Ratings for Dr. Fred Hui

My 23 year old godson has experienced severe migraine headaches since the age of 14. I have taken him to our family doctor who referred him to the MIGRAINE headache program at a local Toronto hospital. He was treated with great care and consideration but the treatments prescribed over a number of years simply did not work. His school life suffered as did his social life and his physical health deteriorated over time. We finally decided to consult with Dr. Fred H. Dr. H. and his assistants conductive a thorough verbal assessment as well as administering the usual tests for blood pressure and heart rate. When Dr. H. sat my godson on the examining table, he placed his gloved hand into the young man's mouth. He felt around a bit and then told us that his wisdom teeth were impacted and needed to be removed immediately. He assured us that the problem would be solved and that my godson would be headache free. Amazingly, as soon as the impacted wisdom teeth were surgically removed, the severe migraines stopped. This surgery took place in September, 2016 . It is now mid February, 2017. There has not been even one occurrence of a migraine headache. My godson's life has improved dramatically in every aspect of his being . He is studying and working and enjoying life. This doctor is totally brilliant. We will be forever grateful. Cynthia Karlton

flag | Submitted February 5, 2017

I had lots of hope to see this doctor and have proper diagnoses and treatment. First visit he told me that he knows what is my health "problem" and he knows how to treat it and that after his treatment I will be OK. It was 20 and 20 IV for the beginning and after 5 IV that I will start to feel better. I was very happy to hear this and had lots of hope. This was a nice begging . The rest is not so nice. I went to his clinic for more than 1 year spend almost $20000 had 100 IV drips. And now after his treatment I am much WORSE. I had always appointment, but had to wait sometimes 6 -8 hours. His medical assistants were every time different people and big problem is that they can hardly speak English, to write in English is even worse. They never wrote what I said, . Dr is very nice person, but he only google "thing" every visit and every visit told me something else( to go to chiropractor, to go to biological dentist etc. He never told me any diagnosis and I was thinking that he needs maybe more time. When I told him that I am getting worse ( and he saw it) he only continue with peroxide IV . After 1 year when I told him that I am running out of money he finally told me his diagnoses, his diagnoses was that MY COMPUTER IS BROKEN, I ask him what kind of illness is this. He wasn't able to tell me. His answer was that I did my " graduation". In my case he was selling me HOPE. Very expensive hope. He didn't try to diagnose me and properly treat me. Everything was only about his money. This is my experience. He didn't help me at all.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2017

Appointments with Dr Fred H are often late but we don't mind because as a community of patients we know that someone must have really needed help. Not that long ago that person was me. I arrived at his office in 2011 with a combination of physical and mental health symptoms that had been met with skepticism by other practitioners. My wife was helping me to stand; I was 57 years old. My thinking was muddled to the point where I was having trouble following conversation and I couldn't catch my breath. The truth is that there are a lot of people with ill-defined, chronic, metabolically based illnesses who have fallen through the cracks and this is where Dr Fred H comes in. He thinks outside the box and digs for the answers. He partners with patients and really listens to their symptoms and in doing so he makes progress with patients that have until that time have not been listened to or alternatively, have not been believed, Dr Fred H helped me to recover from Bipolar Disorder which he understood was not a disease so much as a collection of symptoms related to underlying metabolic dysregulation. I won't dwell on this but I had been exposed to a lot of toxins on the farm as a child. I also recovered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome after treating a B12 deficiency and a couple of Stealth Infections. One last point. Dr Fred H has always treated me with respect. Some of you will know that is by no means guaranteed when presenting at a Dr's office with perplexing symptoms. I was able to return to work and have since retired. I only see Dr H occasionally now as I am leading a full and active life.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

I have experienced being examined and taken care of by doctors that were GP's, specialist, and surgeons. That being said this doctor just set the bar even higher. His complete thoroughness blew me away. I went in to see if he could do something for a groin pain that has been hanging on for the last 2 years and not getting any better. After his assistant took down my medical history the doctor came in to see me. He asked me a few questions and then had me lie down on the table. He lift and moved my right leg in a few different positions until he was able to get the pain to occur. In that position with the right ankle lying on my left knee the pain was there and sharp. He had me turn on my right side so that he could put an acupuncture needle in my left buttocks then lay back on my back and put one needle in my left groin area. He had me wait minute then asked me to put my right ankle on my left knee. I did and there was no pain. he pushed down a bit on my right knee to give my groin a small twist, still no pain. Took the needles out, I stood up, still no pain. walking up a staircase would normally kill me and now zero pain. A total of a 10 minutes acupuncture section. The following week I had another appointment. Laying on my back with my feet flat on the table I could drop my left leg 90 degrees and lay it on the table. My right leg could only drop 45 degrees and then there was a sharp pain. Applying and little down pressure on my knee would shoot the pain all over my body. He put about 5 needles in different areas including one in my right arm pit. He gently applied pressure to my right knee and got my leg to fall another 40 plus degrees with zero pain. pulled the needles out and 3 weeks later still no pain and my leg is acting as if there never was a problem. He asked if I wanted to have my blood sent to a lab for analysis to check out the rest of my body and I said yes. It came back my thyroid levels were way to low and vitamin D3 also low. Not one doctor in the last 66 years has asked me if I wanted to see how the rest of my body is doing. We have a history of diabetes in our family and he asked if I wanted to wait until I possibly got diabetes or do I want to check as to ware I am now with it. He told me what kit to buy and have one good heavy carbohydrate meal, wait 2 hours and test your blood. That should give me my worst case scenario. I did it and passed. He also told me to loss my belly (approximately 50 lbs) and the diet to follow. All I can say to anyone out there who is reading this and wants a doctor to tell you the truth and will give you the results with your co operation see this doctor. I am not being paid to say this, the results he gave me is my payment from him.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

If you want to start a new chapter in your health or your tired of getting the same answers and still having the same symptoms I would recommend you to allow Him to be your guide. Honesty, integrity, wonderful bedside manner and patience top the list of his attributes as an individual and a doctor. He uses both Western and Eastern medicine so you get the best of both methods. All grounds are covered ! Brilliant! Over the last 10 years of being his patient he has become one of my favourite people in the world and I am sure it is the same for all of his patients. He brought me back to vibrant health after listening to the symptoms I was experiencing and requesting the correct tests and blood work thereafter I began my journey to better health and balanced living. A doctor teaches. This is the meaning of the word. And He does this, he gives you back the power, the innate knowledge of your health that is so rightly ours to begin with. You are kept in the loop with his thoughts and he explains everything so you understand where you are at currently and where you need to go or where he would like to see you reach . We have to work with what we have as our foundation and build from there . I have learned to balance my own health as an individual with His help and I become stronger than I was when I was younger. I swear I am growing younger! I feel amazing ! I go for little tune ups here and there because I love sports and get a few aches and pains. I like to push myself a bit too much. But I have learned to listen to my body . It took time and help and guidance. A good doctor helps like this. We need more like him. I wish everyone had a doctor like him. Humble, kind and always learning himself. His staff are the same !! Wow ! Everyone there is just so lovely ! I feel revived, renewed every time I go ! Better than a spa ! I wish you all luck in deciding to see our Doctor . All my friends and family have seen him. I don't push them , they ask. They have seen me change. And change is a wonderful thing. Good luck everyone in 2017.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Thank you Dr. H. for saving my LIFE!!! If anyone is looking to live their life of Healthy and Energy living and STOP living with health issues that no Doctor seems to have any solutions to, you NEED TO VISIT DR. H.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a 71 year old woman, wife, mother & grandmother and because of Dr. H. I am on the road to recovery and enjoy the Best Healthy LIFE! With my Family! Being a type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years, that caused excess weight gain. Which caused a domino of other health issues. High Blood pressure, chronic Diarrhea, UTI, Ecoli, swollen legs, ankles etc... and had no clue that I was days away of KIDNEY FAILURE! TODAY, I am insulin free, diarrhea free, off 23 medications and finally losing all this bloating and weight gain throughout my entire body. Dr. H is without a doubt EXCEPTIONAL, along with his staff. His outstanding knowledge, patience, understanding and compassion were heart warming and reassuring. I am his biggest fan and would recommend him to EVERYONE! From the bottom of my heart, I Thank you for helping take charge of my life to a road of Healthy Living. With all my gratitude, Mary.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2017

I made an appointment with this doctor 8 months ago and was really looking forward to his help with my health concern. I am a big believer in treating the root cause and not just masking symptoms with medication, which is why I chose to go to this doctor after reading the numerous positive reviews on this site. I can only assume after my visit, that these are paid reviews as my experience was the polar opposite. He has been rated consistently 5 for punctuality when I waited 2 hours for my appointment and there is a sign on his reception desk that says please expect to wait up to 2 hours even with an appointment. I find it very strange that he would still be rated 5 on punctuality if these are valid reviews. Nonetheless, I was happy to wait, thinking I would be getting a detailed assessment and finally getting to the bottom of my concerns. After about an hour and a half, a medical assistant brought me to a room and proceeded to ask me some questions. His english was not very good and I kept having to correct what he wrote, as he was writing the exact opposite of what I said (that is not an exaggeration). I took the time to correct his writing, assuming that the doctor would actually be reading the notes (I should not have concerned myself). When the doctor finally came in and I told him about a reoccurring rash, he proceeded to first tell me he saw nothing - I had already mentioned that I didn't have it at the time and that it comes and goes every few days. He then googled the symptoms and looked at treatments and proceeded to prescribe all the regular 'masking symptoms' medications that were listed under Treatment (on the internet). I said repeatedly that I wanted to get to the root of the problem, but he didn't seem to understand or care. I was very upset as I had waited 8 months just to get an appointment and I could have seen another doctor who actually cared to help treat my issues in that time. This doctor charges OHIP and the patient a hefty sum separately for his 'services' and I could have gone to a walk-in clinic for free with the exact same result or better. This seems unethical and he should not be taking advantage of patients that have real concerns that are affecting their lives the way he did. Please think twice before going to this doctor as I personally don't think any of his reviews could be real after the experience I had here.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2016

Finally, I have experienced a family doctor in Toronto who essentially responded to my health concern with the statement " I want to get to the bottom of your concern and find out what has caused this health concern". In other words, someone who doesn't treat symptoms but wants to find the root cause. What a relief! I landed up via a circuitous route looking for an MD who practices acupuncture as that is the only practitioner my health insurance agrees to reimburse the costs. I have headaches since I was a teenager, which developed into migraines. I had breast cancer followed several years later by a melanoma in situ. Some recurring backproblems too, not to mention brain fog, tiredness, lack of energy, some weekends I would stay in bed to catch up in order to get to work on Monday. After meeting Lawrence in Dr. Hui's office, I realized I was going to have a serious conversation about my health since the questionnaire, lists of medications, questions about surgeries was very detailed. When I met Dr. Hui our conversation was annotated by himself, and his copy given to me for reference. He provided an overview of how he was going to proceed, the reading list that was my part of the relationship, and dealt with the migraine that I had in that appointment. It was so refreshing an experience in Toronto that I remain impressed to this day, as every appointment so far has proceeded the same way: to update my medications, how I feel etc etc. The result has been bio equivalent medication to raise my cortisol levels, which were shown to be flat lining compared to what an average cortisol curve range is expected to show. This alone has made a world of difference in my life. My friends have noticed and for the first time in my life I wake up ready and happy to face the day. Dr. Hui has also tested food sensitivities, recommended acupuncture for the migraines and has essentially, through a vigorous process of analysis, brought me back to life! What an extraordinary Doctor,! His wisdom, patience and thoroughness are a rare gift which the College of Physicians needs to recognize. As past presidents and founding member of various associations; acupuncture, to name just one, Dr. Hui continues to show his interest in viewing the whole person from his vantage point of western and eastern medicine, and developing that point of view here in Toronto. He has given me my life back for which I am very grateful.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

For 15 years I didn’t know what was wrong with me. It started slowly when I was about 26 yrs old and progressed to where I had such fatigue, exhaustion, brain fog. I couldn’t handle even the slightest amount of stress, and I slept 10 hours straight every night, but still woke up tired. My fatigue and exhaustion were so bad that I haven’t been on a vacation since my whole ordeal started. Just packing a suitcase was exhausting and the thought of vacationing was too stressful. I had to quit working full time and go part time. Every day, I waited for the day to end so that I could go to bed to sleep, only to wake up tired again. I also had extremely heavy periods with clots the size of brussel sprouts. My ferritin levels was very low. Despite taking daily iron pills for 30 yrs, my ferritin levels never budged. I told my family doctor that I think I have a low thyroid but my TSH levels came back normal. Then, one day I read an article about Adrenal Fatigue. I had all the symptoms. So, I took B-Complex 50 vitamins like the article suggested. It helped with the brain fog and I was finally able to sleep and wake up refreshed, but I still had fatigue and exhaustion throughout the day and I still wasn’t able to handle any stress. I continued going to my family doctor, insisting I have Adrenal Fatigue, but she didn’t know what it was or how to treat it; and I still suspected that I had a low thyroid but she wouldn’t take extensive tests because my TSH was still normal and she couldn’t refer me to an endocrinologist based on my normal TSH. She told me my periods were normal if they come regularly and that my ferritin doesn’t matter because my hemoglobin is fine!!??? So, after 15 years of feeling like crap, I decided this year (2016) I was going to find out what was wrong with me and get treated. I searched the Internet for good thyroid doctors and found Dr. Hui on a thyroid blog. It was a 4 month wait to see him, but well worth it. Dr. Hui’s assistant took a thorough history and ordered more extensive lab work and a saliva test. As a result, I was put on an iron pill that is better absorbing (to increase my ferritin) and progesterone cream (to decrease my heavy periods). Both worked wonderfully. My periods are half of what they were and with hardly any clots. My ferritin level went up from 12 to 47 in 2 months!! I have no more fast/fluttering heartbeat and I have more energy. After he got back the saliva test, it showed that I have low cortisol levels (Adrenal Fatigue or low adrenal function, as I suspected) Dr. Hui started me on a low dose of Cortef and suggested I take the Adrenal IV drip. But since I’m terrified of needles I couldn’t do it. So instead he put me on Adrenal supplements. I am happy to say that my fatigue, exhaustion and inability to handle stress is greatly improved. I am now able to function at work and at home like everybody else I know. I even have the energy and stamina after a full day, to do light exercises like walking. Lastly, after he took more extensive testing for my thyroid levels, it showed that my T3 was on the low side. So finally, I am on thyroid medication. All this I told my family doctor for years and years. And for 15 years I was left untreated. (I have one more embarrassing symptom I am hoping will resolve, but since I referred people I don’t want to mention it right now. I will do a follow up if it resolves.) Dr. Hui is expensive if you compare him to free, OHIP covered family doctors. However, I looked at 3 other doctors on that Thyroid blog and their initial consult and follow up appointment fees were a bit more than Dr. Hui’s. If you compare Dr. Hui’s fees to other Dr.’s like him (non-OHIP covered doctors) he is a very reasonable price. If I had to spend my money on a new couch/vacation or a piece of jewelry, I would gladly spend it on Dr. Hui. I only wish I had done this sooner, instead of wasting 15 years of my life feeling like crap every day.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2016

I have been going to the Chelation Center in Barrie since 2010. His approach is very very simple. Does it work, keep it. If not forget it. I could see the tremendous pressure he has had to endure from the medical establishment because his approach to medicine and health is not conventional, but he is persistent, and his patients will support him, both for his sake, and their own.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2016