Ratings for Dr. Paul A. Mitchell

I find it curious that the honest comments about his sub-par treatment approach are continually removed. For a profession that aims to "do no harm," Dr. Mitchell has done just that. He made me believe that he was the only one who could help me - just one of many red flags. I do not recommend this doctor.

Submitted August 1, 2017

Dr Mitchell is a wonderful person. He is the first therapist to actually help me. The other 3 that I saw several years ago were not helpful. They were kind and listened to my complains, but the only advice was put your self first. Dr Mtchell was very different. He taught me how to love myself and gave me the confidence to speak my mind. He helped me understand that the way I had always "placed" myself was causing me to be very unhappy. He is extremely intelligent and I trust him 100%. His advice in dealing with several people in my live has made Things so much better. It's like a light has been turned on for me. When he suggests strategies I seem to instinctively know he is right. They are usually something I thought about already and dismissed because I thought I was not being nice. But it was me I was not being nice to. Thank you so much Dr Mitchell. You are terrific. I really hope you write a book someday to pass on your great understanding of human nature.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2017

Great man with greater knowledge. His sessions require strength, and are just the sort of poking and prodding of sore spots which we require more of in today's world. Socratic trust is key for success and has never been violated, and so I speak for those he has helped in that these accusations flown from the blue are likely made by an individual too weak for the process that any successful case must endure. He uses really rather new-age methods which require honesty, comfort and a willingness to truly 'see' oneself. So I address the fragile minds out there that most fragility is self-inflicted and self-manifested; He will assist you to see things you did not know (or rather did not want to know?) were there and see you through like family. It is truly eye opening modern practice when that door closes. I highly recommend Dr. Mitchell as well as his methods.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2017

Dr. Mitchell provides a specific type of psychotherapy that may not be for everyone. You will need to work harder than you ever have in order to reap the benefits. He has always conducted himself in a professional matter and these accusations have had no effect on his ability to practice medicine. They are just that: accusations. Dr. Mitchell is passionate about his work and knowledgeable beyond belief. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

Dr Mitchell conducts himself professionally during appointments. He is someone whose knowledge and therapy method I trust. I haver never felt uneasy with him or thŕeatened in any way.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

People are "rating" and "reviewing" Dr. Mitchell by posting information (some of it literally copy/pasted I might add) from an article from the Ottawa Citizen. This is a review site where we rate our doctors based on our experience. So please allow me to review Dr. Mitchell based on my experience. After 12 years of trying different methods and specialists for my anxiety, I was finally referred to Dr. Mitchell. I have been his patient for three years. His method has completely turned my life around. Nothing will work instantly or perfectly when it comes to mental health (you need to accept this) but I have improved drastically and have never felt more like the person I'm supposed to be: successful, intelligent, independent and talented. Before therapy, I wasn't following my true passions or respecting who I was. I was in an absolutely terrible, abusive relationship I was too afraid to leave. In respect to the allegations, you need to understand that health professionals face these kind of situations. Mental health professionals even more so because of the nature of the illnesses of their patients. Mental health is ALWAYS a factor in false accusations (think about it: it's not a mentally normal thing to do, to accuse someone of something they haven't done, now is it?) Mental health professionals face patients who are prone to this sort of behaviour. I have no authority to say if the allegations are true or not, but he is innocent until proven guilty. And even then, sometimes people are proven guilty when they are not. Think about that. So if you want to change your life for the better, I would highly recommend Dr. Mitchell. If not, then good. That way there'll be more appointment time for someone like me, who wants to help themselves.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

In my experience Dr. Mitchell is a very caring doctor. His advice was always directed towards helping me see reality. He was reassuring and I always felt that I was the focus. He never ever discussed his personal life. He kept the conversation on me. He would help me think of ways to resolve the conflicts I was having, rather than giving me the answers. He encouraged me to speak openly and directly, which was difficult at first. He would use what if scenarios to make me think. He taught me so many ways to get what I wanted and needed. I now have the confidence to trust in my own opinions, rather than always give in to others. He showed me that it is ok to show emotion without fear of rejection. Believe me I am a much happier person because of Dr. Mitchell. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who wants to work hard with him to happier.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017

I would'nt be where I am today if it wasn't for Dr Mitchell. He has such a unique way of getting you to understand things, I'm not surprised of all this negative feedback. Not all doctors are fit for everyone. He helped me tremendously when many other doctors couldn't help me. I will forever be thankful.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2016

Dr. Mitchell offers a really unique type of psychotherapy - but it is really for those who wish to work really hard at understanding their pathology and their relationships with others.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2016

Dr. Mitchell...when I was first going to him he was so accessible and it seemed like he was the first doctor who wasnt pushing pills on me and was going to really help me. For the first three years I loved him. This past year has been a different story.I went away and I had such bad panick attacks on my trip that I texted him and him to phone in one of my prescription so I could at least be able to get back home. He never responded even though it was quite obvious I was in crisis. Than a box of my pills got thrown away by accident and the pharmacist said all I had to do was get him to call them and authorize an early refill. I texted him and asked him to phone me. I got a text from him and I told him to phone me because my cell phone was dying and he responded saying he would only talk to me by text. I told him my phone was dying and I didnt have my charger, he didnt answer. So when I finally got my charger I explained about the pills. He told me he would not call them and does not renew meds over the phone. I told him it was not a renewal it was an authorization. He wanted me to come to his office and get written permission. But it was 7 oclock at night and I didnt have my car and I live in the opposite end of the city i.e. at least a two hour bus ride. I told him that I needed my meds that night as I didnt have any left and i would be going fom taking 3 pills to no pills. I asked if he cared more about his policy than about my physicall well being i.e. withdrawl. He just said I obviously didnt understand his policy. I told him there acceptations to every rule. He never responded. I told him he was making me scared that I couldn't trust him in a crisis. No response. So he let me go four days without my meds and never checked back to make sure I was ok. so I texted him saying I was cancelling my next appt. no response. I think the thing was most apalling was that he refused to talk to me unless it was text. He didnt care if I wasnt able to use my cell phone. When I first went to him he didnt text and now he refuses to call. I had told him the last session that I really wanted to come twice a week and he said that he couldnt because he is working on a website. Well correct me if I am wrong but a patient who is telling you they are getting worse and really wants to dig into therapy should not get brushed aside...website should be done on your own time pal. I am very disappointed and hurt over his stubborness. I had been a patient for almost four years and had never asked him to call for anything and he just didnt care.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2016

Dr. Paul A. Mitchell's Credentials

• The University of Western Ontario (Grad. 1981)

MSP/BC Med