Ratings for Dr. Darwana T. Ratleff

I had never been to an OB/GYN who had NO bedside manners, no tact, no humility, and no compassion until now. Darwana Ratleff (I find it hard to call her a doctor) was the worst doctor's visit I have ever experienced. I could have gone to see a 3 year old and get told the same information I was told by Darwana. I went in to get a Mirena IUD consultation because I already had had the IUD in place for over a year, but did not feel I received enough information about it from my previous OB/GYN/Midwife (who moved out of state) who placed it in me. I was having some issues like Anxiety and Depression among other issues and had read up on the Mirena IUD online and found out on MULTIPLE websites that it can contribute to my issues. There were MANY other women who were on the same boat as me and once they had the IUD removed, they started to feel better. So my intentions were to see an expert on the IUD, get my questions answered, and have the IUD removed. Darwana didn't even let me get that far. Once I told her my concerns about the IUD and the symptoms I had been having, she quickly put on a defense. It's like I was offending her personally. She quickly cut me off, dismissed my concerns, was NOT compassionate (even though I was in tears by then), and said I just need to try another IUD - the Paragard, in which by the end of the visit, she handed me the brochure. A tissue would have been more preferable. Anyways, my husband was waiting for me in the waiting area and saw me exit in tears. After paying the co-pay (which was a BIG waste of my $30), my husband told me that there were IUD brochures in the waiting area. So putting two and two together, it was obvious Darwana got her little feelings hurt because I was not in support of a product that her office/she most likely endorsed and probably gets a cut in pay for recommending to her patients. SO sorry Darwana for not liking a product you endorse and get paid for! This product was a contributor to my anxiety and depression (which you did not agree with) because I had it removed shortly after my visit with you with an actual professional and my anxiety and depression diminished. Please learn some bedside manners and get some compassion! I will never recommend you to anyone!

flag | Submitted June 26, 2016

I went to see Dr. Ratleff for a physical and to talk over some issues. I am an older lady, this may be why I was not pleased with the outcome of my visit- She was nice, but did not seem to have much knowledge concerning older women. When I asked about estrogen she did not seem to know a lot, and when I ask about the medicines for osteoporosis she admitted she knew very little about them and could not recommend any, but if there was one I would like for her to look up she would ,other than that she knew nothing about them . While I went there for an physical exam which I had not had in awhile, she never used the interment one normally uses to insert to look inside for any abnormal tissue, instead she inserted her finger quickly and said all was OK. I was taken aback by this, never have I been to a obgyn that inserted a finger to see if everything was normal. I should have stated something to her or the staff but was embarrassed, so I said nothing .. There was no one else in the room even though she had asked if I wanted someone before the so called exam I said no because I felt at that time there was no need, But I wish that I had someone else in the room , maybe she would have done a proper exam. She was very nice but for me she did not do a proper exam nor did she answer any of my concerns on estrogen or osteoporosis. As a older female these issues are also something I feel that a doctor that treats women should know something about and can discuss. I was disappointed and also felt using a finger was inappropriate and not a proper exam to tell if anything was wrong.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

I love Ratleff, she is amazing. She is caring, smart, and listens to the patient needs completely.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2014

Dr. Ratleff is a very good Dr. - she takes the time to listen to what's going on and is interested in treating the whole person, not just things related to obstetrics/gynecology.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2009

Dr. Darwana T. Ratleff's Credentials

• Louisiana State University School Of Medicine In New Orleans (Grad. 2000)