Ratings for Dr. Wendy Lam

Starting in November 2014 my wife, Margaret, began having bouts of dizziness every now and then which gradually became worse. It got so bad that she couldn't even walk 10 feet without falling to the floor unconscious. She lost a lot of weight, became very weak and looked like something out of a horror movie. In February 2016, our family doctor (Dr. Ian Dugdale, Dewdney Medical) requested that she have a blood test done. The next day we got a call from Dewdney Medical. Dr. Dugdale wants me to take her to Emergency at Ridge Meadows Hospital immediately. At Ridge Meadows Hospital, she was treated by Dr. Alan Hargreaves. He said her hemoglobin count was dangerously low at 77. She had 13 hours of blood transfusion. Afterwards my wife felt better again, but not out of the woods. Dr. Hargreaves wasted no time in contacting Dr. Wendy Lam (Oncologist / Hematologist at Burnaby Hospital) , who was back east at the time. Dr. Lam was able to see her quickly. She took detailed notes and arranged a bone marrow biopsy. It confirmed that my wife had full blown Waldenstrom's Disease – a rare cancer like disease that thickens the blood and effects vital organs. That was not good news and neither were the odds from what I have learned! Each year approximately 1,000 to 1,500 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with the disease. My wife had the highest blood viscosity Dr. Lam has ever seen. Dr. Lam was very pleasant and very organized. She wasted no time in getting things done. She immediately arranged a plasma exchange to thin the blood at Vancouver General which was necessary before my wife can start with chemotherapy at Burnaby Hospital. At Vancouver General, we met Dr. Paul Yenson and Dr. Parkin (both in the Apheresis Unit) who also took detailed notes and thoroughly explained the entire plasma exchange procedure to us. Her blood was too thick and several times the machine appeared to jam up and had to be reset. Eventually, it went very well and she was now able to have the chemotherapy. Dr. Lam then setup a 7 month chemotherapy program for her. I am happy to say that the chemotherapy treatment at Burnaby Hospital was successful. It is a very busy place and well organized. My very special thanks to Dr. Lam and her team. I was impressed with the way Dr. Lam and her staff treated my wife. This year I accompanied my wife to these hospitals for a total of 37 times and watched doctors and staff work. I witnessed first hand how these people are under a great deal of pressure and must stay focused on saving lives and making people well again....not an easy task! It was an eyeopener and I am very grateful to all the doctors and their staff mentioned in this letter for their quick action and wonderful service they gave to my wife.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2016

Needs human relations skills classes and the like! She said some horrid things to me at my last appointment, September 2016. A few days later I fired her! As a doctor, especially an oncologist, this behaviour is so unacceptable for any human being. Too bad many people are puppets in the cancer/ patient role. Choose wisely good luck my friends!

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

I've been a patient of Dr. Lam for more than 6 years. I have nothing but praise for her. She is always pleasant, prompt (I never wait more than half an hour for my appointment), thorough and knowledgeable. Her staff are also courteous and efficient. I have been in remission for a while - I have checkups every 2 months to make sure I stay that way. I highly recommend Dr. Lam and thank her for her professionalism and caring attitude.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

I see her on hand and now I believe. Very cold with no compassion. During the appointment with no interaction and took out food from her bag and start eating. Worst...resent appointment she reading blood works result from previous appointment.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2016

Waited 3 hours at Burnaby hospital to be told that my appointment was cancelled and doctor lam would be out to speak to me again waited and she didn't show walked out in disgust if I have missed appointment she would have charged me 70$ also gentlemen after me was cancelled to

flag | Submitted October 19, 2015

Saw this Dr once and wouldn't choose to see her again. She ate while doling out unsettling news and it felt easy to become dehumanized when she spoke.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2015

Awesome- kind caring but to the point. on time and well organized.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

The worst human being on this ****ing planet. She is a disgrace to every doctor and person. Not only is she late, and has a lack of respect towards her patients, she has no care towards the patient and their family members. Just because she's classified as a doctor, does not give her the authority or ability to treat her patients with such lack of care. Everything about Dr. Lam is wrong, and this is a warning to everyone who needs to visit an Oncologist, you are better off seeing any other Doctor than this heartless woman. I truly wish the best for all other sick ones and this is a warning that if you would like to receive care and support, Dr. Lam is the last person on the planet that could provide those resources for you. I hope she gets fired due to the amount of hatred spoken about. A evil soulless less of a being is what she is.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2014

WORST BED SIDE MANNER I have ever experienced. She actually made a point of saying what would be convenient for HER. Who does that to a "patient." Second time an appointment was rescheduled and she did not acknowledge or apologize for this... proving that it was all about "her" and not her patients.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2013

Saw this doctor twice. Both times, during the consultation, she fell asleep at her desk right in front of us.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2012