Ratings for Dr. Austin Chen

She put actual lies into my medical chart because I hurt her ego.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2015

First, let me say that I worked for a decade as a healthcare administrator so I know a little about doctors and their offices/policies. I have never met a doctor as rude and aggressive as Austin Chen. Her office couldn't deal with my insurance co. correctly, so there was a delay in her payment. Not only did she herself call me, and when I didn't return her call THAT VERY DAY, she called my elderly mother and complained to her that I wasn't being responsible. I kid you not about her calling my mother the very day after her call to me. AND after I had already talked to her staff many times. You're not the only busy one, you rude, horrible woman. My poor mother who lives in another state and had no idea what was happening, called me in a panic. Long story short, I had to call the insurance co myself many times and straighten things out b/c her office was clueless. They did get their payment, and I got no apology. It was shocking. DO NOT go to this doctor. Horrid in every way.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2013

Dr. Chen delivered my 1st baby.She was very excited by my desire for a natural childbirth in the Roosevelt Birthing Center.Her advice and support felt more like a doula than an OB.My baby was "sunny side up" and had shoulder dystocia. I couldn't handle the pain and Dr. Chen was immediately receptive to my request for an epidural. The baby got stuck on both my pelvic bone and exiting the vaginal opening. She expertly utilized a vacuum to get the baby out.I have been told twice by other doctors (including my baby’s pediatrician with 20+ years of experience) that I must have an amazing OB to have had delivered vaginally under such circumstances. Both mom and baby are healthy! Dr. Chen is a very warm person who absolutely loves babies but she is very direct and matter of fact in her speech, something which I appreciate in a doctor. I would highly recommend Dr. Chen for her extreme support and incredible expertise.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2010

As noted below, she IS rude and is NOT receptive to questioning, gives one the impression of being EXTREMELY defensive. Ask a simple question and she inevitably thinks you're questioning her authority. She also has an annoying habit of praising herself. In general, I'd say personality traits of a doctor is negligible when countered by excellent medical knowledge and practice. BUT as an ex-patient, she made me feel miserable during pregnancy. Majority of my labor was in the back seat of a car because she didnt believe me when i was in labor. I told her all the obvious signs of labor (hours of bleeding, heavy pressure, leaking water), she tells me to go take a shower. I was scared mindless while in labor, all the while being yelled at by her. The list goes on and on. Bottom line is MAYBE some people have good experiences with her, but some people certainly have horrible experiences. With so many excellent OB/GYNs out there, why take the risk. I found one now that I love.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2009

It astounds me when I read anything negative about Dr. Chen and question the type of person the patient must be. I have nothing but the highest regard for Dr. Chen as a doctor and as a person. She's been my gyn. for 12+ years since she was at Soho, and she was my OB for my first child in 2007. She went above and beyond caring and educating me during my pregnancy and labor, even monitoring my diet so I wouldn't gain too much for postpartum. My mom couldn't be with me during labor since she was terminally ill, and it was such a tremendous comfort to have Dr. Chen there guiding me. When we took a birthing class at Realbirth, another woman in the class happened to be Dr. Chen's patient, also with the best experience, and our teacher told us (on the side) that in her experience as a teacher and doula, Dr. Chen is the best doctor in the city. I'm now pregnant with my 2nd and one of the first happy thoughts my husband and I shared when we found out is that we'd get to see Dr. Chen again.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2009

Unbelievable ! I unfortunately went AGAINST my better judgement and stayed with Chen for my entire pregnancy and delivery. NO bedside manner, doesn't particularly listen to you when you have valid concerns. Put me on bedrest, then had me come out to hospital for monitoring and FORGOT she called me to the ER ! During my delivery, she barked at my mother, husband and myself about the delivery of my child not about love. I want to say she isn't totally INSANE, but I think that would be too nice. DO NOT GO TO HER ! On top of it all, she pushes the boundaries of patient comfort levels and is extremely ****. Unfit for birthing babies, my nurse actually revived my newborn at her birth and a day later, Dr Chen claimed she was "not up on resuscitation" when my newborn was born tangled in her umbilical cord.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2009

I went to Dr. Chen for almost 8 years when I was living in NYC. She did my surgery for endometriosis and totally cleared that up. I have not had any recurrence of the disease since then. She is super smart and funny and asks sort of hilarious questions while you are up in the stirrups. I love her cute 1960s floral dresses that she uses and I like that when I told her I experienced cramping, she recommended a glass of red wine to help relax. "Only one!" she remanded! Maybe it is because she is Asian that a lot of people are calling her abrupt and cold, but she is not. She is very kind and nice and I actually miss her a whole lot since I moved to L.A. Anyway, all the Dr. Chen haters don't get it.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2009

Dr. Chen may not be for everyone but I am eternally grateful for her. I am an extremely nervous patient and for 13yrs now she has made obgyn visits relaxing and informative. She takes time to consider my lifestyle and my family with her medical advice and to those women who like her style, I recommend her enthusiastically. I don't believe I would have had the opportunity to be a mother without her and this is priceless! If you want someone who is vague and polite she would not be your best choice of obgyn. But if you want a doctor who is more intune with your whole being/personality, I think she is outstanding.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2009

She is rude, rushed and very unprofessional. A procedure she performed on my daughter was not able to be completed due to a malfunction of the "kit", and she did not have a second "kit" to re-administer the procedure. She brushed it off, yet billed our insurance company for the incomplete work. She did not resolve my daughter's issue and she does not return emails or phone calls. HOWEVER, she will call anyone you put on your patient information sheet (friends, family) at all hours of the day or night if you owe her a balance (which we are obviously disputing). I am pretty sure this an infringement of patient privacy and the privacy of the individuals she is contacting. Which would of course be illegal

flag | Submitted April 25, 2009

I expect to wait for a Dr. which you will with her. BUT unfortunately her punctuality is not the problem. I called her with a positive home pregnancy test result, bleeding, and a history of miscarriage. She put me off 4 days and told me to throw out a sample I saved for testing (my previous Dr recommended this). Then she said "wait what is your last name???? You probably need IVF!!!" Excuse me she doesn't even know my history well; I have only been with her 2 years for standard paps etc. I went to the er instead. They told me I did the right thing because I suspected infection AND I should have saved the sample. Because of her idiocy I missed an opportunity to find out why I suffer pregnancy loss. She is rude and she does not listen she interrupts and makes unscientific sweeping judgements. She seems to have a propensity for blaming her patients. We don't need to be friends with our Drs but compassion should be inherent in the job of healer care-giver. She is a damaging person in the field.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2009