Ratings for Dr. Robert D. McMullen

Amazing psychiatrist! Helped me in every way. He's so kind and understands your problems.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2016

had agreat time with this doctor he took the timeout to tell me everything i need to improve my life

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

Dr. McMullen is a superlative psychiatrist, and he combines it with such empathy and humanity. I had been to numerous previous psychiatrists with very little improvement, as my BiPolar was (previously) treatment resistant. My life has transformed from unbearable to constantly stable, with only occasional very few mostly mild and very brief downticks. Dr. McMullen is one of the few elite doctors I am aware of who constantly keeps abreast of ALL current research and new modalities. My major breakthrough came with Dr. McMullen implementing TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) into my treatment, of which he is one of the very few practitioners who offer this non-invasive, under-promoted miracle. (I do not usually like the term "miracle", as it is overused usually sounds cheesy. This is one of the few times I will use it, as here it truly applies.) My teenage son also manifested BiPolar less than 2 years ago. He was constantly suicidal. Immediately after his 3rd inpatient stay, they released him because he went from "actively suicidal with a plan", to "only" constantly passively suicidal”. This timing coincided with the completion of my course of TMS treatments. After my own success with TMS, and my fear of my son's constant suicidal ideation, I sent him immediately for TMS as well. It is over a year now, and he still is incredulous that he is now almost always actually happy! Suicidality rarely if ever rears its ugly head with him now, and even those few times, only mildly and briefly. I cannot recommend Dr. McMullen, and TMS as well, highly enough!

flag | Submitted March 20, 2015

Dr. McMullen is an excellent psychiatrist and a truly kind and giving man. After years of going to numerous psychiatrists, with little improvement in my depression, I was extremely fortunate to find Dr. McMullen. He was able to figure out what others hadn't managed to, giving me my life back. I always feel respected and "listened to" by Dr. McMullen. He has also helped other members of my family and has helped us to be a better support to them. He is extremely knowledgeable in the area of psychopharmacology and emotional illness. Dr. McMullen is committed to finding the best that is out there, in order to best help his patients, incorporating nutritional therapy along with offering cutting-edge treatments, sharing his knowledge. I'm very glad that I know him ... he really is the best.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2015

Dr. McMullen has gone far and wide to address my treatment resistant depression with meds, adding literature research and specialist consultations, with the sole purpose of treating me and his other patients. His use of TMS has made a major impact on my depression, on my life. Without it, I'm not sure where I'd be.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2014

I have known Dr. McMullen for 35+ years. He treated my mother and has been treating me for very mild depression after her death. I consider him to be both a friend and my physician - kind, humble and caring in every way.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2014

Best in NYC for sure. He knows everything. He understands a blood test and prescribes only what is needed. If you work with him and have patience he can change your life dramatically. I have gone from vegetable to human. It took a while to figure out what I responded to best because I started with him many years ago. Medicine has avanced since then and so has he. He is cutting edge but not in over his head or reckless. It may take some time to get everything to normal but he is the guy. I have recommended others and they have all been happy.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

I have been with Dr. McMullen for twelve years now. I was in an extreme crisis state when I first started seeing him and had weekly appointments. Within 2 years Dr. McMullen had me stabilized, and I have been on maintenance appointments quarterly for the last 10 years. There have been crisises during the last 10 years, but due to our history Dr. McMullen has been able to restabilize me immediately. He is an excellent doctor, and I would not hesitate recommending him to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2014

Dr. McMullen has singlehandedly changed my life in a monumental way. When I went to him on my 49th birthday, June 4. 2014, I was so suicidally depressed many members of my treatment team were very afraid I wouldn't make it. Realizing the critical nature of my illness, Dr. McMullen had me treated THAT SAME DAY--in fact, right after my appointment. Trans Cranial Magnetic Stimulation--the use of electromagnetic stimulation to "hot spots" in the brain--has saved my life. I am no longer really very depressed (I was depressed for a lifetime--49 years and suicidal all day every day for 20 years) and I rarely have suicidal ideation. I am now working with my therapist on reasons to live and how to look forward to my life. I'm sure I'll always have to deal with depression because I have a very bad case, but the core of my troubles has been eliminated and here I stand, awed at what has happened and not knowing what to think. If you're suffering, RUN--don't walk--to Dr. McMullen. He is a kind, caring, competent, and compassionate professional who gives his all to his work and will never let a patient down. I owe my life to Dr. McMullen and praise the day I graced his doorstep! TMS should be more recognized by the therapeutic and medical community as it is a non-invasive, painless, and trauma-free way to heal from the depths of depression. I've tried all the meds, electroconvulsive therapy, everything naturopathic but NOTHING worked until this. This is truly a life-changer and very revolutionary.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2014

Dr. M is very knowledgable and results oriented. He carefully considers whatever information his patients, their families, & others provide.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014