Ratings for Dr. Jay R. Mellen

I've had two procedures done by Dr. Mellen. I have the utmost respect Dr. Mellen professionalismand knowledge. In addition, I had complete confidence in his care.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

THE FIRST MEETING IN HOSPITAL WAS ABOUT 1 MINUTE, I WAS IN EXTREME PAIN AND NEEDED SOME IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE INTO THE BATHROOM. DO YOU THINK HE COULD ACTUALLY REACH OUT AND HELP A PATIENT? I IMMEDIATELY DID NOT LIKE HIS DEMEANOR AND I ASKED THE STAFF IN OPERATING ROOMS AND THE FLOOR STAFF IN HOSPITAL. BOTTOM LINE I AS A PATIENT DID NOT LIKE OR RESPECT HIM AND THE FEEDBACK FROM THE STAFF IS THEY FEEL THE SAME WAY!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2013

What do those whinning people want? In my experience, Dr. Mellen is a no nonsense straight talker. Not exactly personable but professional and knowledgeable. I still see him. As far as starting a procedure before the anesthesia was in effect,,,I simply don't believe that. Shut up.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2012

The staff was very nice as was Marie from scheduling for a colonoscopy with Jay Mellen. I was told they would call me, however, Marie said she was too busy to call when I called, I couldn't get in until the first of the year (which they didn't have that calendar yet.)Oh, I could schedule Dec. 23rd... right or the 28th when I'm away for the holidays! Mind you, I saw Dr. Mellen on November first, waited over two weeks for them to call me and then must wait another two months for the surgery. Dr. Mellon seemed competent and quite nice but I'm going with a different office and doctor. I understand now why the ratings are so low. Not good practice to run a business this way.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2012

don't waste your time or money with these clowns!!! no personal level of service, no considerations, un-organized and untrained front office, poor documentaion and over all an unfriendly doctor and staff. take your health needs to a professional, stay away from JAY MELLON and clowns.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2012

I totally disagree with what I've read here. I found Dr. Mellen to be very professional and knowledgeable. He may come across a bit rough but that's just his nature. If you don't like his attitude, go away. More appt times for the rest of us.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2012

Rude and unprofessional, talks quickly and does not listen.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2012

I saw this doctor after having suffered diverticulitis 4 times and I was still having abdominal pain. He was very aloof and uncaring. He performed a colonscopy and didn't wait for the anesthesia before inserting the scope, which was very uncomfortable. He didn't even talk to my husband or me after the procedure. I found another specialist.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2009

I went to Dr Mellen a couple of years ago complaining of very severe abdominal pain. He ran an upper endoscopy and blood work. Everything came back negative and i was told there was nothing wrong and sent home. It has been two years since my first and last visit with him and i am still experiencing very severe abdominal pains. The other specialists i have seen have told me that i have chronic gastritis and gallbladder disease. I have gotten my gallbladder removed and am on medication to heal my stomach lining. If i would have stayed and listened to dr mellen i would be vomiting up blood and seriously ill. When i told him of my problems at the time he looked at me like i was crazy and was a hypocrondiac. I would never recommend anyone to him!

flag | Submitted June 17, 2009

Dr. Mellen performed an ERCP procedure on me last May. During the procedure he "accidently" perforated my duodenum and common bile duck which allowed bile to escape into my abdomen causing EXTREME pain and peritonitis. This is a very, very rare complication, less than 1% chance. I spent a horrific 6 weeks in the hospital for what should have been an out-patient procedure. He was rude and careless and it almost cost me my life. Jay Mellen has no right being a doctor for many reasons like those listed in the review below. He also has failed his medical boards multiple times and from the review bellow it looks like I am not the only one he "messed-up" on. My advice, ask for another doctor.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2009

Dr. Jay R. Mellen's Credentials

• Univ Auto De Guadalajara, Fac De Med, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico (Grad. 1977)

Commercial Insurance Company