Ratings for Dr. Joseph R. Stern

I truly enjoyed Dr. Joseph Sterns help with my bunions. He walked me through the procedure and I am finally relieved from them I would highly recommend Dr. Stern!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2016

All I can say is a pair of Ecco Shoes which cost me $159 helped me much more than $600 I spent on orthotic insoles recommended by DR. Stern and not to mention 4 visits I have had with him in his clinic . Very disappointed.

Submitted April 26, 2015

Dr. Stern assessed my foot because I was complaining about sore arches. He told me to do some stretching to help improve blood flow but did not recommend orthotics since my problem was preliminary. He advised I come back if I still had complaints in 2 weeks. He was friendly, thorough and knowledgeable. His front desk staff was also polite and processed me right away.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2015

this is one of the rudest dr's I have ever met. I took my elderly mother to him. She had already spent a lot of money on special soles for her shoes and was told she now needed to buy special shoes. He gave her the name of several stores, when she commented these where very expensive stores, and she was on a limited pension, he made the motion of playing a tiny violin and said "cry me a river, I have heard it all before. Besides you can't take the money with you to the grave can you?" I was appalled that he spoke to my mother this way, then he turned to me and said "besides you seem to have lots of time to drive your mother to all these appointments so obviously you can afford not to work so paying for the shoes should not be an issue " To say anything like this to a patient is not only totally unprofessional but also extremely rude and very arrogant. No dr has the right to judge anyone's financial status. This dr is making comments without knowing anything the about people he just insulted. I would not recommend this dr to ANYONE!!!!!

flag | Submitted January 17, 2015

I've seen many doctors across the lower mainland and Dr. Stern was unfortunately extremely unprofessional and unhelpful. All he seemed worried about was his bottom line - fitting me for his orthotics without a thorough exam and dismissing any other person who makes orthotics. Having seen some fantastic specialists in the past, it was very apparent Dr. Stern does not fall into their category. I'm sure he is very competent at what he does but customer service should always come first.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2014

Very professional ! Love his orthotics. Takes very good care of my feet. He knows what he is doing.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2014

I saw Dr Stern because of knee pain I was experiencing thanks to my flat feet and overpronation. As someone who is very active, it was important for me to see someone who had experience working with athletes - which is one of the reasons I chose him specifically. My only regret is that I didn't see him earlier. He is very knowledgable, funny and patient in answering any questions you have. The orthotics he fitted for me have worked out beautifully. I did read the other reviews on this site before seeing him, and to be honest, I really can't understand those couple comments about him being cold or uninformative. Not my experience at all. I also found the lady working at the front desk to be very pleasant and helpful.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2014

Been going to him for years and he is good....quirky (personality)....but good.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2013

i went to dr stern because my wife was presecribed orthotics by him years ago when she had plantars facitis...it worked almost immediately....had same problem plus some calcification on same foot on small toe joint....i have had orthotics and after first week little improvement....but after 3 weeks i am well on road to recovery ....about 75% improved.....i shied away from all the heavily advertised cheaper shopping mall retailers....wanted a certified podiatrist.....in addition i asked my family doctor before going and he said Dr Stern was well thought of .....So maybe its only 3 weeks but i would say my purchase was good one...i have no insurance so its good to know if you buy orthotics examination and follow up appointment is covered in cost ....if you dont buy their are fees to pay for exam

flag | Submitted August 29, 2013

I'm perplexed by Dr. Stern. He can schedule x-rays for you, and cast your feet for orthotics, but provides absolutely no back-up information for injuries and recovery. I broke a bone in my foot, had it x-rayed (3 times), wore an air cast for 3 months, and yet, he never informed me of what the repercussions would be of wearing such an air cast. Once out of the air cast, he never gave me any information or advice on what measures to take, or what levels of pain to expect, etc. It seems very unprofesional to not give your patients some information, which I suspect he has at his fingertips. It seems that once his job is done (i.e. scheduling xrays and ordering orthotics), his job is done. That's a job any technician can do. One would like some sharing of experience. He appears to be willing to assist in curing a foot injury (when in fact that is done by the body itself, not Dr. Stern), but not in assisting its full recovery. He leaves me fully miffed!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2012

Dr. Joseph R. Stern's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Joseph R Stern is a SportMedBC board member and has been an active part of the Vancouver podiatric medicine community for more than 20 years. He is the immediate past president of the Canadian Podiatric Medical Association and one of the assigned podiatrist of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. Originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, he grew up in Vancouver, and later went to the University of British Columbia where he completed a Bachelor of Science degree. After finishing at UBC, Joseph wanted to merge his interests in health care, biomechanics and sport –making podiatry an obvious first choice of professions. He went on to study at Pennsylvania College of Podiatric Medicine in Philadelphia. After finishing his four year doctorate program, Joseph did his residency at Mission Oaks Hospital in Los Gatos, California. Joseph has office in Vancouver, Coquitlam, Cloverdale and Surrey

• French
  • English

• University of British Columbia (Grad. 1982)
  • Temple University (Grad. 1986)

• Plantar fasciitis