Ratings for Dr. Richard L. Kelly

I went in to get tested for diabetes. When my results came back I wan't contacted. I had to call. When I did, I was told that the only issue found was slightly high cholesterol and was told to exercise, eat well, and see him again in 3 months. I specifically asked "So, I don't have diabetes or anything else?" I was told no. I asked for the results to be sent to me so I could see everything, and also just to keep it for my records. There was a fasting glucose level of 335 which is almost triple the level for having diabetes. I contacted the office, the rep just wanted to get me off the phone and said the doc would call me. I called an hour later and that rep told me the doc had gone home, but she put in an urgent message for him to call in the morning. Next day, no call. If I had taken their word on my results, I could have died, leaving my glucose level untreated. His level of neglect is unconscionable.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

Dr Kelly's staff is his biggest problem. They don't respond to prescription requests in a timely fashion, often taking up to five days and several requests from the pharmacy. Also, he gives cursory physical check-ups, not even looking at my feet. Also, he refers you to either other specialists in his building or in his group instead of the best doctors available. Doesn't he know by now who the best are? He has sent me to several awful specialists who have failed to diagnose conditions, leaving me to take gambles on doctors recommended by strangers. He is perfunctory and humorless. I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2014

Doctor was unable to diagnose a persistent cough as a side effect of one medicine, which I had taken for more than 10 years. After multiple visits (and lab, x-ray procedures, additional medications) for the same problem over nearly one year, I switched doctors. The new doctor immediately identified the problem and substituted a new medicine.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2009

Very helpful. Was well informed, and Dr Kelly took the time to investigate four different requests/issues I brought up at the appt.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2009

Dr Kelly is the most understanding and knowledgable doctors I have ever seen as a Type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetic, and thus have stuck with him for the last 10 years. I have seen numerous doctors through the years, but no one can compare to what he knows in his own personal experience. Dr Kelly convinced me to use an insulin pump once again since he himself understands the challenges of Diabetes firsthand and wears one too. After 30 years of listening to a non-Diabetic doctor tell me I can't have an active and normal life and enjoy a piece of cake once in a while, I left them all behind and chose Dr. Kelly. He understands that sticking to a Diabetic diet 24/7 and checking your glucose levels all day long can be exhausting, but gently encourages you to do it. He is just truly the best to ask for Type 1 Diabetes. I have referred my friend from work and she agrees!

flag | Submitted March 10, 2009

Dr. Richard L. Kelly's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical School At San Antonio (Grad. 1988)