Ratings for Dr. Helene Bertrand

My daughter was a pedestrian in a pedestrian car accident. For almost 5 years, she has suffered with SI joint pain. 7.5 and higher on the pain scale daily. That was her life. Our first meeting Dr Bertrand looked at her info and said 'you have been in pain for too long and we need to get rid of it' she showed my daughter and myself that I fact there was an inch and a half discrepancy between her two sides. And inch and a half. Proof this was not in her mind but real. Someone who listened, felt her pain and wanted to use prolotherapy to alleviate it or get rid of it completely. 4 sessions later, my daughters pain is down to 3-3.5 regularly. She isn't going to the physio every week to get adjusted (which affects would only last 4 days at the most). My daughters SI joint has held in place for over 2 months with these prolotherapy treatments. Yes she needs another 1 or 2 sessions. the investment in my daughters back, physical and mental health are worth a million times what I have paid not like the dad in a previous comment who couldn't see 'wasting his money'. Seriously? You think $70 is too much to get your daughter out of pain? Dr. Bertrand has been a life saver.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

A complete quack!... My daughter went to her first visit as she was looking for a new GP and this insane woman injected her with $70 worth of sugar water! Ridiculous! I really do not believe she is even a doctor!

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

I visited Dr. Bertrand a few times for my lower back pain. She couldn't help me with pain at all and at one time she hit my nerve and I was in a tremendous pain. The problem is she doesn't know exactly where to inject. This is why she injects many area hoping one will hit the right spot. They are other doctors that do Prolotherapy now in Lower Mainland with advanced technique.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016

I'm a very active 55 year old male who has many muscle and joint pain areas on my body. I exercise regularly to try to manage these areas from getting worse. Last summer I tore two muscles in my forearm and one in my lower bicep (confirmed by ultra-sound) and was told by my family MD that not much could be done and that it would be a long recovery period with that type of injury. I tried Physiotherapy for several months and had some improvement but my arm was still to weak to engage in activities when I was recommended to try Prolotherapy treatments. I began investigating what Prolotherapy was and started talking to others about this and was recommended to see Dr. Bertrand. My initial meeting and treatment with Dr. Bertrand left me feeling that there is in fact other approaches to accelerating healing of our bodies and that her knowledgeable explanations and caring administering of injections are superb. I have since had Dr. Bertrand work on my right elbow (tennis elbow type pain) with one session and it doesn't have that limiting pain anymore. I mentioned my right shoulder has been awful for 20 years and that sleeping on it was the worse so she sent me in for an Ultrasound and saw that I had a partial tear in one of the rotator cuff muscles. First I must mention that I had gone to my MD for this issue and he sent me to a Surgeon with both telling me to live with it as I'm old and should expect these pains. I get that (the old guy thing) but both these professionals never sent me in to get an MRI or Ultrasound to actually see what's causing the pain, which is another reason I truly like to see Dr. Bertrand as she factually finds the ailment THEN treats it. My shoulder had a 90% improvement with the first treatment which has lasted about 10 months now and I would say has decreased to about 50 - 60%. I do not see this as a negative as I have only had one treatment on my shoulder. A joint that has had that much abuse and has still improved makes me happy and I am seeing Dr. Bertrand again soon for a second shoulder treatment. In all my left forearm, my right elbow are both functional and 90 +% pain free, and my right shoulder functional and 50 - 60% pain free. I highly recommend Dr. Bertrand to you and I have highly recommended her to my close family and friends. Next up my darn calf.........

flag | Submitted November 23, 2015

After 3 years of excruciating back pain that stopped me from doing sports, hiking, sleeping comfortably, and doing simple tasks like unloading the dishwasher I was literally saved by Dr Bertrand's prolotherapy treatments. After only 3 treatments spaced a month apart I became completely pain free and able to return to my normal life and activities!!! I am so incredibly grateful for this treatment which repairs the body in a way nothing else can. I tried everything before finding dr bertrand. Months of by weekly physiotherapy, multiple round of IMS therapy, chiropractic treatments, massage, Bowen therapy, cortisone injections, etc. My doctors offered little help or understanding. When I saw Dr Bertrand she immediately diagnosed me with an SI (sacro iliac) joint problem which was causing my excruciating pain. I've now been pain free and better than I was even as a teen for 3 years. I've only had two top- up treatments and I feel like a new person. Dr bertrand is highly intelligent, knowledgeable and caring. The treatments are uncomfortable but not painful as she injects pain killer first into the ares of treatment.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2015

I have had two significant treatments from Dr Bertrand. The first was for tennis elbow and after one treatment my pain was gone and my ability to resume playing tennis returned. The second treatment was for right shoulder pain resulting from early onset of osteo arthritis. I was having trouble sleeping because of the pain. Dr Bertrand required I have an xray and an ultrasound prior to her treatment. The treatment required a significant number of injections into various shoulder joints. I felt little discomfort during the procedure, and that evening I was able to have a full night of sleep and have not had any further pain in my shoulder. Obviously I responded well to the treatment. I don't understand why this form of treatment is not covered by MSP when one considers how quickly prolotherapy treatment can aid an individual in becoming pain free and fully functional. I would heartily recommend this treatment and Dr Bertrand given her deep understanding of pain relief treatment and the specific benefits of prolotherapy.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2015

I started seeing Dr. Bertrand in November 2014 after a surgical scar in my lower back left me with chronic, debilitating nerve pain in that area. The pain prevented me from doing even the most basic of activities (sitting, standing, driving, walking) for more than a few minutes at a time. At first, I was receiving neural prolotherapy three times a week and noticed improvements right away. We gradually reduced the frequency of treatments over several months and by the end of February 2015, I was almost pain free. I had my last treatment mid March 2015 and am still almost entirely pain free. I have been able to resume activities I haven't been able to participate in since before my surgery in April 2014. I would highly recommend Dr. Bertrand for chronic pain or issues with nerve pain. She is highly knowledgeable and has a sincere interest in treating a variety of pain issues. She has given me the opportunity to start living my life again, pain free. Thank you Dr. Bertrand, I truly appreciate what you have done for me.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2015

I have been getting prolotherapy treatments for neck, back and shoulder injuries following an accident which involved a semi truck rear ending me. I have been in and out of various treatments over the past 3 years . Doctor Bertrands prolotherapy treatments have truly helped me gain some strength and provided pain relief. Each time I get treatments there is more progress that I otherwise would not be getting with other type of treatments. Doctor Bertrand believes in what she does and strives to see limited pain levels and healing progress.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2015

The person who wrote the long negative review of my practice is a 40-year-old, ex-hockey player, narcotic drug addict, who was actually getting better with the 3 prolotherapy and 1 nerve block, treatments I gave him and for which I charged him a total of $325. Every person I see gets a number of questionnaires, every time they come, to find out how well they are doing and how they are responding to their treatment. This person received the DASH (disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand questionnaire) each time he came, and after 2 treatments, his score had gone from 82/150 to 60/150, where 30 is no pain at all and no problems at all. Before his 3rd treatment, his brief pain inventory score, which measures how much pain interferes with people’s activities and relationships, went from 55/70 to 22/70 where 0 is no interference at all. At that time, his pain score at rest had gone from 5.4/10 to 3.4/10, at work it had gone down from 8/10 to 6.4/10, and playing hockey, it had gone from 10/10 to 9/10. In other words, every measure of pain and function had improved with the 4 treatments he received. The reason he wrote this very long negative review and lied about his lack of pain improvement and how much it cost is that I REFUSED TO GIVE HIM THE NARCOTICS HE WANTED. I am interested in removing pain, not in covering it up with pain killers, particularly not with addictive medications. Narcotic addicts who are not interested in fixing problems which cause pain and getting rid of pain so they can get rid of their habit should stay away from my practice. Helene Bertrand, M.D., CCFP

flag | Submitted January 19, 2015

At age 77 I had been suffering from severe arthritis in my wrist. The pain was a 24 hours nuisance since I am a very active person and felt very depressed after loosing sleep almost every night. A few years ago Dr. Bertrand helped me with arthritis pain in my other wrist, with tennis elbow and also with pain in my hamstring. Since I did not want any surgery, I went to see Dr. Bertrand in early December 2014. Within several days the pain was reduced to an almost bearable amount. By the time I went back for a second treatment the pain was almost gone completely. Now I can go back to all my activities and have no pain. Thank you Dr. Bertrand.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2015