Ratings for Dr. David Wong

This particular Dr, gets a bad rap in town and with good reason This is someone who should change his name to Dr. Nick Riviera. That is how good of a Dr. he is. When I moved home to the NWT and to Yellowknife from Ontario He refused to followup with a treatment my Family practitioner from Ont had recommended including referrals. I severely injured my back and neck a number of years ago (nearly paralyzed) and Dr. Nick was recommended to me from a friend. When I first met him I explained to him what had happened to my back and neck and that my former Family Dr. was treating me with pain medication and had put in a referral for an MRI and to see a spinal cord injury specialist. He said he could not do anything until a copy of my medical file was sent to him. When he did get it he claimed that he read my file and that there is no record of my Family Dr. in ON prescribing pain medication, nor was there a ER report of the accident to my back and neck or referrals. This first appointment was less than 10 minutes at the most to go over medical history. I called him on this and said that the first thing he would have seen was a light green sheet with notes of prescription history and latest prescription written in that case T4s. The next thing would be follow up reports for the original emergency room visit followed by a copy of the X-Rays and ER report. Including pointing out my Family Dr's name on the empty prescription bottle. (Physical evidence of prescription history) When I pointed out all of these things his reply wasn't "your right I did not read your medical file" It was to get racist and say "I am the Dr. and I am a professional and I do not prescribe those medication because Native people are alcoholics a drug addicts." In Yellowknife he is known on the street as the Drug Dr. I timed the length of this second appointment to go over my medical history on my watch and I was in and out in under 5 minutes. I switched doctors and the first appointment was 40 minutes to go over medical history, get a physical and the new Dr. listened to me also took the time to review medical notes on my file, followed up with my old family Dr. recommendations and got a referral to see a specialist and within a few months got sent for surgery for one of two issues and a referral to see a spinal cord injury specialist and sure enough was diagnosed with spinal cord injury. These are all things that Dr Wong did not do and does not do. You could walk in with a compound fracture in your arm bone sticking out bleeding and he will as "What makes you think you have a compound fracture?" and not examine or look at it, then write you a prescription tell you it is all in your mind and see him in a week if things don't get better. The reception staff are very judgmental and disrespectful when I was there and if you appear to be homeless or look homeless they tend to ignore you and hope you will go away. P.S. One final note. I used to work security at the hospital in Yellowknife and some of the nurses I got to know and work with referred to Dr. Wong as Dr. Often Wrong Wong

flag | Submitted May 10, 2018

I have had Dr Wong as my family doctor for 4 years now since I moved to Yellowknife. My ordeal in 2016/2017 with him was horrible, my condition actually worsen due to having him as my family doctor. He had not been supportive in my health issues and took the wait and see approach. At times, he has mentioned whether I was actually experiencing the symptoms or imagining them. On several occasions as a representative of the Northwest Territories health system he has not provided the level of care that the government had promised it would. When I saw him at his own clinic when my symptoms was quite bad in February 2017 where I had difficulty walking, pain and weakness in both arms and constant migraines, I was told to wait for the specialist as its not his area of expertise and there is nothing he could do for me. I know now that generally most doctors defer to this line when they are not competent enough to understand the health concern. After the specialist had provided his letter to Dr Wong, my family doctor stated that stress caused my herniated disc in my neck and all my symptoms such as weakness in my arms and tingling. I would need to see a physiotherapist to help decrease my stress levels and improve my cervical herniated disc. He did not know the difference between a physiotherapist and psychologist, which was quite shocking. I was told to go back to work as he would not sign my Employment Insurance claim for more than 1 month fearing he would get audited. Given my field is accounting I would have immense difficulty in typing and moving the mouse and hence had to take a leave of absence from work without the support of my family doctor for over 3 months. While discussing the letter from the specialist with Dr Wong, he mentioned that he cant explain my symptoms but perhaps in 20 years science should be able to figure out my health problems. I dont know how the medical health board can support him although there has been numerous complaints against him.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2018

Great Doctor, always available. I've been a patient nine years, and lived to say it is so!!!

flag | Submitted March 3, 2018

Dr. Wong has been my Dr for many years. He has been spot on in every diagnosis and has made sure if a specialist is needed to get a referral off immediately. I have many medical issues . I trust Dr. Wong and will continue have him as my family Dr.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

Very knowledgable and overall great doctor, my family has been seeing him for over 10+ years.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2017

I had visited Dr Wong recently and was misdiagnosed by him. I had severe headaches, but Dr Wong said i was okay to go to work even though i had 2 weeks of migraines. When i was in his office, the doctor had actually stated that the technology to diagnose me did not exist but perhaps in 10 to 30 years we should be able to better diagnose you. I had to go to another doctor in BC to get a proper diagnosis and treatment that included a MRI which Dr Wong had refused to order. The BC doctor was able to prescribe a treatment and medication to help with the migraines. If you have a choice, please do not use Dr Wong as your family doctor.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

I have always received great care from Dr. Wong. He really cares for his patients.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2016

It looks like some of these responses were put in by the doctor, or his office. Half are super bad, half super good. He's known as the prescription doctor.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2016

I went to see Dr. Wong after extreme pain in my leg which was getting worse daily. I actually cried in his office from the pain but he had absolutely no compassion. I asked for a note to excuse myself from work but he coldly told me there was nothing wrong with me and to return to work the next day. That night I admitted myself into the emergency ward and was diagnosed with sepsis. That night I went into septic shock and would have died if I hadn't gone in to emergency. I spent 40 days in the hospital and went through multiple surgeries. If I had listened to Dr. Wong that day I would have died. I would warn everyone to NEVER trust or even visit Dr. Wong. He is incompetent, has no compassion and should not be practising medicine.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

Did not listen to me. Said i was fine im not.why is he still in practice.others might like him but he sure does not listen and i could not understand him at all.not very happy with him.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016