Ratings for Dr. E A Plewes

I had surgery for the first time in my life on May 10th 2017 with Dr. Plewes and he is amazing. I actually sought him out based off of the reviews on this website for the type of surgery that I needed which was an umbilical hernia repair, that was getting worse with each pregnancy. I've had four kids close together and I wanted to make sure I would be able to have more kids if I wanted, without the hernia reopening after a repair. He gave me great advice and told me when the best time to do the procedure would be. His staff was accommodating with my busy schedule and I had the surgery 2 months after giving birth with my fourth. Every member of his team, including him spoke to me right before the surgery to make sure I had no questions or concerns and they gave me great advice concerning breastfeeding and my options for pain medication. The scar healed invisibly, you can't even see it because he tucked into my belly button so you can't even tell I had surgery. It took about 8 weeks to completely heal and I feel great, and had no complications. I'm so happy I went with him by far the best decision for me. His secretary was also awesome in getting me information, scheduling my surgery and follow up. I would definitely highly recommend this surgeon, definitely one of the best in Edmonton.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017

Dr.plewes amazing surgeon. He took care of my ulcer colitis. I had other doctors tell me I would have an ilestomy bag forever and won't ever get pregnant. Dr. Plewes removed my disease and I no longer wear an ilestomy bag and I'm pregnant!!! By far the best surgeon! Very caring, takes his time and knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

Dr Plewes is knowledgeable and down to earth. Very helpful and kind. Doesn't rush you.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

He did my colonoscopy. He was courteous and explained everything well.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2017

Good doctor but his receptionist is terrible. She thinks that she is the doctor by the way she judges your visit. She is beyond rude. I wonder if Dr. PLewes realizes this. I have talked To others and they feel the same way. The same way about her.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2016

I went to Dr Plewes for a 2nd opinion after the first doctor brushed me off and told me he couldn't do anything to help me. Unlike the first doctor I saw, Dr Plewes did not give up on me so quickly. It took awhile and a couple of different tests, but he was finally able to help me sort out my health issues. This is what a good doctor does - goes the distance to help his patients rather than brushing them off after a five minute exam. I must also compliment him on his punctuality. He's always on time for my appointments. I've never been to a doctor that was so punctual. His secretary may come across as a bit gruff to some people but I've always found her to be friendly and professional.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2016

This doctor left me with great distaste for the medical profession. Not only did he discharge me before the bowel showed ANY sign it was working but he actually berated me for that fact stating that if he'd known there were going to be the problems with the surgery he wouldn't have done it because it was elective. Furthermore the "problems" turned out to be discitis caused by nicking the spine and causing a serious spinal infection causing me to become septic and in life threatening circumstances. That surgery was in 2014 and interestingly enough this review board was closed shortly after. To this day I suffer pain and mobility problems. There are pitifully little options for one to take when harmed by the callous negligent actions of a physician so unless you are well enough off to be able to afford seeking compensation for damage that may cause problems in future I'd avoid this surgeon (?) like the plague.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

Dr. Plewes was the supervising surgeon over seeing my unscheduled emergency colostomy to remove a mechanical blockage in March of 2012. I was assured by Dr. Plewes that my quality of life would quickly recover to normal and that I was an ideal candidate for a future complete colostomy reversal. I had a hectic work schedule and returned to work immediately upon my release from the hospital. After a year of healing I was still experiencing great bowle discomfort that could no longer be thought to be attributed to the healing process so I began to grow concerned. Upon successfully contacting Dr. Plewes office receptionist I was informed that Dr. Plewes would not see me without a referral from General Practitioner – family Doctor. I had no family Physician since I had not had a history of much illness; it took 12 months and three Doctor case refusals before I discovered a Physician who was willing to take me on as a patient. Year three after the colostomy I was finally seen by Dr. Plewes who immediately dismissed most of my severe bowel discomfort concerns as impossible and non-existent. However; when requesting information about reconnection surgery Dr. Plewes stated that the option was no longer viable because of my complaints of possible bowle complications. Now in year four I am seeking input from other Gastrologists in an attempt to get a diagnosis for the cause of the severe discomfort.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016

Dr. Plewes removed my gallbladder. He described the procedure and the risks and all options. The surgery went well and I recovered very well. When he had to cancel the follow up appointment he personally called me instead to discuss the lab report and any questions I had. I appreciated the call and found him to be very personable. Excellent surgeon!

flag | Submitted March 3, 2016

Dr Plewes took the time to explain everything and really talk about options. Friendly and professional. Was not rushed even though there were patients waiting. Did not recommend surgery for me at this time. Was totally impressed and I have been to many doctors over the years. I highly recommend him. Very personable and talks through everything. His receptionist is a bit chilly!!! She could learn how to smile and be friendly.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016