Ratings for Dr. Russell Bartels

Takes time to listen and answer questions. Educates on hormone replacement issues. Is kind, punctual and easy to talk to.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2017

The billing department is an absolute nightmare. Part of the Lab work ordered by this doctor at his office was deemed "experimental" , so insurance would not cover it. After billing the insurance for over $500 in lab work and refusing to cooperate even after the insurance called the office asking for medical records/reason for the lab work, my daughter went to another doctor and was told her fatigue was due to a vitamin d deficiency. They do not care about their patients!!

flag | Submitted January 6, 2017

I wish I would have researched and read his reviews before I went to him. It was by far the WORST experience of my life! I got a total of 3 BHRT pellets from them and LOST almost ALL my hair! The 1 and only question I asked prior to getting the pellet was DOES IT CAUSE HAIR LOSS? Which I was told NO. Well YES it DOES! And I have proof in my file which he now claims it does to try and cover himself. I was on an emotional roller coaster! When I reported it to the nurse Mazzacano she ignored my concerns said I was given too much and that I should just do 50mg to balance it out. After losing more than 50% of my hair I talked to endocrinologist, dermatologist, naturopaths, laser hair centers and they all said the same thing it's converting to DHT and causing hair loss. They told me its the WORST thing a women can ever put in they're body. Especially a 32 YEAR OLD!! He had NO bedside manner what so ever and cared less that I lost my hair I was just a dollar sign to him, Mazzacano did NOT listen to my concerns, and never even tested my T levels!!! Nor did she follow up with me. They just sent me on my HAIR LESS way.and moved on to the next. WATCH OUT LADIES!DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! I would NOT WISH this on my WORST enemy. It's truly devastating, and a shame they can get away with this. It just WRONG!

flag | Submitted November 3, 2016

Dr. Barrels focus is on hormones and not women's health. Very misleading because you are seen by varying P.A's,which is not so bad but when you truly have a gynecology issue you are referred out. If your looking for a true gynecologist who cares about women's health pass on Dr. Barrels. I was with his practice for 10 years and now I've chosen a different Doctor. Dr. Barrels is more like a med spa.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

He's a drug pusher, especially the testosterone. I don't like to take a lot of meds unless completely necessary, but Dr. Bartells told me to think of them as vitamins. I did try something he prescribed for my thryoid, which did seem to be effective. However, after a couple of weeks I stopped taking the birth control, and I did call the office to inform them that I was doing that. I finished my three weeks and was in the placebo week, still taking the thyroid meds, when my throat and mouth swelled up, and I broke out in a very itchy, hivey rash all over my body. I looked like I had had all of my wisdom teeth out. All the websites about this thryroid medication say "call your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms." I was in a place over the weekend, however, where I had no cell phone reception. The websites also say, don't stop the thyrroid meds suddenly since your body has gotten used to them. So, that Sunday, I halved my pill, took some Benedryl, and by Monday my symptoms were better. Nevertheless, I called the office and told them about what I thought was a very serious reaction, asking should I continue to take the pills at all, or half, or anything else. By the afternoon, no one had returned my calls. I called again, expressing my concerns. Now it has been five days. I still don't know what to do. I am taking a smaller dose. According to my research, estrogen suppresses thyroid function, and that week I was taking the placebos, it was like I suddenly took too much thyroid medication. I'm not an expert, but that's what I think. But I'm flying blind. Today I am requesting that the office sends all my records to a new ob-gyn. I just don't think they care at all.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2014

The worst has to be the woman that mainly answers the phones, Shelly. She is a rude, condescending, know it all. I've put in calls to the dr's nurse to ask questions or to discuss issues and Shelly feels it's her right to know what information I need to discuss before she transfers me to voice mail. She needs to get rid of her sassy tone. Until then, I'll just continue to give it right back to her.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2014

Consistently encountered no return phone calls. When a fibroid tumor was discovered, he immediately recommended a full hysterectomy. With subsequent research & getting 2nd opinions, fibroid tumors are common and do not necessarily require surgery - depending on your situation. Dr. Oz even had a special on this topic. Also, while I was in the presence of both the doctor and the medical assistant; when the doctor gave the medical assistant instructions, the medical assistant who disagreed with his instructions became angry to the point of becoming red in the face and "stormed" away. When I tried to follow up with the doctor's instructions, I found that the tail wagged the dog. The medical assistant did not do as instructed by the doctor and the doctor, again, did not return my call. When there was an error in insurance coding, I called the office and was stonewalled at the front desk & back office. It took me driving back to the office to ask for assistance. I ended my services with this doctor and found a new one.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2014

Do yourself a favor and find another doctor. He failed to do a thorough round of tests that had he done, would have spared me a year of trouble

flag | Submitted February 10, 2012

He was my obstetrician and he was so kind and gentle with me for my first pregnancy. He went out of his way for me and did everything he could to help me! Their facility is nice and the staff was helpful.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2011

The back office nurses feel that they have the right to say anything they want to the patients. The first visit I was asked by the medical assistant what the marks were on my arms, I don't know why she asked that? I had to explain to her exactly what they were and I feel that her being a medical assistant this is none of her business. Her job is to take my vitals and write down my chief complaint. The second time the nurse weighed me and told me I was gaining a lot of weight, I take thyroid medicine which slows my metabolism down so it is easier to gain, she did not know this thoe and told me that I was gaining to much weight. I feel that it should be the doctors place to say these things and not some wanna be nurse! I would not recommend this office to anyone!

flag | Submitted September 24, 2010

Dr. Russell Bartels's Credentials

• St George'S Univ, Sch Of Med, St George'S, Grenada (Grad. 1998)