Ratings for Dr. Michael John Stephenson

I am looking for a new doctor and saw this Dr. Shirpak listed on the Hamilton Academy of Medicine list as one wanting new patients. I noticed the number is the same as Dr. Stephenson's number so I am assuming from these comments that Dr. Stephenson has retired and this Dr. Shirpak has taken over. I find that calling after hours is a good way to get a sense of the practice as one can hear what their after hours care is like etc. before bothering to go see the doctor. I got a message saying the answering machine was full and that was the end of it. It will be a nice change when the Patients First legislation is passed and all these doctors will have to toe the line and serve the patients for whom they are getting paid. Needless to say, I won't be signing up with this doctor.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

I have been a patient for over thirty years coming with Dr from Highland Medical when he bought the Ancaster practice. Dr. Mike, was extremely knowledgeable and extremely inordinately helpful, attentive, & mindful of my special needs, multiple disabilities, and gave prolonged appointment time to more than adequately cover my long lists of needs most every appt. which he tried to schedule every two months, and when required every few weeks; I often tried to leave longer periods between appts. after years of medical treatments worn thin on my non-health related quality of life. I had nothing but concern, efficient professionalism, and courteous attention, reliable follow-through from the nurse (D) referred to in previous comments; although must admit she had little patience for petulance, pettiness, nor demonstrative personalities especially if regarding trivial appearing self-centric interruptions. I saw her deftly, succinctly, sometimes extremely decisively curtail attempts to divert her attending to my very real needs. She often was more reachable than the Dr. I became bedridden in the last few years and was not in the office to observe perceived decline nor improvement upon her retirement; indeed I was not aware she had left the practice. The reception & phone system were always horrendous and one had to be particularly adept at circumnavigating these to get appts., having message reliably relayed to the Dr.'s attention. This only worsened over the years declining to an appalling rate bordering on criminal interference. I also experienced appalling lapses in receptionist/secretary handling of dr. - patient confidentiality regarding contact & relaying information meant for me alone to other members of my family irrevocably altering perceptions and relationships. Also poor judgement calls and a lack of common sense on occasion by this support staff. Near the end, I had to often resort to garnering staff wrath by using the travel clinic number to get through or get a callback from the Dr. who eventually gave me, first his old university email, then the travel clinic email with which to contact him through Jennifer who monitored it. Dr Mike made no qualms about home visits on Wednesdays when I became bedridden. Sadly these became sporadic and eventually somewhat bizarre the last couple of years in which the Dr. failed to follow through, having taken home visit notes on scraps of paper, once on an old white fast food bag apparently grabbed from his car. He promised to return in two weeks to continue with courses of action that never materialized, and is not see him again for months. He'd show up out of nowhere, apologize for having let me fall through the cracks those few years, promise to get back on track, set serious things in motion and disappear again for months un reachable through the receptionist & phone system. I deteriorated dramatically over those intervening months/years, became despondent, merely existing, eventually I suspected depressed and asked for in-home consultation which is current now, but misunderstood Dr direction, and sudden retirement in mid-consult left confusion, unnecessary medication trial changes and tremendous anxiety on my life. I received NO notice, communication, nor wa given any indication the Dr. was retiring until I accidentally heard a recorded message on the Dr. 's Office phone inviting patients to an office open house farewell to the Dr. two weeks hence!! I emailed frantically, and received a farewell home visit in what turned out to be the Dr.'s last week. He assured me he had made arrangements for my continuity of care; and I elicited a promise that he would personally go-over my file with the doctor who had bought his practice, Dr. Shirpak, who had agreed to take on me, indeed all the patients in his practice who didn't decide to go elsewhere. HE DIDNT FOLLOW THROUGH. DR. SHIRPAK TWO MONTHS LATER SUDDENLY WITHOUT NOTICE STOPPED RENEWING MY PRESCRIPTIONS, and informed MY 75yrold just home out of life threatening intensive care (ICU) BROTHER THAT HE WAS NO LONGER MY DOCTOR. Not me; he never informed me. Let me say, I think perhaps Dr. Mike's mind was failing him the last few years which is why his retirement was so necessary. He always had my best interests over 30 years but was likely incapable of follow through. I think he was hampered in my case SEVERELY by his staff, once I became housebound, bedridden incapable of going in person to demand access and follow-up. I think in several import ways, I have recourse through lawsuit and damages but am in no position to prepare and follow through. My life is irreversibly severely worsened and I suffered needlessly, seriously compromised, severely quality of life reduced through incompetence, neglect, failure to follow through on treatment, and inattention over the course of these last few years. (CONT'd … somewhere here with opening ~~> "My family …

Submitted November 3, 2015

Though a busy practice, Dr Stephenson was pleasant & very helpful to my needs. Noticed a huge difference since his nurse(D) is no longer there. For the better. The staff was very kind and efficient & I didnt have to wait long for my appointment. I agree with many other patients, we have seen such a HUGE improvement in the past year.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2015

I was accepted as a new patient even though Dr. quite overloaded. The Dr. is good but hard to get in touch with. I always get the message machine over and over. Have to walk in to make an appointment. I called and left a message re. blood in urine and symptoms related to same - no-one called me back. I wound up in emergency passing a kidney stone a few days later. Not that stone could have been prevented but so upset that no one even returned my call. It takes a year to get an appt. for physical - I have been trying for 2 weeks to get through for that - so now were up to a year and 2 weeks. Sooooo frustrating!

flag | Submitted November 28, 2011

Very Very difficult to get an appointment a 1 year wait to get a physical, multiple long vacations, research leaves etc leave patients at the bottom of his list

flag | Submitted September 13, 2011

Great Doctor - Poor staffing and long wait times equate to poor overall service. Don't need him often, and that's probably for the better.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2011

Went to see Dr. Stephenson on a Saturday as a Dr. on call. He wanted to prescribe a medication that I couldn't take as it would conflict with other meds that I am on. You could tell he didn't want to be there and his knowledge of medications that conflict with others was extremely poor. Next time, I will suffer through a weekend knowing Dr. Stephenson is on call and see my regular competent Dr. on Monday.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2010

Very difficult to get an appointment. We feel very uncomfortable to see the secretary’s dirty face every time. So unless we are really sick, we seldom call their office. When we are really sick, we have to wait until their office closes and call the on call doctor. Luckily, all the on call doctors are great and helpful. Dr. Stephenson should feel shamed that his patients can not get to see him, but the on call doctor.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2009

Dr. Stephenson is very polite but the secretary and the nurse are really rude towards the patients. Very hard to get an appointment. His system is to let the secretary decide whether the patient needs to be seen or not. And the secretary always refuses to give an appointment. Bad system.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2009

If you can get in to see him he is great but you will wait weeks if you can get in at all. He has a poor system where a secretary decides if you should see him... hope you are not really sick because she may decide your call is not serious enough. Bad system.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2009