Ratings for Dr. Douglas C. Mathews

I had surgery by Matthews in 2007, I was only 27, & in a lot of neck pain from a car accident 2 yrs earlier. He acted nice before surgery, but once he had me stitched up, he turns into a jerk. First, I didn't know until a year after my spinal fusion when I still had pain & trying to figure out why, that I had 2 levels (c5/6 & c4/5) reproducing same pain during discogram. I didn't understand what he meant at pre-surgery apt when he said I'll fuse your c5/6 but evaluate C4/5. He didn't fuse 4/5 bc it was ruptured, but of course It's only become more painful. Why even do the discogram if you're not going to pay attention to to the results. After surgery of course I was in a lot of pain bc he went through the front of my neck. As soon as I woke up basically screaming in pain, the nurse handed me a Lortab 10 mg to swallow! How was that going to control my pain & how was I suppose to swallow a pill! I had to beg for actual pain meds & wait an hour for the anesthesiologist to give me an IV. It was horrible. After surgery, Doc walked into the waiting area to talk to my family & was rude, short & didn't answer all their questions. He never came by to check on me, so all the info I got about my surgery was second hand. That night, the pain got very bad after the IV meds wore off, I couldn't lift my head at all & had no relief. He gave us no directions on what meds to take & how that I was on prior to surgery, & he never wrote (or discussed with me pre-op) additional/stronger pain meds bc I had been on Lortab for a few months & it wasn't controlling this pain. I called his office 2 days after surgery & told them I would be out of pain meds on Tues of next week. pain meds PCP prescribed prior to surgery. Matthews called back & proceeded to grill me about where my meds went, why I needed more, "who was that guy in the waiting room I talked to after your surgery & if I find out he took any of your meds, your cut off!". He said a lot of other horrible things but scheduled me to come in that Monday. My husband confronted him very calmly but sternly about his bedside manner & Matthews said that he basically does that to everyone & doesn't really know who's on the phone. And it's his way of checking to see who is really hurting & who's faking. Wow! Prior to surgery Matthews told me I would be back at work in a week, so I didn't take any time off or apply for disability. This caused such a mess bc I hadn't planned a back up & I was scrambling to get my disability turned in so I could get paid. Matthews never prescribed PT, which is standard to prevent scar tissue & to prevent atrophy. This surgery was such a horrible experience that I almost had to go on long term disability & almost lost my job. I wasn't surprised at all when I found out Matthews was not working at Neuro. Associates anymore, or that he's at a pain clinic. Stay away from this Jeckel & Hyde!

flag | Submitted September 28, 2017

After seeing Dr. Mericle and his NP, I thought I was in good hands. Had hope after suffering from back problems since age 12, and severe bilateral carpal tunnel. They were extremely attentive, and spent time pinpointing my issues and planned for surgery. After seeing Dr Mathews, I am absolutely appalled. He was inappropriate asking questions about my body and personal life, but did not address or even listen to what I was saying in regards to my back and hand issues. Even questioned my diagnoses made BY HIS OWN GROUP!! First thing he looked at was a scar on my chest. He asked me "are you a cutter?" Firstly, I didn't know how this pertained to my back, second no it was actually from a traumatic experience I'd rather not discuss! He went on to dismiss my complicated case, saying nothing could be done except more PT, more injections, more pain management. He took every bit of hope I had to finally get relief. I explained I am a single mother of three. He asked "different dads?" I am absolutely hurt and discouraged. I thought I had found a place that would help me get to the bottom of this ongoing debilitating condition. Back to square one I guess. Hope he doesn't mess up my application for disability!! Simply because he felt he had better things to do!! Complained to the office, also read to me notes regarding many things he didn't discuss!! Was told my carpal tunnel was SEVERE by his colleague in the SAME PRACTICE after testing of my nerves, he refused to even address it questioning who diagnosed me!! Despicable!

flag | Submitted July 14, 2016

I took my MRI'S with me as I was consulting with him as a 2nd opinion. He sent me to a neurologist for a EMG.But, I didn't know that at the time? He gave no explanation. When I returned to him afterwards. I ask about my 3 herniated discs? He said that my carpal tunnel on my right side wasn't bad enough for surgery yet? What?? After going to another Dr, I found out that my herniated disc in my lumbar is herniated on both sides & I have severe disc disease & 3 bad discs, after a discogram. It was a complete waste of time going to him! Later I went back to get a copy of my records from him. I was in shock!!! He had all this written stuff about my cervical that he supposedly went over with me very thoroughly! He never mentioned any of it to me!!!

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

Dr. Mathews is the best! I was in daily pain before my surgery. He took the time to explain my procedure and discuss options with me. I am able to return to work and my quality of life has never been better. Thank you!!!

flag | Submitted August 13, 2013

Dr. Douglas C. Mathews's Credentials

• Vanderbilt University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1991)

Oxford