Ratings for Dr. Kit S. Mays

He is a horrible person. Extremely rude and arrogant, and would not listen to me. All he wants to do is shoot me with steroids that were painful and never had helped. What the heck he gets $3000 a shot ripping the insurance company out of money. He was so rude that I left in tears. Do not go to this doctor. Not to mention a 3 hour wait for most appointments.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2016

Dr. Mays is a fantastic doctor who came highly recommended by my orthopedic surgon and neuroligist. After my MRI he spent a considerable amount of time explaining the results of my MRI in plain language I could understand. Very personable and not condisending like many physician "gods". I highly recommend him! BUT: then there's his staff... Very rude and insensitive. Suffering from a bulging disc and bone spurs in my neck causing headaches, neck, shoulder, arm pain and numbness in my hand. It took them six days after my MRI to even send a pre authorization request to my insurance co. for a nerve block prescribed by Dr. Mays. I found myself in the midst of a very severe migraine that the pain meds he prescribed didn't even begin to relieve. As I sat in a dark room nauseated from the pain and no sleep for two days I called the office and left a message with his nurse to see if I could get something a little stronger just to hold me over and get relief till I saw him the next week for a spinal block. Five hours later I had received no response. I called a second time and left another message, waited one hour and still no response. I then called back and spoke to the receptionist and spoke to her and explained my situation and condition at which point she began to leacher me about leaving multiple messages on the answering service and how busy they were and a response would be made within 24 to 48 hrs. I told her how much pain I was in and her response was... I quote... "I get it... We are a pain clinic... Duh". I understand they deal with pill poppers everyday, but I'm not one to take meds nor abuse them. But her rudeness and insensitivity was uncalled for. Needless to say I was highly perterbe and therefore the reason to post this. Again... I will say Dr. Mays is a great doctor... Just be prepared to wade through the rudeness and unconcerend attitude of his inconsiderate staff.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2014

He does not listen to you he will threaten you get out of the chair and head for the until you say iam sorry he perscribes medacine he gets kickbacks for even if its just close to what you need not that it will stop pain long as he gets paid I would like to see his candyass put up with the pain i have nerve block what a joke they are like used car salesmen a lying joke witch doctor would be better thank god for his staff a btight star in a black hole no more Doc hahahahaha

flag | Submitted July 31, 2014

I saw Dr. Mays and in fact have a copy of my records of my visits. I received two nerve blocks which did not help me. My records, in fact, state in his own words. that he felt my problem was mainly depression???, but he did, indeed, administer the painful nerve blocks for my chief complaint of fibromyalgia all over pain and lower lumbar pain. I would not recommend this doctor. I have been an RN since 1986. I found Dr. Mays to be very arrogant in regard to my complaints as far as really listening to me as I described my daily symptoms. My pain went unrelieved. After my visits, some time after, a friend told me she had a similar experience, but did not return for her treatment after the initial visit. She was smarter than I.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2013

Waited over an hour, he was in the exam room 2 minutes and said I would have to go for a sleep study test before any treatment could start. I went to him on advice of my Rheumy (went to him every 3 months for 5 years) mats treated me like a drug seeker and was a real jerk. I'll never go back there.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2011

Does not listen to what patients have to say, and does not like for a parent to question him!

flag | Submitted March 7, 2011

Dr Mays has always been very kind and understanding in my situation. The staff if extremely nice and pleasant. He has helped me understand what is causing my pain. I have and would continue to recommend him to others.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2010

Dr. Mays insisted that I had Fibromyalgia. I had already been to the Mayo clinic and to the best rheumatologist in Memphis prior to seeing him and did not have Fibromyalgia. He told me I needed to see a psychiatrist and be put on an antidepressant, and I needed to exercise and take a nerve pill. He dug his fingers into my body at the fibromyalgia pain points, and when I told him it didn't hurt, he dug even harder until I told him it wasn't comfortable. Then, three times he insisted that I had Fibromyalgia, and three times I told him I did not. He then stormed out. I would never recommend him to anyone. It was later determined that I have Lyme disease.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2010

This doctor has no tact, finesse, or compassion! He is arrogant and does not 'hear' his patients. He assumes that he knows what is best for the patient from coping with the pain to managing the patient's work ethics and personal life. And on top of this he proclaims to be a Christian! He virtually 'fired me as a patient'--which turned out to be a blessing as my present pain management doctor is everything that he isn't!

flag | Submitted May 9, 2010

I saw dr. mays upon a referral from my neurologist who incorrectly diagnosed me with fibromyalgia.After waiting appromimately 45 min.in an examining room he finally saw me.He did not examine me,only abruptly told me I needed to enter a rehab for drug abuse.I am 63 years of age, was taking prescribed loratab from my primary dr.And i suppose he made his determination based on an mri that was a year old and what the neurologist reports said.I felt he no care for the pain I was in.My primary care dr. sent me to a neurosurgeon and I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my neck and cervical spine.Im getting nerve blocks that have helped tremendouly.I no longer take narcotics for the pain as these treatments work.I did not have a drug problem but a pain problem .

flag | Submitted March 31, 2010

Dr. Kit S. Mays's Credentials

• University Of Tennessee College Of Medicine (Grad. 1972)