Ratings for Dr. Hillel Sommer

I found Dr. Sommer very knowledgeable, correctly diagnosing that I needed a hip replacement, something which I was pretty sure was going to be needed. He did try an injection, but warned it was probably not going to offer much long-term relief. I appreciated that his staff worked to get me in on a cancellation and that he spent exactly the time needed. I also appreciate being told directly about the likely course of action.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

I recently met with Dr.Sommer about herniated discs and severe low back/leg pain. He proceeded to pretty much tell me I was making everything up, and that lifting weights and running miles a day would fix the problem. I can barely walk most days without pain, and have been specifically told by other medical professionals DO NOT lift. As others have said, he walked in with an agenda of what he was going to say, and did not even begin to listen to what I had to say. He told me how I was feeling, a huge pet piece of mine. He is not in my body. Would not recommend this "doctor" to my worst enemy. I left feeling belittled and upset.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2017

I had my first and last appointment with this doctor today. He was not at all helpful. He did not listen to me. He had an agenda and a speech all prepared and he was not deviating from that. What a waste of my time. He was rude, arrogant, argumentative. He asked me about a procedure I had and when I told him what it was, he argued with me. I told him I did not have a copy of the report but this is what I was told was done. He basically called me a liar, old, fat and stupid. He showed a total lack of respect toward me. He went on a rant about weight. When I told him I had lost a significant amount of weight due to the "nutrition" he was ranting about he then said "you don't exercise enough." He had nothing positive to say to me, was totally disrespectful. I will not be returning to him although his staff was eager to book another appointment. What for? I had my fill of being abused, so why would I come back for more? I would NEVER recommend this doctor to anyone. I thought he must have a hate-on for older patients but I read a comment by a 30-year-old and he was the same with that patient as with me. There is something seriously wrong with him. AVOID THIS DOCTOR AT ALL COSTS.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

I came upon this comment page by accident when I plugged in "sport therapy specialist on Corydon" because I had forgotten his name and thought I might recommend him to my daughter who's been experiencing chronic pain through nerve pressure for over 2 years. I was referred to Dr. Sommer by my GP, probably about 8/9 years ago now. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and compressed discs after an MRI. I didn't care for his manner but that's not what I was there for. He's direct and wants the patient to be succinct. He's not interested in round about the houses stories. I came to this conclusion very quickly and so we got along not too badly. He conducted a spinal injection under X-Ray at Misericordia. It was an absolute success and I remained pain free for about 3 years and then he did a 2nd one. That was about 5 years ago now and I'm still pain free. I don't doubt his knowledge or ability but he really needs to work on his customer service. I did find the staff to be aloof and rather snooty too but I didn't have to engage with them beyond "I'm here for my appointment" so I didn't. I think most of the critical comments made are absolutely true. He is without doubt an unsympathetic physician and I can see how patients would not take to him. I believe the positive comments are mostly made by people who may have personal relationships with Dr. Sommer, i.e. possibly staff? Critical comments tend to be very subjective, emotional, and a little disjointed. Positive comments tend to be sequential, clear, and eloquent so I'm suspicious of them. Dr. Sommer is NOT friendly and no stretch of the imagination could make him so. Although my own experience ended in a good result for me, I've decided against suggesting him to my daughter. She has enough pain in her legs and feet, she doesn't need a pain in the you know what too!

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

My husband had an appointment with Dr. Sommer today. We found him to be very pleasant and he took the time to hear where he had pain. He had a professional manner and asked a lot of questions about his problem. He took the time to check him out thoroughly. We would highly recommend Dr Sommer.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

I found Dr Sommer very professional, intelligent, willing to listen and patient. I recommend him. Do not trust all the reviews. Just go and see if it is helpful for you.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

Every comment on this forum is accurate. I was referred to this doctor by my family physician. Captain Obvious proceeded to tell me to lose weight to alleviate my degenerative disc problems. I asked him for some targeted exercises that I could do to strengthen my core, etc. as my understanding from my doctor was that he was similar to a doctor of physiotherapy. He got angry, and interrupted me loudly, stating, "No! I am NOT a doctor of physiotherapy, I am a SPECIALIST in spine health." So Captain Obvious simply became Lieutenant Obvious. No answers on tageted exercises, just "you want my opinion? Don't smoke and lose weight". (From the 5'2 110lb man) I left his office feeling like I had totally wasted my time, and I will most certainly never return.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2017

Asked why I had more than one MRI done. I explained that they were for different problems - severe pain on my right side and leg two years ago and the same on my left this year, with my leg buckling and bad falls. Did not explain my MRI results to me. Asked my how far I could walk, and I explained not very far any more due to pain and weakness in my back and leg. I told him a couple of years ago I would walk 5 miles a few times a week. His response was 'I don't care what you used to do. His solution was for me to do cardio exercise a number of times a week until I broke out in a sweat. I found this Dr. abrupt and arrogant.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

After doing a thorough exam Dr Hillel gave a detailed explanation of what he thought was causing my 8 years of back pain & proposed a logical & reasonable plan of action. He is the 5th specialist I've seen in 8 years; he is the first one actually taking action & not telling me to live with daily pain & being completely unable to sit. My first specialist 7.5 years ago told me to lose 50 pounds & engage in a core strengthening program. At the time I was in such acute pain it felt impossible. Initially I cried & felt sorry for myself, but over time through agonizing hard work & tearful dedication I lost 55 lb & am now in the best shape I can be in. My quality of life improved drastically but it's still not where I'd like it to be. But I'm confident that Hillel will do all he can for me now. Had the surgeon prescribed something other than diet & exercise 55lbs ago I'm not sure how much it would have helped. I applaud Dr Hillel for pushing his patients for doing what THEY can to achieve strength & healing!!

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

I was referred to Dr Sommer from the pan am clinic after Dr Pacen had told me that my back pain is just the result of morning stiffness and I was not satisfied with his herniated disc diagnosis. When I met Dr Sommer he seemed to have already made his diagnosis before he even spoke with me. He was extremely rude and basically said the pain I have is not abnormal and I should strengthen my core and lift weights. When I argued that this is affecting my day to day lifestyle and that something is seriously wrong Dr Sommers continued to contridict everything I said, not once did he listen to how my back injury occurred he checked my reflexes quickly and that consisted of his exam which he said the only thing I can do is exercise, I am only 30yrs old but at times I feel 60yrs old, I can't bend or tilt my neck without feeling a sharp pain in my lower back, my left leg gets a sharp pain and my left nut gets a achy pain when my left leg acts up. When I told him I was not satisfied he got very angry he said what do you want from this. I told him I just want to know what is wrong with my back, I think he thinks I want meds or composition or something, I can't think of any other reason why any doctor should be so rude. Once I got upset and started to talk over him he told me to leave so to sum it up I found Dr Sommer one of the most unique professional and irrogant Dr's I have ever met. He did not help me at all and I believe he had his mind made up before he entered the room. When I left the room I was discusted with how unprofessional this Dr was I always thought that Dr's were to listen to your issues and be there to help but Dr Sommer did the complete opposite and made me feel very confused and upset. I would give Dr Sommer a negative rating. I highly do NOT recommend him at all. RUDE and IRROGANT Aug 23 2016 👎

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016