Ratings for Dr. Hillel Sommer

I almost didn't visit this doctor because of some of the previous negative reviews, however, my family doctor told me that he is the best if you are wanting to try steroid injections. I decided that I had nothing to lose and kept my appointment anyway. Things went great. I can see how some people might find him to be a little cold and a bit serious, but personally, I absolutely loved this guy! He was direct, organized, on time and didn't mess around which is what I was looking for. I found him to be very knowledgeable, had good attention to detail and explained things far better than the Chiro, Physio or even GP who all had difficulty explaining anything to me. He gave me a spinal steroid injection for a herniated disc and the procedure went very smooth. Dr Sommer and the radiologist assisting him were very professional and made me feel very comfortable even though I was fairly nervous. If you need someone to hold your hand or help with some of the emotional challenges faced with pain, this might not be the Dr for you. If you want a Dr that is skilled in giving specialized quality care and don't mind him being completely honest even if you'd prefer not to hear it (such as you need to quit smoking, lose weight or even that he can't help you) I'd highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2018

My husband saw this "doctor" a couple of times for back pain, he was the rudest human being I have encountered. I understand he is busy, and I understand we are not there for a friendly visit but out of common courtesy and just being a good human being he could take a moment to listen to the patient. That's part of his job. Not judge the minute you open your mouth to say something, or assume everything tried to reduce pain wasn't good enough and exercise is the key to getting better. It's a funny thing... when you are in pain your mobility and ability to do ANY exercise is compromised . Yet he wouldn't hear of this. We left his office feeling like the stupidest people in the world. His injections didn't work, which understanbling may happen, however he had no other solutions or recommendations for the problem. We waited months to see this man and then months for the injections and then that was it. Biggest waste of time. He has numerous pictures in his office of Childerns football teams. I hope he is more compassionate, postive and encouraging to those young minds then he treats active trying hard to live pain free adults. I have taken every opportunity I have to tell every doctor we have seen since what an Ass this man is.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2018

THE WORSE DOCTOR IN WINNIPEG I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FIBROMYALGIABDO TO A SERIOUS CAR ACCIDENT MPIC SENT ME TOO HIM HE WORKS FOR THEM DO NOT SEE THIS JERK HE SHOULD BE TAKEN TO THE DUMMIES FOR DRS

flag | Submitted January 13, 2018

Staff manage a cancellation list very effectively, follow up excellent by staff, staff are a pleasure to deal with. he was always on time. He is the best for epidural cortisone shots, beyond that he is single minded about exercise- even without examining you. he is all business and is not at all helpful in providing pro active insight or counsel on whether or not your condition will improve and over what time frame. He does have a pre determined agenda and it is limited to get the cortisone shots done, hope that it provides relief, have a very aggressive exercise program and that is it. If cortisone shots are what you need he is the go to person, if you are looking for more than that you will be very disappointed

flag | Submitted September 2, 2017

Dr. Sommer is a very strange and, dishonest and rude individual. When they say they are practicing medicine he really is practicing medicine. Where did he get a degree. He is a total waste of time and very arrogant. NO ONE SHOULD SEE THIS LOSER. Told my husband to go back to work even if it hurts. Somehow I wonder why all those billboards are saying you should not have to work in pain. KARMA WILL GET YOU.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

Total waste of time. His flawed philosophy is based on the fallacious comparative model argument where group A =those who experience little to no pain even though diagnostic testing show a physiological problem are compared to those of group B= who do feel and suffer with a lot of pain & have similar physiological problem , means that group B doesn't need any medical procedure to relieve their acute & chronic pain. Therefore the solution= do 'exercise' even though I've doing specific exercises recommended by multitude of physiotherapists for over 3 decades on daily basis. But what exercise does he recommend? He doesn't! He knocks chiropractors even though they offer more then he does. He also blindly dismissed a prior old injury I had, claiming it wasn't likely that i was suffering from that. Can't believe this guy has a medical practice.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2017

I found Dr. Sommer very knowledgeable, correctly diagnosing that I needed a hip replacement, something which I was pretty sure was going to be needed. He did try an injection, but warned it was probably not going to offer much long-term relief. I appreciated that his staff worked to get me in on a cancellation and that he spent exactly the time needed. I also appreciate being told directly about the likely course of action.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

I recently met with Dr.Sommer about herniated discs and severe low back/leg pain. He proceeded to pretty much tell me I was making everything up, and that lifting weights and running miles a day would fix the problem. I can barely walk most days without pain, and have been specifically told by other medical professionals DO NOT lift. As others have said, he walked in with an agenda of what he was going to say, and did not even begin to listen to what I had to say. He told me how I was feeling, a huge pet piece of mine. He is not in my body. Would not recommend this "doctor" to my worst enemy. I left feeling belittled and upset.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2017

I had my first and last appointment with this doctor today. He was not at all helpful. He did not listen to me. He had an agenda and a speech all prepared and he was not deviating from that. What a waste of my time. He was rude, arrogant, argumentative. He asked me about a procedure I had and when I told him what it was, he argued with me. I told him I did not have a copy of the report but this is what I was told was done. He basically called me a liar, old, fat and stupid. He showed a total lack of respect toward me. He went on a rant about weight. When I told him I had lost a significant amount of weight due to the "nutrition" he was ranting about he then said "you don't exercise enough." He had nothing positive to say to me, was totally disrespectful. I will not be returning to him although his staff was eager to book another appointment. What for? I had my fill of being abused, so why would I come back for more? I would NEVER recommend this doctor to anyone. I thought he must have a hate-on for older patients but I read a comment by a 30-year-old and he was the same with that patient as with me. There is something seriously wrong with him. AVOID THIS DOCTOR AT ALL COSTS.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

I came upon this comment page by accident when I plugged in "sport therapy specialist on Corydon" because I had forgotten his name and thought I might recommend him to my daughter who's been experiencing chronic pain through nerve pressure for over 2 years. I was referred to Dr. Sommer by my GP, probably about 8/9 years ago now. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and compressed discs after an MRI. I didn't care for his manner but that's not what I was there for. He's direct and wants the patient to be succinct. He's not interested in round about the houses stories. I came to this conclusion very quickly and so we got along not too badly. He conducted a spinal injection under X-Ray at Misericordia. It was an absolute success and I remained pain free for about 3 years and then he did a 2nd one. That was about 5 years ago now and I'm still pain free. I don't doubt his knowledge or ability but he really needs to work on his customer service. I did find the staff to be aloof and rather snooty too but I didn't have to engage with them beyond "I'm here for my appointment" so I didn't. I think most of the critical comments made are absolutely true. He is without doubt an unsympathetic physician and I can see how patients would not take to him. I believe the positive comments are mostly made by people who may have personal relationships with Dr. Sommer, i.e. possibly staff? Critical comments tend to be very subjective, emotional, and a little disjointed. Positive comments tend to be sequential, clear, and eloquent so I'm suspicious of them. Dr. Sommer is NOT friendly and no stretch of the imagination could make him so. Although my own experience ended in a good result for me, I've decided against suggesting him to my daughter. She has enough pain in her legs and feet, she doesn't need a pain in the you know what too!

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017