I saw this guy and left his office wondering why I bothered. Arrogant and ignorant. I was an HD Mechanic for 40 years so I have some significant back issues. He asked my weight, I told him and he said I should be 170. I wasn't that weight since I was 17! Then he asked if I smoked. I told him I have a cigar on Saturday nights. That was too much! When he asked about my heart attack, I told him they really didn't conclude anything as to the cause. When I explained the circumstances, he said that was impossible. I went to see him to help me with my back so I can loose about 15 lbs and get my cardio health improved. In the end, he said to come back and see him when I lost 40 lbs, quit smoking for two years and my cardio health was 100%. This guy is a jerk.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016

I like many others I read the posts on this site before visiting Dr. Sommer. Then when I found out how long a wait it was until I could see him and due to the posted comments, I asked the doctor who referred me to him if there was someone else he could refer me to. He smiled and said if you want the best you’ll wait to see Dr Sommer. At the time of my appointment I was in severe pain, and had been taking a lot of medication. We discussed my symptoms and what I hoped to accomplish from my visit. I just wanted to feel free of pain and not dependant on medication. After viewing my MRI report, X-rays and with a thorough examination, he suggested nerve injection shots. We discussed the pros and cons of the injections and he asked if I had any further questions. Also, his staff was very friendly, and arranged for the injection appointment. I received a nerve injection and wow, the pain is gone. I understand it may not work for all cases but I was a lucky one. I have seen more doctors that I can count over the past 40 years and there were some with no manners or morals. I found Dr Sommer very professional, intelligent, and patient, willing to listen and answer any questions. I recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2015

Seeing this doctor was a complete waste of time and money to go see him. He was not helpful at all. All he said was to exercise even though I am unable. He does not care and leaves his patients to suffer. I would rather see a vetnarian than go back to this uncaring jerk!!!!

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

Very abrupt and rude, will not take the time to explain your situation and suggest routes of action. I ended up not returning to see him as it felt there was no point. I would ask your GP to refer you to someone else.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

I was also told that there was no treatment for my back pain except to lose weight and exercise. Easy to say but impossible to do when you are in severe pain. I couldn't afford to keep going to physio where I really got no relief. I was a walker all my life. I gained weight recently when I was in such pain when I walked. Where can I get relief?

flag | Submitted October 7, 2014

I have nothing about a wonderful experience with Dr. Sommer. He is very professional and gets straight to the point. He has helped me though one of the most painful times with my back...

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

Submitted August 11, 2014

I've never had a problem with Dr. Sommer. I'm an athlete and went to him with a neck injury after physio stalled out on me. He was polite, thorough (probably more so than the neurologist I saw), but also blunt. I can see why some might have a difficult time when he tells them to lose weight and get active instead of prescribing meds. That's a tough pill to swallow. But it doesn't make him a poor doctor.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2014

There are several words I could use to describe Dr. Sommer but if I had to pick one word it would be narcissistic. I have never in my life met anyone as rude and arrogant as this man. It's like he is on a power trip. You will note that on his door it states "Pain Management". If you are in pain DO NOT go to this man as he does not have a sympathetic bone in his body. When I went to Sommer his response to me was I needed to get off of all pain medication. To loose weight, exercise and eat properly and he guaranteed me that I would be in less pain. When I asked him what I would use for pain during the day and when I couldn't sleep because of the pain, his response was "suck it up". That is Sommers interpretation of "pain management". Sommer told me and put in writing that I needed surgery. On my last visit he told me I didn't need the surgery. When I asked him why he said "cause I changed my mind". When I asked for a referral he declined. I have been in pain over 4 years.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2013

Dr. Hillel Sommer's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 2-star rating has been posted. "I saw this guy and left his office wondering why I bothered. Arrogant and ignorant. I was an HD Mechanic for 40 years so I have some significant back issues. He..."

January 27, 2016
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I like many others I read the posts on this site before visiting Dr. Sommer. Then when I found out how long a wait it was until I could see him and due to the p..."

June 10, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Seeing this doctor was a complete waste of time and money to go see him. He was not helpful at all. All he said was to exercise even though I am unable. He ..."

April 17, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "The Dr was great, he was on time, professional, and treated me very quickly. I would recommend him to anyone with chronic back pain."

February 23, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Very abrupt and rude, will not take the time to explain your situation and suggest routes of action. I ended up not returning to see him as it felt there was no..."

October 20, 2014
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "I was also told that there was no treatment for my back pain except to lose weight and exercise. Easy to say but impossible to do when you are in severe pain. ..."

October 7, 2014
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I have nothing about a wonderful experience with Dr. Sommer. He is very professional and gets straight to the point. He has helped me though one of the most pa..."

September 23, 2014