Ratings for Dr. Hillel Sommer

I was referred to Dr Sommer from the pan am clinic after Dr Pacen had told me that my back pain is just the result of morning stiffness and I was not satisfied with his herniated disc diagnosis. When I met Dr Sommer he seemed to have already made his diagnosis before he even spoke with me. He was extremely rude and basically said the pain I have is not abnormal and I should strengthen my core and lift weights. When I argued that this is affecting my day to day lifestyle and that something is seriously wrong Dr Sommers continued to contridict everything I said, not once did he listen to how my back injury occurred he checked my reflexes quickly and that consisted of his exam which he said the only thing I can do is exercise, I am only 30yrs old but at times I feel 60yrs old, I can't bend or tilt my neck without feeling a sharp pain in my lower back, my left leg gets a sharp pain and my left nut gets a achy pain when my left leg acts up. When I told him I was not satisfied he got very angry he said what do you want from this. I told him I just want to know what is wrong with my back, I think he thinks I want meds or composition or something, I can't think of any other reason why any doctor should be so rude. Once I got upset and started to talk over him he told me to leave so to sum it up I found Dr Sommer one of the most unique professional and irrogant Dr's I have ever met. He did not help me at all and I believe he had his mind made up before he entered the room. When I left the room I was discusted with how unprofessional this Dr was I always thought that Dr's were to listen to your issues and be there to help but Dr Sommer did the complete opposite and made me feel very confused and upset. I would give Dr Sommer a negative rating. I highly do NOT recommend him at all. RUDE and IRROGANT Aug 23 2016 👎

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016

Concur with most posters. Waited 30 mins. Abrupt, rude, asks questions and then immediately interrupts your explanations. Contradicts everything you say. Dismissive of concerns. Has no realistic suggestions for pain management, but says stop all meds and exercise more. Asks many questions about lifestyle and then zeros in on your bad habits...weight, smoking, sedentary...whatever, and says to fix those things and your pain will disappear. So basically, he focuses on shaming people for their situation. If you don't get better it's your fault bc you haven't completely conquered all the things most normal folks struggle with all their lives. Terribly unsympathetic and unrealistic. For a pain management specialist, he does not seem to care about PAIN. Says pain meds make pain worse. Ok. Right.....Intense cardio for 30 mins is his recommendation to treat extreme pain. Even if you labour all day in your job and are in agony. Is he nuts? No compassion. Impatient with questions about how to implement his 'care' plan. Would not recommend at all.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2016

After reading some of the reviews about Dr Sommer, I considered cancelling my appointment. I am so glad I DID NOT! In my opinion he was very understanding and informative. I had cortisone injections with him today after meeting with him a few weeks ago, and he and his nurse were both fantastic! They make sure you are as comfortable as possible and talk to you the whole time about what is happening. I left feeling great about how things went and here's to hoping the shots help my back! I would not hesitate to go back to him and actually found him much nicer than a lot of other Doctors. If you are referred to dr Sommers I definitely recommend going and finding out for yourself what he is like as a doctor rather than taking the advice of so many negative people!

flag | Submitted May 26, 2016

He was to the point but respectful in the way he did this. Apologized for e late and he was only 15 minutes late! He is the first Dr in years who actually examined me instead of taking my word.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

I had back issues for many years. This was all cause by my military service This time after and MRI last month I now have a bigger problem with my lower spine and disks bulginess I can’t use my left leg very well NO POWER and lost of sensation in my right lower leg (hard to walk, going up stairs or exercise) Had to stop playing hockey last year, Never mind losing weight And yes he cut you off all the time when your trying to explain your problems I was first ask if I smoke (I do cigars) then drink and how much ,when ect…. REALLY I’m 50 some Do I exercise? You’re kidding right !!!! Ref: No power in my legs (He didn’t get that I guess) Was told to change my life style, stop smoking, drinking, watch my calories and exercise. So he will refer me back to PanAm for core exercises . NICE Let’s just say I’m getting a second opinion. That’s the end of him

flag | Submitted April 6, 2016

Hillel is a pompous, arrogant, incompetent fool. I can't believe the medical association allows such a dishonest, incompetent person to claim to be a doctor. DO NOT see this guy, and especially if MPI sends you for a referral. He's on their payroll. His assessment is a joke, and you will receive no good treatment from this person. He is rude as the other person notes, and having sold his soul for the almighty buck it's no wonder he is so angry and generally awful. He is the most incompetent physician I have met. Yes, time for him to stop playing at medicine, or to get a heart implant. KEEP AWAY! seriously!!

flag | Submitted March 30, 2016

Will ask a question, but cuts you off before you can answer. He looks down at you. You feel like you are wasting his time. I don't believe he has the ability to communicate properly with his patients. The rudest doctor I have ever met. I feel sorry for him as he seems to be so unhappy with his job, taking care of the general public. Maybe it is time for Dr. Sommer to retire.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2016

I found Dr. Sommer to be abrupt, arrogant and lacking empathy. If you are an athlete with an acute injury he might be useful, but based on my experience, he seems to have little or no ability to empathize with individuals who are experiencing chronic pain and no advice or treatment program save vague recommendations about exercise. When I pointed out to him that I had tried different forms of exercise and that the pain associated both with my acute injury and my fibromyalgia had been exacerbated by physical activity he had nothing further to offer. If he had at any point shown even a modicum of sympathy, if he had explained which types of exercise might work and why, if he had said: "Try this and come back if it doesn't work," I might have felt differently. Instead, I left feeling as though I had wasted his time. The feeling was mutual.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2016

I too had a horrible experience with this so called Doctor. I was sent to see him by my go to set up cortizone shots for pain and INSTEAD his recommendation was to take me off my meds. What???? He also told me like others here to lose weight & exercise which is absolutely impossible if you can't even walk !!!! He is the most arrogant , narcissistic dr I have ever met ! No wondering was the only one in his waiting room ! I will never go back. I told my go about my experience and asked her to send me to someone else AND not to refer anyone else to him. It's dispicable that he is paid for all these appointments that are a total waste of time and that make you feel both bad about yourself ( due to his arrogance ) and angry at the same time.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2016

I saw this guy and left his office wondering why I bothered. Arrogant and ignorant. I was an HD Mechanic for 40 years so I have some significant back issues. He asked my weight, I told him and he said I should be 170. I wasn't that weight since I was 17! Then he asked if I smoked. I told him I have a cigar on Saturday nights. That was too much! When he asked about my heart attack, I told him they really didn't conclude anything as to the cause. When I explained the circumstances, he said that was impossible. I went to see him to help me with my back so I can loose about 15 lbs and get my cardio health improved. In the end, he said to come back and see him when I lost 40 lbs, quit smoking for two years and my cardio health was 100%. This guy is a jerk.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016