Ratings for Dr. John Oliver

Dr Oliver gave me a brand new hip in May of this year. I have known him since I was 16 when he fixed my ankle in Montreal. He is very kind and nice and bedside manner is outstanding! Explained everything to me the day of surgery. and came to check on me on a Saturday at the hospital a few days after my surgery. Follow up a few weeks later was also on time. He had medical students with him both times I saw him at the hospital and I have to say that they are learning from one of the best. My first surgery was postponed due to emergency surgical cases and Dr Oliver took the time to call me and apologize for having to bump me. He ensured that I was not bumped th second time. The only negative thing is his secretary whom I refer to as Mrs Frosty. She is abrupt and to boot lost the dictation from my consult and never once apologized for it. If I did not have a friend in the booking dept at KGH, I would never have known my paperwork was not complete for my surgical date.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2016

Dr Oliver treated my 13 year old son for a broken ankle and leg. He was beyond kind, and gentle with my son. I found him to be very informative and very knowledgeable at his practice. I would recommend him to anyone. Did not find him arrogant one bit, but professional and thorough and kind! My son thinks he's a cool Dr. and speaks highly of him!

flag | Submitted March 23, 2016

Excellent Doctor. My appointment was punctual and informative. Dr. Oliver got right to the point and was excellent in explaining the procedure / process. He paid close attention to my questions and concerns and I am very appreciative of the manner in which he conducted the meeting.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

Waste of time meeting with this arrogant Dr. This guy was so full of himself he did not seem to listen at all to my concerns. I suppose he made is mind up about me as soon as he saw me. I felt more confused about my situation and my options, than before I saw him. I really don't care what kind of pain he was put thru in becoming a surgeon, that is not an excuse to treat people the same way.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2015

My issue with this Dr. Is his lack of follow up or concern after he has put someone under the knife. If a patient calls 6 weeks after surgery with complaints of severe pain and swelling out of nowhere, you don't tell them that you can see them for an appointment 2 months from that date. Turns out I have an infection, diagnosed by the walk-in clinic Dr.... I would expect "my surgeon" to be concerned with my recovery! His staff actually had the nerve to all me back after my inquiry to tell me that they could setup the appointment for 2 months later? It blew my mind!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

In 2006 I was put on a waiting list for Dr Oliver for knee replacement surgery. In January 2007 iI got a call for April surgery. I asked if it could be postponed until fall. In the late fall I called his office and talked to a very professional and helpful secretary/receptionist. She was apologetic that I had not had a call back. Within two weeks I was in to see Doctor Oliver, and put on a priority list if there was a cancellation. In no time I was called in. Bilateral surgery, complete knee replacement both knees at one time. Is it a pleasant operation .... no. Recovery and end results are in your court. Follow the doctors and physio prescription and the outcome is fantastic. Dr Oliver in my opinion is very professional at what he does and I recommend him in a heartbeat. He is there to do his job, not to be a social butterfly or a comedian. I describe him as having very poor bedside manner, but extremely knowledgeable and professional at what he does. I would sooner the latter than a comedian who does not do good work. My knew knees gave me a whole new life and I would have Dr Oliver do it again in a heartbeat if I required it again.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2015

I went to Dr Oliver after being put on medical leave from work for a bad knee. I work out of the country. I came to him after seeing another Ortho in Australia who had me get an MRI & diagnosed me with osteonecrosis in the knee. When I went to Dr Oliver, he just said he wanted to see if it would fix itself on its own, so after a month (of being on crutches & in pain) I went for another MRI which showed very little difference. The adema & swelling had gone down but the lesion was still there. he gave me no idea of what he planned on doing. after another 2 months & no clear answer from this quack, he decided to send me to someone else! Who had an 8 month wait!!! So I asked my GP to find me someone else. this other Dr (Ackerman in Kamloops) saw me, had me for day surgery the next week & within a month after that I was cleared to go back to work! Dr Oliver is an idiot & shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine. He has no idea what he's doing & is about as friendly as heartburn! I just about lost my job because of him. I even told him that I was going to be cut off from my company's medical coverage, which I was. Ive had to live for 3 months without any income & not being able to get a job because of him. Do NOT go to this idiot unless you are willing to take a chance on your health, life & livelihood. I wouldn't let this guy touch me with a 10 foot pole, much less operate on me!

flag | Submitted October 22, 2014

Broke my ankle in 2 places. Saw Dr. Oliver pretty much straight away. Professional, helpful, knowledgeable. Told me and my husband the surgical procedure. Follow up has been excellent as well. Great bedside manner.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2014

On March 21 2014 I had a full hip replacement surgery performed by Dr. Oliver. It's now been less than 2 weeks and I'm pain free and gaining more leg and hip movement each and every day. He has been courteous and top notch professional. Thank God I don't believe everything I read and I'm able to make my own conclusion. In short; A BIG THANK YOU to Dr. Oliver and his staff.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2014

I had surgery in 2013. His staff is friendly but does not answer the phone, nor return messages within a couple of days - try weeks. He is the most arrogant individual I have ever encountered. After misdiagnosing my knee in the hospital - he spent 2 minutes and missed a torn ACL, torn MCL and torn meniscus. I went through a year and half of rehab, pain and disability. Second meeting, AFTER I paid for a private MRI that showed the tears, he said I should have had surgery when it happened so my outcome wouldn't be as good now. Then I had surgery and had many complications, but he was not available for a follow up since his office was being renovated. His office booked me to see him in the hospital, and after waiting for 3 additional weeks for the appoint and 2 hours in the waiting room, he didn't bother with a full examination, did not have my records so said I had to book an office appointment. That took another month. All of his exams were cursory and he missed major problems.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2014