Ratings for Dr. Joseph Killen

Dr. Killen has been my doctor for 20 years now. He is great. He listens to your suggestions and is willing to work with you. If you need a specialist, he doesn't hesitate to send you. He has been there above and beyond for me and my family. I think he is great, however, the new secretary system they have just started I don't like at all the old way is better. But hopefully things will get better with time it is new. As far as the staff, they are great I have never ever had a bad experience with a nurse or receptionist there. Sometimes he runs a little behind on appointments but that is because he doesn't rush you through yours. This is a very big and busy practice. If you have an appointment it is fine if your a walk-in chances are your gonna wait an hour or so.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2007

I feel that First Colonial Family Practice is too big and impersonal. Dr. Killen only saw me once in a dozen visits. I feel 3-5 hours is too long to wait for each appointment. I feel nurses should not discuss personal information in the lobby in front of other patients so that they can dismiss a patient without being seen by a doctor or even brought into a private room. I feel office staff should act professionally.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2007

He is a good gp. If he thinks you need a specialist he will send you to one. Some things that I worry about he doesn't. All in all he is a very good gp.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2007

I hate this dr and this practice. I have turned in a formal complaint to my insurance company as well as switched doctors. I had a recent visit after a year & lost 35 lbs between those times. My weight was NEVER mentioned the whole time. A good doctor would have inquired because weight loss isn't always a good thing. But no. I also wanted my blood results mailed to me but no, I had to call every day 5 days in a row to get my results. My doctor deemed normal, but because of my family history, I have not deemed those numbers as normal...my cholesterol & triglycerides have to be monitored and I have borderline numbers!! JERK! Also the waiting room here makes you feel vulnerable. It is bigger than the first floor of my house. The staff behind the counter is as unprofessional as it gets. I was a patient for 6 years, saw employees come & go, but the unprofessionalism remained strong!!! This place is too big and they don't care and I am outta here...PLEASE DO NOT GO HERE..

flag | Submitted December 5, 2006

Dr. Joseph Killen's Credentials

• Eastern Virginia Medical School (Grad. 1983)