Ratings for Dr. Allan E. Mendell

Just uncaring he will prescribe meds without a blink of and eye and if you are a person with a history of mental illness but don't believe you have and you don't want to be on meds he will do that for you if pay. Even after 3 stays at mental facilities. Now my family member a mess and she thinks he is the greatest. I to was once a patent of mendell I was on so many med I couldn't deal with everyday life. Please don't be treated by this man. Money is his goal.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2017

I happen to differ with the negative reviews of Doctor Mendell. I found him to be thoughtful, pleasant, thorough and effective. Psychiatrist's don't do talk therapy. Psychologists do. Insurance companies don't pay for MD's to perform psychotherapy. It's too expensive. Be prepared for your visit. One should bring a list of all medications one is taking, including prescription and OTC. Know if one has any allergies. The doctor is going to ask if anyone in the patient's family suffers from mental illness. Write it down. The doctor is going to ask the patient many questions to assess the patient's condition and the best course of treatment. He will prescribe accordingly. Be prepared. Dr. Mendell is a fine doctor. He is not a mind reader. It's best to see a psychotherapist prior to, or in conjunction with a psychiatrist. A patient may want to bring a trusted friend or family member that can give observations that may help the doctor. The doctor is not fixing a broken bone. He is fixing a broken brain. They are quite different. Medicines need careful tweeking and the patient must be seen, at first, with some frequency. Many prescriptions must be closely monitored, and, by law, cannot be renewed automatically. Be on time. Do your part and you will like the doctor just fine. He is there to help you.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2014

Ill be honest, I was stuck with this guy because of the severe lack of qualified professionals in New Hampshire, actually,a system wide issue - Nationally (Mental Health TX...)Probably the most unprofessional, uncaring, cranky, pushy, I-Know-Everything so don't even attempt to question my diagnosis/ medication management, his "bedside manner is demeaning, try an page him ( "Go To The ER,") money hungry (I do not believe that it is actually legal to charge me an office visit for a refill - especially for a medication to which I have asked to be tapered - post 2 years of no-response to tx, rude, angry, miserable attitude (he actually makes me depressed when I leave his office & and my anxiety increase! Advice: if you NEED your medication filled/& he is your ONLY option, he will do for now... But, activily look for a private NP if you can... (*NOT ONE within this "practice," they just awful, perhaps that is a requirement?) Worse, he seems to enjoy "playing" with my medication?

flag | Submitted June 19, 2014

This so called doctor gives out drugs way above the FDA recommended level and all types of drug mixtures my wife was so messed up every time she went in her does were upped she got worse not better .you have a bad week his answer is drugs this man has destroyed the lives of us and our chilldren. the only solution doctor Mandell has is to throw a pill at every situation save your self and family do not use doctor mendell

flag | Submitted October 21, 2013

I must say the reviews that I have read thus far coincide with my experience as well. Non-existent bedside manner. Prescribes without hesitation, drugs are his only answer. If 50mg. don't work, take 75 mg. If your concerned about an elevation in your blood pressure, because of the meds. he has already prescribed - we'll the answer is blood pressure medicine. Don't expect any refills, unless you pay his fee for an office visit. Once your at the office, before you said a word he takes out his prescription pad and starts writing in auto-pilot mode.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2012

absolutely terrible doctor.Put me on med. caused seizures. awful doctor , do not see him..........

flag | Submitted July 11, 2010

This is without a doubt the worst doctor my son, now 20 has ever been too. My son is now in college and cannot get refills for his medications unless he comes back and goes to an office visit with Dr. Mendell. He offers absolutely no help except drugs, then he refuses to refill them if you don't come in for a follow up (1 per month). The office will not recommend another doctor, nor have they suggested any alternate methods to help my son. He is just an overall zero.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2009

Terrible. He paid almost no attention to my daughter (patient) when in office, only half listened to me (mother). Prescribed medication with indiffernce. Wrong diagnosis, wrong medication, thank god I found another doctor!

flag | Submitted December 10, 2008

Easily the worst doctor I have ever seen. No patient caring at all. Took my young son (8) to see him a few times and he never once interacted with him. Just tried to push different meds without regard to his conditions. Very hard to work with.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2008

Dr. Mendell worked as a psychiatrist at 1 Main Street in Nashua. He pushed so many drugs on me that I became sicker and sicker. I was a minor and didn't have much choice in the matter. I started with 50mgs of Zoloft at 12 years old. By the time I was 16 I was prescribed 250 of Welbutrin, 300 of Zoloft, 40mg of Adderall and 15 of Concerta. ALL AT THE SAME TIME. My symptoms of depression turned violently into psychosis. He convinced me that I must be getting sicker, but not from the meds of course! Every time I saw him he would ask ME what mediation *I* wanted to 'up'. At the highest doses of my medication I weighed 95 pounds and was wearing a halter heart monitor for the damage the pills had caused me. I had been experiencing hallucinations, in which I questioned the dosage of the meds. He replied that I needed ANTI-PSYCHOTICS immediately and wrote me a script for Ativan. I was 16 years old. I stopped cold turkey and now take FISH OIL. I have not experienced symptoms since

flag | Submitted July 13, 2008

Dr. Allan E. Mendell's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical Branch At Galveston (Grad. 1976)