Ratings for Dr. Annemarie A. Spooner

I have been a patient of Dr. Spooner's for 8+ years. While Dr. Spooner herself is wonderful, her new support staff is terrible. In the last few months her nurse kept declining my refill request for my birth control, despite just having my annual exam. In my frustration I set up an apt discuss an IUD so I didn't have to deal with this anymore. I got that set up, and filled out my order forms. A week later, the nurse called to "make sure I was certain about getting an IUD" I told her I was. A month later, I called and scheduled my apt for insertion, for 1 week ahead. The receptionist said we were good to go. I took time off work, boyfriend took time off work, I ended up needed anxiety medication, and had a lot of panic attacks that week. But I got through it and showed up to my insertion appointment. I'm in the waiting room, extremely anxious for the pain that is to come, for 45 minutes before they tell me that the IUD never arrived. I set this up 1+ month ago. They didn't bother to tell me. I planned my life around this. They don't keep ANY in stock. Apparently I wasn't supposed to set up my insertion appointment until the pharmacy called me to confirm they were sending the IUD to Dr. Spooner's office. Would make more sense for the receptionist to simply say "hey, we don't have an IUD here in your name" when I set up the insertion a week in advance. I ended up leaving in tears from the idea of having to go through this nightmare again at planned Parenthood. Dr. Spooner is an excellent doctor, but if you need an IUD, go literally anywhere else. I'm actually extremely sad having to leave Dr. Spooner's office, but her new nurse and receptionist make it impossible to keep coming here. The new nurse (not Eileen) seems to be sabotaging patients access to birth control. Hopefully that's not the case.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2018

Doctor Spooner and nurse who works directly under her are FANTASTIC, but the front office staff are TERRIBLE. I'm serious. They are the worst I have ever encountered. NEVER answer the phone or return voice messages. I'm a patient and I've been trying to make an appointment for months by phone.....

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

Good luck getting past the receptionist for anything. Dr. Spooner is very nice and very knowledgeable but treats with her own beliefs. I asked to have a medical procedure performed and was told that I was not mentally capable of making that decision since I was still of child bearing years and did not have children already. At nearly 40, I think I am mentally capable of deciding whether or not I ever want to be a mother. (I was not asking for an abortion.) I received my yearly reminder card a week after I received my annual check up which is about 51 weeks early. I question the organization and after reading the other reviews my concerns are valid.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

Those office lost my sample, and did not notify me until 4 months later. Showed no remorse or apologies. Their area cost me about $200 out of pocket in retesting fees.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2017

First, Dr. Spooner is hands down the best gynecologist I've ever seen. She is extremely knowledgeable and has the best bedside manner I've ever encountered. Her nurse, Eileen, is equally wonderful. Her front office staff, however, is just terrible. They do not return voicemails, and never call back when they say they will. They enter appointment times incorrectly and then blame patients for not showing up on time. If you use Dr. Spooner, make sure to double check your bills and compare them to your insurance EOBs. I've noticed several coding errors, and they've charged me for "noncovered services" that my insurer actually would cover if they provided adequate information (the type of injection I received, for example). I'm willing to endure the ineptitude because Dr. Spooner is so wonderful, but I'm not sure my patience is interminable.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2016

Dr Spooner is very attentive and caring. The nurse is awful and therefore I cannot recommend. I was told by nurse I needed a procedure I asked for detail and she said to look it up on Internet. Turns out it was very invasive so I scheduled appointment with doctor who offered more practical options. the nurse is the gatekeeper and is very slow to respond. Once I scheduled an appointment to get a refill it was the last straw

flag | Submitted September 30, 2014

Would not recommend her. Never got a call back from the office even though I called twice! I guess I'm just not that important to her!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2014

Dr. Spooner, her nurse, and staff are fanatastic. Dr. Spooner is extremely knowledgeable, was very thorough, and addressed all of my questions and needs. I highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2013

For a routine exam, you would think this would be simple. Nope. I have gotten two "diagnoses"..."Ooops, that must be another patient, no, it is you...." I'm picking up my medical records, but need to pay for them. This is crazy!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2013

Dr. Spooner is everything you want in a gynecologist. She is gentle, thorough, knowledgeable and sensitive. I never feel rushed or patronized no matter the questions asked. I would recommend her in a heartbeat.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2013

Dr. Annemarie A. Spooner's Credentials

• Brown University Program In Medicine (Grad. 1998)