Ratings for Dr. Derek Jonker

Unconditionally competent in knowledge and manner. Goes above and beyond regularly.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2016

Thank You! I'm doing great because of you. And, unlike some of your patients, I've always appreciated the truth. Allyson

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

My daughters and I met with Dr. Jonker for the first time yesterday. This is my fourth primary cancer in the last nine years. The other three were successfully treated with surgery and short term radiation at The General Hospital and I wouldn't go anywhere else. They are the best. This time I will require radiation, chemotherapy and surgery for esophageal cancer. After meeting with Dr. Jonker we left the hospital feeling well informed, unrushed and very hopeful that the outcome will be positive. We have the utmost respect for his professionalism and feel that I am in the best care available. Thank you Dr. Jonker et al.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2015

flag | Submitted August 19, 2014

I am going for Esophageal mucosal resection and scope for precancerous cells. Of the many Doctors I have seen, no one informed me that there would be no cure. I was elated when informed that I did not require radiation or chemo. Dr. Jonker said to me "why are you happy", "this is very serious", "there is no cure for what you have". I left this appointment with so many mixed feeling. I was just handed a death sentence. I will be speaking to the surgeon and my family Doctor regarding this. I may have to go back after the next scope but on no uncertain terms will I be seeing this Doctor.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2013

Dr. Jonker is THE BEST. He was my husband's oncologist more than 10 years ago. The first time we met him, my husband had extensive metastatic disease. Now - 10 years later - he's cancer free. The good doctor was straight with us. Sure, at times he seemed rushed, but his patient load is heavy. Despite this, he always took the time to answer my many questions, even if they were off the wall. I appreciated it when he put me in my place when I was acting like "Dr. Google". He was aggressive in his treatment and did what needed to be done to get a cure. For that, I am forever grateful.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2013

We saw him for a consultation today. He was pleasant, respectful and professional. He took the time needed to explain my friend's situation, his options and answered our questions all in a clear and articulate manner. We were very impressed by his knowledge and kind personality. He is everything we expect from a medical doctor and wish other medical doctors were like him. Thank you Dr Jonker.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2013

I couldn't have a more knowledgeable medical oncologist than Dr.Jonkers. He is pressed for time but he uses his time wisely and ensures that you understand your treatment plan and if you don't understand, he will go to great lengths to make sure you understand his information. He understands that you are not a doctor and will talk to you in words that you will understand. Also, He will open his computer and show and explain any of your tests that he has access to. I owe my life to Doctor Jonkers. Ottawa is very fortunate to have him in their city. Thank you Doctor Jonkers and God Bless You!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2013

My sister ultimately lost her battle with stage 4 colon cancer, but dr jonker and his work on clinical trials gave her an extra 2 years. While I agree that he may come across as arrogant and non-empathetic (i remember being horrified after the first meeting),after spending 2 years with the man I can tell you that he has a tough job that none of us could ever imagine doing, and his passion in life is helping people and finding a cure. While his bedside manner could maybe use a little help, he does care, is a great doctor, and if you think he's not present at your appointment, it's because he's busy thinking two steps ahead for you. Brilliant oncologist, Ottawa is lucky to have him.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2012

No compassion, very cold, does not help in understanding situation and options, no time for his patients. I assume knowledgeable but only within what he offers. Probably more in the field for the research than for helping patients. Should be in a lab.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2012