Ratings for Dr. Jihad H. Kaouk

I am one of many permanently harmed patients, many requiring corrective and emergency lifesaving surgery, who filed complaints against Jihad Kaouk with the Ohio Medical Board, CMS, Joint Commission, State and Federal Courts. CMS investigation of Jihad Kaouk's surgery schedule "revealed on 01/18/2010 [Jihad Kaouk] was scheduled to start surgery at 7:30AM and 7:35AM and on 01/19/2010 at 7:25AM, 7:30AM, 12:39PM and 12:41PM." At the time, Kaouk was not board certified, not credentialed, and not privileged to use the da Vinci as cited by CMS. The student doctors under his supervision, not authorized to perform these surgeries, were also not credentialed or privileged. Kaouk was cited for refusing to respond to federal investigators questions. In contradiction to the 95-99% positive outcomes represented to his patients before surgery, he stated to CMS investigators that "only one third" of his patients recovered function. Kaouk represented an Iowa Medical License on CMS documents. The Iowa Medical Board wrote he not did possess, nor did he meet their minimum requirements, for an Iowa medical license. Under oath, Kaouk falsely claimed to be board certified in his home country and board eligible in the US. Both claims were contradicted by the Arab Board of Urology and the American Board of Urology. Volume experience, surgical outcomes, and claimed credentials represented to patients, on websites, and on documents were falsely exaggerated. Kaouk was a paid lecturer, consultant, and proctor for Intuitive Surgical, a conflict of interest he did not represent to his patients. He did not tell his patients that he was "performing" surgery on more than one patient at the same time. Ghost surgeries were concealed from patients with “copy and paste” generic Op Notes written in 3rd person not identifying who performed the surgery. Op notes falsely stated minimal blood loss and no complications. When asked to provide evidence that he was present at any time during my devastating surgery, Kaouk and the Cleveland Clinic refused. Surgical time out, same day surgery consent (falsified), surgeon's attestation (blank), OR log, and audit report provide no evidence Kaouk was ever present during my surgery. He called my wife by telephone to tell her he "had trouble and got stuck" but then refused to provide any explanation to her. I am one of a "staggering number" of patients permanently harmed by Kaouk. Google "CLEVELAND CLINIC CASES HIGHLIGHT FLAWS IN SAFETY OVERSIGHT" and read links to the actual reports citing federal violations of Patient's Rights, Informed Consent, Medical Records, Credentialing, Privileging, Operating Room Fires and Patient Burns not reported or documented, Concealment of foreign objects left in patients, and more. BEWARE!

flag | Submitted July 16, 2016

Cleveland Clinic is fully committed to excellence in clinical practice, research, medical innovation, and patient care. Jihad Kaouk, M.D., Director of the Center for Robotic and Laparoscopic Surgery at Cleveland Clinic, and an American Board-Certified Urologist and Surgeon who specializes in the surgical treatment of complex kidney, prostate and bladder cancer, sees some of the most difficult medical cases in the world. Further, Dr. Kaouk’s clinical outcomes are superior and well above the national average among his peers. He is also a well-known pioneer in the field of urology, who has developed minimally invasive surgical techniques that have significantly advanced treatment for patients with complex urologic conditions. We are extraordinarily proud to have him as a member of our professional medical staff.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2016

Submitted May 1, 2016

I had prostate cancer for over seven years. In late February 2015, I had a biopsy done and it showed that my cancer had grown. It was recommended to me that I address it before I got any older, and while I was still young enough to heal properly. At first, I was recommended to Dr. Ochs at Urology One in Canton, where I live. After consulting with him, because of my physical size, he recommended that I go to Cleveland Clinic and see Dr. Jihad Kaouk. An appointment was set. I first met with one of Dr. Kaouk's colleagues, and then Dr. Kaouk himself. He thoroughly explained my condition, and then informed me that he was going to remove my prostate robotically. He then told me that he was one of the original eleven doctors that had pioneered the procedure. I could tell by the smiles on his face while he was telling me about it, that he was proud of his accomplishments, as he should be. He explained to me exactly what to expect the day of the surgery and the days following. A surgery date was set for June 15, 2015. On the day of the surgery, I showed up early in the morning at the Cleveland Clinic Surgery Center. The receptionist told my wife about their information system and how they could stay informed of my progress. It wasn't long before I was taken back and the nurses prepared me for surgery. Shortly after that I was wheeled to the operating area where I met the anesthesiologist and the other doctors that would be assisting. Just before they wheeled me in, Dr Kaouk was there to shake my hand as promised. I was taken into the operating room, transferred to the table, and an oxygen mask was put on me. I asked if they could move the mask because it had my nose slightly pinched and the next thing I know, I woke up in recovery. I am writing this letter in recognition of Dr. Kaouk, his colleagues, and your nursing staff. They all took excellent care of me, and made an unpleasant situation, as pleasant as it could be. I had one complication that caused me to have to stay a few extra days at the clinic, but Dr. Kaouk and colleagues kept me well informed, and they took every precaution to insure that I was on the road to recovery. The nursing staff was like a well oiled machine. I am so glad that I was sent to Dr. Kaouk, and that I had my surgery done robotically. It was sooo much less invasive. One of my first roommates in the hospital had the same surgery, only traditionally. He was in so much pain, sick as a dog, and staples from one end to another. I had five small incisions, was glued, and was back to work in three weeks. I did not even take one pain medication. Don't get me wrong. I was stiff and sore, but I did not feel that it was bad enough to have to take anything. I have now completed all of my follow up visits with Dr. Kaouk and can now be checked periodically in Canton where I live. I am proud to say that from my Pathology reports, that I am cancer free and glad to have that chapter of my life behind me. Thank you Dr Kaouk, and thank you Cleveland Clinic. Keep up the good work and the wonderful pioneering that you both are doing!

flag | Submitted December 30, 2015

Dr. Kaouk, was professional and very up front and honest regarding surgical risks, diagnosis and other options for my mom's medical care. We were not pressured by him regarding our decisions. He was very knowledgable and took the time necessary to educate, not only my mom but the family. Dr. Kaouk showed compassion along side professionalism. His diagnosis was spot on and today my mom is a very vibrant 83 year old great grandma enjoying a new lease on life. We are thankful for Dr. Kaouk's giftedness in helping and healing people.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2015

Never saw him my entire three days in hospital or first follow up one week after surgery to remove drains and catheter. Later told me he could not see anything, used a template had to guess. And put clamps on my nerves. I learned later that he was not board certified as he stated and had been denied a medical license in Iowa. He has harmed many patients.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

Fantastic doctor. He genuinely cares about his patients and is extremely professional. There is no other urologist I would go to. He is board certified and is very knowledgeable about his field.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2015

Disastrous by Ben H After my prostatectomy, I remained in Cleveland Clinic hospital for 6 days in tremendous pain. Against my will, I was discharged and within 24 hours was in emergency surgery in another city hospital where I lost part of my intestine, underwent 3 additional surgeries. I too was left totally impotent and incontinent. I believe Kaouk is an incompetent, uncaring, and dishonest doctor.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014

Dr. Kaouk was very informational and clear when discussing options for prostate cancer. Being only 44 years old, he clearly identified the associated risks and chances for a full recovery of all three aspects of the robotic surgery. I felt very comfortable with Dr. Kaouk, and I quickly developed a trust within him to go forward with the surgery. It has now been 22 months since the surgery and I am cancer free, and the other two aspects of the recovery are about as good as I could have hoped for. Thank you Dr. Kaouk for not only saving my life, but for allowing me the chance to resume all of the activities that I enjoyed prior to surgery.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2014

I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma in 2009. The first doctor I went to said because of the location of the cancer my whole left kidney needed to be removed. I then went for another opinion and this doctor recommended Dr. Kaouk. I am so thankful for his recommendation. Dr. Kaouk was extremely encouraging and reassured me he could remove the cancer successfully . The surgery was a complete success and I am now going on 5 years cancer free. He is extremely proficient, always upbeat and he did save my kidney and my life. My family and I will always be grateful to him and would recommend Dr. Kaouk to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2014

Dr. Jihad H. Kaouk's Credentials

• American Univ Of Beirut, Fac Of Med, Beirut, Lebanon (Grad. 1993)