Ratings for Dr. Harold Nyhof

I don’t even know where to start. This guy is the definition of “white privledge” and I personally don’t care for the term. But how else can you explain how he still has a medical licence, or got one in the first place? He also loves to brag how he’s the head of this and that. He’s a bully and very chauvinistic. He must have money, or had his med school paid for by a rich daddy and uses said profits to line up prestigious gigs for himself. All these comments here are 100 percent believable. Let’s see.... he once told the nurse he needed “extra large gloves” just prior to inserting the speculum for a pap. As if I don’t feel shamed enough lying there in a paper gown with extreme pain. At our first meeting, he threatened me with exclusion of medical services. I had an extremely viable complaint against another doctor that permanently harmed me, in negligence and bad faith, and he told me if I pursued my complaint to the College of Physicians,, then no one in my area would help me with my chronic condition. At the time, my condition was very painful, which led me to think I could actually die and couldn’t afford to be doctor-less. He told me he would “guard” my written complaint I wrote to my local rha “under lock and key”, reading between the lines that likely meant the paper shredder. Nonetheless, I took his promise seriously (that no one in town would want to help me) and regret not following through on a more formal level. I later found out (by talking to patients in the waiting room when he was running hours behind) that he was the doctor assigned to patients, by our rha, that made complaints at the rha level (all four of us sitting and waiting had done so). He never helped me with anything. He would put up road blocks, treat me like a hypochondriac, and would refuse simple tests (ie: once told me I should get blood work done because a needle poke could cause an infection). It took years of begging, pleading, trips to ER’s in other cities, to finally be heard and receive proper care. Shameful. I vote two-tiered health care...he’d be out of business so fast because people would be able to vote with their feet. I think he thought I was stupid, perhaps all women he feels this way towards, but I was just biting my tongue because I was angry and in pain. I used to get anxiety before appointments. I still do, likely ptsd from the horrific care I received from him and others in my rha. I knew I was blackballed and was terrified that his prophecy would come true. If you can guess who I am Nyhof, I’m finally feeling better and have my life back, no thanks to you or our local rha.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2018

The absolutely the worst doctor I have ever met how does he keep his licence. He doesn't care about you . He is rude IGNORANT. Has told me to be quiet after asking me a question . Never looks at you only his computer interprets medicine to suit his need not your blows off tests as a useless. Belittles you dehumanized you makes fun of you . Never listens .his his way or the highway. I have panic attacks before seeing him. Makes mistakes on medication than blames everybody but himself. Told me I was wasting his time and sit still it was driving him crazy . Faxes meds but refused to print me a copy. Changes med without evev telling me. Treats me like I'm stupid and is inappropriate comments are unprofessional and border line sexual. He will never touch me. . He should not have his licence. Bad Bad Doctor

flag | Submitted June 21, 2018

Not helpful at all pretty much told me to deal with my problem on my own and to keep suffering with my mental health problems at my job until it gets to the breaking point

flag | Submitted February 23, 2018

Dr Nyhof is the most arrogant self centred egotistical person I have every met He is a horrible doctor who does not care about his patients He will come into the too and make some inappropriate remark that he thinks is funny He sits down and his face is in the computer which he hides from you When I was try to eXlpain to him I need my meds to cover me while I'm away on holidays he didn't understand and told I was confused because of all the meds I'm on Even though I had not taken them. It felt like he was posturing for the med student in the room.when I raised concerns about my bp which was high. O don't have a hx of high bp.he blew me off 200/105 is significant . He tried to equate me like an alcoholic. Idont drink. He made me feel.samll like I had no intelligence. He was so disrespectful dehumanizing a bully and of no help.tp me. He has misdiagnosed 2 friends of mine who now are being tx for camcer i. Don't trust him or his knowledge. He will never touch me But being the only doctor he said no.pne would.take care.pf me if I complain. I did once call the manager Jim Dear And the first words put of his mouth was( I know who you are and all about You!) In a very loud voice There is no way that environment is helpful It is a very toxic environment and I hate going .the bp rises I can't breath .I'm up all night having anxiety attacks. HE SHOULD NOT BE A DOCTOR

flag | Submitted February 1, 2018

Really good at "dad jokes" (intense sarcasm, because I couldn't stand his icebreakers at every appointment), and also didn't give a flying F*&^ about my legitimate physical problems. Convinced I was a hypochondriac with a mental disorder, probably because I am female. I had anxiety before every appointment because I knew it would be a drag and involve me begging for help or a referral. You might be wondering why I didn't just switch GP's? Reason is I filed a complaint about another doctor and was assigned him. He told me if I followed through with my complaint, no one would help me around there in my community with 1 doctor clinic. I was worried if I switched doctors I would in fact a) get a worse one, b) continue to be wrongly labelled. I naively thought I could make him realize I was a sane, rational person, with a legitimate physical problem that needed fixing. Ultimately, he really slowed down my healing, put up roadblocks to referrals, procedures and tests. However, he was never afraid to open up his perscription pad. I believe he is in this field for the money, a mysogynist, and has lost his spark for medicine (assuming it was there at one point that is). The hypocratic oath in medicine is nonmaleficence (First do no harm), and he harmed me by dragging his feet and making my nightmare of chronic pain last longer than it needed to. After many years, I am currently 85% pain free, back at work full time, and all because I pressured him to give me a referral for a surgery in which he advised me against. I am getting my life back, if only I could take back the last five years. I can hardly wait until we can get two tier health care. The health care in Manitoba is disgusting, bad practitioners are not penalized (unless it involves molestation, but killing and maiming patients is perfectly fine) and I wish I could have self-referred to a specialist, like you can in the USA without wasting time, pleading, and begging. In this case, Nyhof was not steering my ship, he was my anchor.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

We met Dr. Nyhof for the first time this week. He is very friendly and calm. He helped us out with more than any other Doctor ever has. He was knowledgeable and helpful. I am sorry that other people have had problems here. Remember many people who have negative things to post more than people that have nice things to say. I see sso few posts here I wonder how many patients he has helped in his career that have not posted here? I think this Dr. is a great addition to the Access Clinic beside the Grace Hospital.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2017

I can't believe he has been accepted to practice in yet another city! I first saw Dr Nyhof in 1987 when I was pregnant with my first child. He was funny, yes, but that doesn't heal people. I didn't listen to all the people who had told me family members died under his care. I thought it was an exaggeration, yet I didn't really trust him with serious health issues. But how do you know you have serious health issues, if your doctor can't find them? I recommended him to my mother in 2000, and for a few years more we each trusted him unknowingly. I stopped seeing him when I moved out of the city - but my poor mother continued on. She is lucky to be alive, no thanks to Dr Nyhof! She had a vaginal cancer, and was bleeding at the age of 60! He told her it was nothing. Then a few months later, she went back, still, don't worry about it, we'll see how it is in a few more months. She finally had gone to a specialist for another issue, and mentioned it to him. He immediately got her into a cancer doctor, and forced Dr N to give her the pap smear she had been asking him for. He said since she didn't have a cervix after a hysterectomy, she didn't need a pap smear. WELL - how wrong was he!! She ended up with Stage 3 Vaginal cancer, and if not for the aggressive chemo, radiation, and another treatment I can't recall the name of (she had to be flown to Toronto for it) she would not be alive today 15 years later! he grudgingly gave her the pap smear, then sent it to the wrong hospital, further delaying treatment. He never once apologized, or took responsibility for his actions. My dad went into the office to confront him. I wrote him a letter, explaining his fault. I even reported him the the Physicians & Surgeons office. And YET - he still is allowed to practice witch doctor medicine! Unbelievable!! PLEASE - if you are looking for reviews on this Mad Man - DO NOT trust him with your life, if you value it!!!!

flag | Submitted October 29, 2015

Dr. Nyhoff is now meeting the needs of patients in The Pas. As far as I'm concerned, he is very punctual, actually warns against unnecessary use of medications, has a great rapport with his patients, and demonstrates considerable clinical experience. Speaking from the point of view of one who deals with parents, children, and a number of professionals from a variety of disciplines, I can unequivocally say that he engenders a sense of trust and commitment to good care. I'm glad he takes the time to come up north. His humor is an added bonus.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2015

Awful doctor!! Arrogant and unhelpful. He doesn't explain much and doesn't seem to listen (continuously types on his computer during the appointment)

Submitted April 16, 2015

Dr. Nyhof is a pompous jerk.While I was his patient I was suffering from reoccurring bouts of virtigo and when I asked him what are the causes of virtigo he simply looked at me over his glasses and shrugged his shoulders . At the Access River East where he was practising he made a comment to me about the free condoms that they supplied at the A.R.E. saying they should all be cherry flavoured . I as well work in the health care field and found his lack of professionalism and his propensity for telling off colour jokes very telling about his character . I also work with seniors and a few of them had had Dr. Nyhof as their doctor , there were no tears shed by them on behalf of the Dr. as they as well found him to be lacking sorely in both skill and class. I think that these seniors would rather have been treated by a Dr. who wants to HONOR the Hypocratic Oath rather than try to find ways to make as much money off of his patients as possible . Even though he came back to 'practise', hmm that about sums it up he was only practising , as I've said before once I take out the trash I don't bring it back in .

flag | Submitted January 2, 2015