Ratings for Dr. John Rudan

I had Dr. Rudan do duel knee replacement with extremely poor results. Having waited several months for a meeting with this doctor I still had over a 3 hours wait in the waiting room and another 45 min. in the examination room for the first meeting and He walked in as if he was right on time. After waiting an additional 2 months from this first meeting and not hearing anything I tried to change my choice of surgeons and was told that if I was to do that I would have to start the whole process over again starting with my family doctor, so I stayed with him. This was a mistake on my part. After putting in a formal complete with the hospital I was asked to call his office directly. When I did call his office his receptionist said she was just about to call me and then put me on hold for over 25 min. while she looked up my file. (if she was just about to call me my file should have been on her desk and I should not have been put on hold) Did not see him again till 6 weeks after the surgery. Have had 3 follow-up examinations but only 1 with him all the rest were with his team members and although I complained about knee pain and difficulty in walking and stairs each time, I was always told I just needed to do more exercises and strengthen my leg mussels. (FYI – my leg mussels are in better shape now than they have been in my whole life 64 years) My knees are now worse and more painful than before the surgery.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2016

Dr Rudan did a knee replacement for me; very poor results. Quality of life is much worse now. In constant pain and have diminished mobility. His response? My pain is all in my head! My final visit I waited 5 hrs in the waiting room followed by 45min in the exam rm. I asked him for a referral for a 2nd opinion. He refused. I left, insulted; his intern chased me and apologized for him. Got a 2nd opinion elsewhere. My knee is rotated 38 deg to the R and tilts forward making contact with my shin. And they cracked my hip during the surgery. I've had 2 years of hell and am much worse off. Now the other knee needs done. I think Dr Rudan used to be half decent but should now just stick to his administrative responsibilities and give up surgery; depends too much on his interns. Finally found another doctor who is compassionate caring and who reassured me that the pain is real and comes from my knee, not my head. I regret having my knee done by Dr Rudan. Now I'm dealing with hip AND knee pain

flag | Submitted July 13, 2014

After a TKR I have had many complications and issues that other doctors have put down to unfortunate circumstances Dr Rudan Has put on me. I regret having my knee replaced but once it is done, it's done. It can't have anything to do with the surgeon as far as Dr Rudan is concerned.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2013

He's the best surgeon in Kingston, and most likely in Ontario. If you want to feel completely comfortable that you're getting the absolute best result concerning hip care, he should be your choice. Dr. Rudan has performed 2 hip replacements and 2 revisions on each of my hips, and I have never had a problem. (I have had these surgeries from a young age, not because of any fault of Dr. Rudan's.)

flag | Submitted September 9, 2013

Thank you Dr Rudan for finding me help for my osteochrandal defect..he helped me when no one else would. Great doctor!!

flag | Submitted April 19, 2013

Hi There! I have been a patient of Dr. Rudan's for almost 20 years! I was diagnosed with ewing sarcoma (bone cancer) in my left humerus. Dr Rudan replaced my humerus with a metal prothesis. This man has been there for me when I have needed him. And I can also tell you I have emailed him with any concern I have had and he always emailed me back within an hour or so. Also, got me in to see him the next day. I was in KGH for a different issue once, he must have saw my name in a morning briefing or something and made sure he came to see me that very morning. I speak very highly of him and always will! I do miss the visits however over time I am sure to visit him again someday!

flag | Submitted June 14, 2012

At Kingston Gen Hospital. Usually long wait...once everyone had left the wait was so long. In patient care is through day curgery and is BAD.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2011

I was referred to this orthopaedic surgeon by another orthopaedic surgeon. He has been great... has performed 4 different surgeries on me and I have absolutely no complaints. He is knowledgable, understanding, extremely busy but you don't have a sense of being rushed when you see him. An excellent doctor... a bit frustrating dealing with his office staff but otherwise great.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2011

There is not a better surgeon in canada, for that matter , the world. professional and concise. The man is a credit to all those who suffer

flag | Submitted November 13, 2010

Poor to non-existent bedside manner. Unwilling to acknowledge possibility of responsibility for complications.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2010