Ratings for Dr. Lisa K. Nelsen

Dr. Lisa Nelsen failed to correctly diagnose my diseases and conditions that were in her area of expertise. Dr. Nelsen did not listen. She did pelvic exams, blood tests, and ultrasound test, then jumped to wrong, misguided conclusions without doing proper diagnostic procedures. She failed to consider that I was suffering from multiple diseases in multiple organs. She did not do medically-thoughtful root cause diagnoses even though I had the classic signs, symptoms of Endometriosis in multiple locations in pelvis, abdomen, ureter, uterosacral ligament and severe Adenomyosis, uterine polyps, degenerating fibroid tumors, ovarian disease, and fallopian tube cysts. I was unaware that she was failing to follow American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists standards and guidelines. ACOG medical standards state that gynecologists need to take the next diagnostic step to explore and determine the causes of a patient’s chronic pelvic pain and abnormal bleeding that has lasted over six months. This next step is an exploratory, operative laparoscopy and/or hysteroscopy. I had worsening, cyclical, severe pain and symptoms every month in my uterus, ovaries, pelvis, and abdomen for many years. It became critical during the years I was Dr. Nelsen’s patient that I get accurate diagnoses and treatment. She did not tell me about or perform a diagnostic and operative laparoscopy and hysteroscopy, did not conduct a differential diagnosis, and failed to refer me to a pelvic pain, Endometriosis expert who had advanced knowledge and state-of-the-art laparoscopic surgery skills. A referral to a true, knowledgeable gynecologic oncological surgeon is exactly what I needed at that time. Unbeknownst to me, behind my back, she decided that the undiagnosed, disabling gynecological diseases and conditions I suffered from where, as she wrote in my medical records “most likely an underlying depression that is exacerbated during premenstrual period,” “examination was fairly unremarkable today despite her multiple complaints,” and “the patient was reassured regarding the improbability of having Endometriosis.” These non-evidence based, unscientific, wrong “diagnoses” were statements that became the medical kiss of death in my records and prevented me from being taken seriously by other gynecologists and primary care doctors before it was too late because the medical community turns its back on, abandons, and ridicules ill women who have been wrongly labeled “merely depressed.” Dr. Nelsen was not transparent, forthright, and did not have the courage to openly discuss her “opinions” to my face. In the 21st century, organ disease must not be ignored as “depression” just because that organ is located inside a woman. Dr. Nelsen’s failures set me up for what turned out to be a truly horrifying medical experience which resulted in permanent damage to my health, life, and ability to earn a living to support myself. I recommend that women get copies of their records to learn the true facts of their medical care. If you find that timely and appropriate gynecological care that meets ACOG standards is not being done, quickly seek and travel to a gynecologic expert or gynecologic oncological surgeon located at a top medical center. Do not rely on local, suburban, Ob/Gyns who dismiss diseases, pain, and symptoms as psychological. At my last visit Dr. Nelsen told me all was normal. I told her that something was very wrong and that I thought I had the pain and symptoms of Endometriosis. She immediately became visibly perturbed and offended and said in an arrogant tone of voice “I am the doctor here” as though she thought it was all about her, not my multiple organ disease. I never returned once she exposed her attitude that she was right, must not be questioned. She chose not to follow the clear medical facts, findings, signs, pain, and symptom pattern forward where they would have led to timely, correct diagnoses so I could get definitive relief. I was an educated technical professional, an excellent and diplomatic communicator, athlete, self-supporting financially, loved my work, and had an active great life EXCEPT for the days/weeks every month that I was disabled by Endometriosis and Adenomyosis which caused continual vomiting, migraine, vertigo, severe pain, severe cramping, diarrhea, and heavy, uncontrollable bleeding. Unbeknownst to me doctors ignore these pains and symptoms women report and focus on “psychosocial” life factors not actual medical factual data. Gynecologists and primary care doctors who knew nothing about my life only looked at me as single, childless, and jumped to the false assumption that I was merely depressed and could not “handle menstruation.” Dr. Nelsen had no sense of diagnostic urgency, failed to inform me, thus took from me the ability to make the best, fastest medical decisions at a crucial time in my disease progression. Her records were not a complete, true representation of what was discussed during visits.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2018

I love Dr Nelsen! Pregnant with my 1st baby & I’ve trusted her since the moment I met her. Staff is outstanding & helpful. I’m so grateful I found her. Can’t say enough good things about her. Listens to concerns, knowledgeable, explains things simply.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2018

Dr. Nelson is a caring, compassionate doctor who genuinely cares about her patients. Sometimes need to wait to see her but she always takes the needed time to make sure all my questions are answered so I don’t mind waiting while she does the same for other patients. Her staff are all very friendly and helpful, especially when non-routine issues come up that may be stressful. They have created a warm environment in their office and it does not make me feel like just another number in the big medical machine. Hard to find that with all the changes in health care these days!

flag | Submitted December 14, 2017

I made an appointment with Dr. Nelsen about 5 weeks ago. I called the office the day of my appointment (09:30 01/12/17) to update my insurance coverage and was advised that I wasn't even on the schedule. The receptionist kept calling me "hun" and spoke in a very condescending manner to the point of being outright rude. She made no effort to correct their mistake or to get me on the schedule. I view the front office as a representation of the doctor and strongly recommend that you avoid. I would rate lower if it would be possible. The doctor needs to replace the front office staff if she wants new patients.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

Bad service overall !!! Long waiting; staff not professional and rude. Unpleasant experience for me.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2014

Dr. Nelson is caring, kind, and knowledgeable. She always does her best to make her patients feel comfortable and well-informed. Her staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Her small office feels like a caring home, not a mega complex, impersonal box like so many of the medical offices are these days. I feel blessed to have Dr. Nelson for a doctor.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2014

Couldn't have picked a better doctor! I def. lucked out with her! This Is my first pregnancy and shes been so wonderful. Her staff is always so friendly and helpful with any question I may have. They don't rush you, and make you feel like everything you ask is important. I would recommend Dr. Lisa Nelsen to everyone! You couldn't pick a better doctor!

flag | Submitted December 22, 2013

I have seen Dr. Nelsen twice and she was punctual, friendly, helpful, and encouraging both times. Her staff is beyond friendly and helpful. It does take a long time to get an annual appointment, so plan ahead.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2013

From the blood tests in the ER (bleeding early on)I found out I am Kell+ & it could harm the baby. Nelsen wanted to keep a close eye on me. Nelsen went on vacation for 3 weeks right when my kell check was due. I called for results & was told my results went to the Dr. they would call me back. I called 6 diff times getting the same answer. I called the on call Dr.t & got the results.I get a call start making payments for delivery. I told Patricia I had secondary ins & was informed they wont take it. I told her in 2011 they did. She said they never did (didn't work there in 2011) I told her I would have to look at how to pay+ hospital. wanting to talk to Dr. about what my options were & have a back up to see another Dr. that did take Medi-cal. I has due to see Dr. next Fri.I get a call from Patricia, she canceled my apt with Nelsen because I made an apt with another Dr. I told her I still want my apt with the Dr. she said not how it works. You are no longer a patient & left me with no Dr

flag | Submitted August 9, 2013

Excellent doctor all the way around! I have been going to her for 12 years even though I am not having any more children she still looks after all my needs as a woman doctor.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2012

Dr. Lisa K. Nelsen's Credentials

• Univ Of Ca, San Francisco, Sch Of Med, San Francisco Ca 94143 (Grad. 1999)