Ratings for Dr. Mikhail A. Fuks

I have been a patient of Dr. Fuks for more than 10 years now. When I met him initially I could partially relate to some of the comments made by some of the folks on this site who are less pleased with his mannerisms. However, I grew up in a highly medical family (grandfather, father and 4 uncles and aunts). Each of them had their own bespoke personality. As I gort to know a little more about Dr. FUks I was quite surprised to learn that, yes, he is RUssian, but he has also been a very eminent professor of surgery/medicine at Moscow University and a PhD in Sciences. Given the temperament common to surgeons necessary for them to have the nerve to undertake what they do and his boisterous Russian culture his temperament becomes rather easy to understand. Blunt and direct is to be expected. He is the Russian equivalent of a no nonsense Harvard Heart Surgeon and a Military officer. Culturally they do not believe they are helping you if they molly-coddle you. WE in America are used to a different model. The customer service model where being made 'feel good' is part of the 'customer service' experience. Neither approach is actually wrong. They are just different and Dr. Fuks is an incurable Russian in all the best ways. If you understand this you can grow to like him very easily. He has a very dry sense of humor and once understood is really quite funny. He IS direct and can be a little intimidating at time but he gets results. He knows that results are all that actually works. I am too laid back to take gentle advice very seriously and he has enough human insight to see this so he jostles me a little. As a result I have successfully dodged bullets early on high cholesterol, potential liver tumors, drinking issues before serious liver damage, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, overweight and a host of other issues that could have led to life threatening conditions and am now a MUCH healthier person because of it. If I had a milder doc than my friend Dr Fuks I'd be in trouble now. I think he really does care about his patients more than they realize but he does it his way. Like the big caring bear he is. I owe my health and life to that man and am eternally thankful to him. I have one of Russia's most eminent doctors looking after my daily health issues. I am lucky indeed. My elderly father was a professor of Radiology at the University of Toronto and an eminent man in his own right and when I describe my care with Dr. Fuks he tells me that it sounds to him that I am in very good hands with him.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

I too have encountered Dr. Fuks to be rude and rushed. His receptionist makes it seem like a chore to do anything. I called back a few days after receiving my blood work review with a couple of questions. I started off by saying "Is now a good time to talk? If not, let me know when is and I'll call back when it's convenient for you." I was told that now was good time and when the Dr. got on the phone he was so rushed and curt with his answers that I definitely didn't feel like he even gave them any thought. I can't judge the man on his knowledge because he hasn't done anything for me or explained anything. I was given a physical and had blood work done and when I asked him if I could come in again to discuss something else he basically chastised me and said that I hadn't mentioned it before. I'll be leaving his care as soon as my new insurance goes into effect.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2016

DR GULAG I have never encountered a more miserable Doctor's bedside manner than Dr. Fuks. Without going into detail, I felt like Russian Livestock when he examined me. But this is not where the story ends. My new Doctor sent a fax request for my medical history to be sent to him from Dr. Fuks receptionist. When I called to confirm the transference of records, Dr. Fuks receptionist only sent my blood work and EKG from one examine done by Dr. Fuks to my new doctor stating that it was too much time and effort to fax my entire medical record because I only had one appointment with Dr. Fuks which did not merit consideration. I did not believe what I was hearing over the phone with this thick accented woman's defiance. I showed up at their office demanding my medical records as is my RIGHT IN THIS COUNTRY. This Russian woman finally gave over my records reluctantly while muttering under her breath that if it was up to her, I would be charged for the paper and effort involved for her time in giving me my records. I went into my bag and dropped a package of Staples recycled printing paper on her desk, and said, you should be ashamed of yourself and walked out of the office. Patients beware.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

Dr. Fuks is a competent and knowledgeable doctor who really cares about his patients.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2015

Dr. Fuks is a non nonsense doctor that is knowledgeable and has current treatments but yet old school values. He and his staff always are unrushed. I just left from my physical and I can truly say he knows me and not just my file. Don't look for fad treatments here just a real doctor taking care of real issues.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2014

Dr.Fuks has been my primary care physician for many years. He is very knowledgeable and caring doctor. He was always available for me in emergencies and otherwise. I'm looking forward to many more years in his care.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2012

I have been seeing Dr. Fuks for 5 years now and have no intention of ever switching. His bedside manner might not be the best, but his approach to diagnosis is unparalled. He is one of the few doctors who refuses to medicate someone unless it is absolutely necessary. He doesn't treat symptomsm but rather tries to cure the root of the illness/disease/pain. If you want sugar coated advice and hand holding, this is not the docotr for you. Dr. Fuks is honest with his patients because he cares for their well being. He wants his patients to be responsibly for their own health and that starts with hearing the ugly truth, even when it hurts.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2012

He's very knowledgeable and generally an excellent doctor but he is very conservative in his practice preferring to use older drugs and healing methods that may no longer be as effective as newer ones. If you ask him for birth control, he'll just tell you not to have sex... I mean come on

flag | Submitted August 23, 2010

Dr. Fuks is a remarkable diagnostician. He is concise and clear. The man knows medicine! He doesn't have the best bedside manner, but who cares? If you want to be cured, go see him.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. Mikhail A. Fuks's Credentials

• Russian

• First Moscow Sechenov Med Inst, Moscow, Russia (Grad. 1970)

GHI