Ratings for Dr. Himanshu J. Patel

1-20-2011 Dr. Patel performed emergency surgery that saved my life. I have an Aortic stent and a rebuilt Aorta arch. Dr. Patel and his entire staff kept me informed of my steps to healing. Also they were nice to my entire family. When he explained how serious the surgery was I felt I could trust him 100% and I was calmer because of it.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2013

Dr. Patel did surgery on my husband 5 months ago. He had a aortic valve replacement and an acsending anyeurism. My husband is as good as can be and I thank God for doctors like Dr. Patel. I would and have recommend him to anyone who needs heart surgery.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2009

Dr. Patel took over my regular surgeon's caseload while my surgeon was absent. I was flown to Ann Arbor from my hometown after it was discovered that I had a dissection and aneurism of my aortic arch. This was my third dissection since 1999. Several staff assured me that Dr. Patel was very good and that eased my anxiety. I found out that he was very knowledgeable about my genetic disorder and I found him to be very pleasant and approachable. He answered my questions in detail about my pending surgery and was very honest about the difficulty of the surgery. In my first surgery in 1999 I had some painful experiences in pre-op (installing ports in neck and wrist arteries). I explained my experience with Dr. Patel and he saw to it that those procedures were performed after I was sedated. Although the surgery was a success, I did have some complications (one being my kidneys), and Dr. Patel followed through with me on those issues. I have so far been very satisfied w/ Dr. Patel.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2007

Dr. Patel was very thorough. About two months ago, Dr. Patel performed aortic valve replacement surgery on my mother, and I must say that our entire family was pleased with the results. Although my mother wasn't happy to go back to work, Patel's excellent performance led to a speedy recovery. Although Dr. Patel needs to learn to smile a little more, he was very professional. My only major complaint is that it took too long before my mother's surgery was performed; almost four months of testing and breaks before surgery was scheduled to fix her "critical" heart valve condition. However, I'm not sure if the long wait was more of a problem with Dr. Patel or U of M hospital. Fortunately, the entire U of M staff was courteous and professional.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2007

Dr. Patel performed a heart cath on my father on 3/31/06. Soon after the procedure the nurse came in and said that Dr Patel had an emergancy surgery and that he would be in contact with us. She said that my father had one complete blockage and two partial blockage. Too much blockage for stints. The nurse expressed that it was a "big 'ol mess in there." We did not hear from Dr patel until 3 weeks later WE decided to contact him. Dr patel scheduled a trpile bypass for a month and a half down the road. The Thursday before the surgery Dr Patel called and wanted us to change the date to a later surgery date. We declained and expressed that my father was having more and more pain in his arms everyday. On Sunday, three days before the scheduled bypass my father passed away. There is no excuse for Dr Patel's reaction to my father's condition. It is NOT ok to make mistakes when you are a heart surgeon!!!

flag | Submitted November 28, 2006

Dr. Himanshu J. Patel's Credentials

• Hindi

• Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)