Ratings for Dr. Miguel Pereira

I have been going to Dr. Pereira for 10 years. When I started going to him he was fantastic. There were times when he called me at home after an appointment or blood work to make sure I understood everything and was okay. When I go to him now he has way too many patients. He hardly remembers who I am. I only go once or twice a year, but everytime he has to read my chart and he totally forgets things that I've had in the past couple of years. I always have to remind him about things. I don't mind waiting an hour to see him if I feel like he cares about me, but when you wait an hour and go in and he barely recognizes you that becomes a problem. I've talked to others who go to him as well and they echo the same sentiment. One person went to him on Thursday for prescriptions and then had to go back Tuesday for a minor procedure and he completely forgot she'd been in the week before, he wanted to know if she needed her prescriptions filled. I don't feel he is very thorough. If you go in for a pap you get one, but unless you request other things he doesn't offer. This is probably because he has way too many patients. My old doctor when you went for a pap he always did a full physical, breast exam, and blood work. In the last 5 years, the only times he's checked my blood pressure is when I asked because I thought it was odd he never checks and I have a family history of high blood pressure. Anyways I still really like Dr. Pereira I just hope that he doesn't take any more patients and hopefully over time he'll get a workload he can manage better.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2015

flag | Submitted September 20, 2015

Always an efficient and effective use of our time when we have an appointment. Listens, checks, suggests, confirms - goes out of his way to get us to the right specialist when such is needed. We trust his knowledge and application of same. We always feel as though he cares about our good health.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2015

Fast appointments. Exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable. Always pleasant.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2015

Absolutely an excellent Dr. Be prepatedto wait as he never rushes away from his patients. He has great contacts and and will tefer you to the finest specialists. He's a tremendous Dr.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2015

Best doctor I have ever had. He is kind, caring and thorough doing what it takes to find the cause of your health issue. I have lived in several cities in BC and have never had better care anywhere than with Dr. Pereira. My whole family, including my parents who are in their 90's, feel very fortunate to have such a reliable family practitioner. While you might have to sit in the waiting room for a while, we have never felt rushed or given the feeling he wanted to move on to the next patient. Excellent doctor!

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

I have been going to Dr. Pereira for several years and have seen a steady decline in the quality of his care. He seems to be more interested in taking the notes onto the computer than looking at you and assessing your concerns. Perhaps a more "hands on approach" like before would serve us all better. Also, if he tries a person on a certain medication and it causes side-effects, he gets frustrated with you and appears very disgusted! I think he should look at things from the patient's prospective more often and be more understanding. His MOA can be very snippy at times and needs a lesson in communication and compassion. The former MOA was Elaine and she was wonderful!! We sure miss her!! Perhaps Dr. Pereira is overworked but he needs to do more time doing assessments and less on the computer !!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2015

Honestly the best doctor ever. So unbelievably caring, has gotten to know our entire family of 3 generations and remembers them. Follows through, follows up, saves lives and always refers us to specialists when needed, never makes us feel foolish for coming in. I didn't know we could have care like this in our society in this generation. Bless you Dr. P!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

I have been with Dr. Pereria since he first moved to Nanaimo (about 15 years) and he has always been compassionate, he truly listens, he will send for tests or specialists. His manner is very gentle and kind. Susan is amazing and she always helps me get in to see him very quickly if it's urgent. I never feel like he can't wait for me to leave, although he is in a hurry as Dr's always are. Having to wait an hour to see him, doesn't bother me anymore. Because when I really need his time, and it takes longer than a quick visit, he gives me his full attention, so I feel if he can give me that extra time, then he is also giving it to his other patients, so I'm happy for them too. I always say...bring a book...relax a bit! lol...It does bother me with doctors that you actually have to ask to have a physical or have this test or medications, but all the doctors on the island are the same it seems. They are swamped, I really think this is the issue. I love Dr. P and highly recommend him. I feel so blessed beyond words for his care all of these years.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2014

We've been with Dr Pereira for 7 or so years but have noticed a steady decline in his service. The wait times are typically an hour and when you do finally get him he's rushed. In 7 years he's never even once suggested I should have a physical and when I asked him for a prostate test at 40, he sent me away for a blood count. I think he's more interested in filling his apt book that he is helping people. I think his new sign stating 'we cannot estimate how long your wait will be' sums it up nicely.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

Dr. Miguel Pereira's Credentials

Updates

• A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "I have been going to Dr. Pereira for 10 years. When I started going to him he was fantastic. There were times when he called me at home after an appointment o..."

September 26, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "e else. He is right to the point and if he doesn't know, he will refer to a specialist. He has been my Doctor for 11 years and would never think about Anton "

September 20, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Always an efficient and effective use of our time when we have an appointment. Listens, checks, suggests, confirms - goes out of his way to get us to the righ..."

September 4, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Fast appointments. Exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable. Always pleasant."

August 22, 2015
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Absolutely an excellent Dr. Be prepatedto wait as he never rushes away from his patients. He has great contacts and and will tefer you to the finest specialists..."

June 10, 2015
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Best doctor I have ever had. He is kind, caring and thorough doing what it takes to find the cause of your health issue. I have lived in several cities in BC ..."

April 10, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "I have been going to Dr. Pereira for several years and have seen a steady decline in the quality of his care. He seems to be more interested in taking the note..."

January 30, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Honestly the best doctor ever. So unbelievably caring, has gotten to know our entire family of 3 generations and remembers them. Follows through, follows up,..."

January 27, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I have been with Dr. Pereria since he first moved to Nanaimo (about 15 years) and he has always been compassionate, he truly listens, he will send for tests or..."

November 7, 2014