Ratings for Dr. Riffat S. Ashai

After seeing a therapist for a couple of years, I decided I needed to try medication again. My new PCP is very conservative and didn't even like writing a refill on medication my prior psychiatrist gave me (he had since retired.) I printed a list of doctors who were accepting new patients, and after my therapist said no to several of them closer to me, he chose Dr. Ashai and said he's heard very good things about her. I've been seeing her for about 6 months now. The first medication she gave me worked well, but I could have felt a little bit better. When I went back in a month she increased the dosage, but put me on a different formula of that medication, and I felt even worse than when I went in. The following month she explained what she had done and why, and put me back on the first one at a different dosage. I am noticeably better, and we are still tweaking it a little. I am well aware that medications are not an exact science, and different people respond differently, so I have no problem with the changes. As far as punctuality, I was there before the office opened for my 2nd appointment, and the door did not open right on time. The doctor had not yet arrived, but wasn't too far behind. I seem to recall it was a rainy morning, and traffic was worse than usual. I do appreciate it when they take a little extra time with someone, and I know those minutes can snowball, but this has not been an issue for me. My biggest problem is how far she is from my home and my office, but I'd rather drive to see someone good than see someone else who is closer.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2014

Dr. Ashai is fine, really seems like a nice person and knowledgeable. Her office staff however trumps this. They don't answer the phone and when they do one in particular has a horrible attitude, curt and rude. We are trying to get a prescription refill before my son runs out and it's been days with no word from them. We've called and left messages and even stopped by the office to be rudely treated. We've followed all of the instructions and no word from them and the pharmacy is still waiting on the script. Our son is about to run out of meds and we have no idea if they will refill it or not. Horrible service, especially considering that they are dealing with children with mental health needs. If my son suddenly stops taking his meds, medical problems can occur and they don't seem to give a care. We will go with this one more appt in order to get the last batch of meds, but then seeking another psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2013

She is cold ...somewhat knowledgable on medications. Not sure if she is a ADD/ADHD specialist... She is always late...always. 60 minutes is common. They will quickly charge you a late fee for a missed appointment though. In my opinion just another prescription writing DR... i was on a medication and had a bad reaction couldn't even get around to calling for the follow up Appointment, and of course no follow up from her office... you could be given a medication, have a bad reaction miss your follow up appointment, and all they will be worried about is your late fee. Not if you died from the med.... This is the problem with the mental health field!

flag | Submitted June 28, 2013

Dr. Ashai misdiagnosed my son, and refused to change the prescription when he responded poorly. She told me that he was acting the way he was because he "chose" to act that way. She would not offer any medication changes. She was very "cold". She didn't seem to care about my son as a person.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2013

I STARTED SEEING DR. ASHAI A FEW MONTHS AGO. SHE SEEMS KNOWLEDGABLE, BUT ALMOST ALWAYS RUN LATE FOR MY APPOINTMENTS. AS FOR THE STAFF, THEY SEEM HELPFUL AND FRIENDLY. MY LAST COUPLE OF APPOINTMENTS, I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE IN THE LOBBY SCREAM AT THEM OR SAY NASTY THINGS TO THEM. THE YOUNG LADY DID NOT RAISE HER VOICE OR ANYTHING. SHE JUST TRIED TO HELP THE PERSON UNDERSTAND WHAT SHE WAS SAYING. I GUESS IT COULD BE DIFFICULT DDEALING WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S MENTAL ISSUES ON A DAILY BAISIS-AND I THINK THE YOUNG LADIES DO A REALLY GOOD JOB, DESPITE SOME RUDE PATIENTS. THEY APOLOGIZE FOR DR. ASHAI'S LATENESS AND TRY TO GET YOU IN WITH HER WHEN THEY CAN. DR. ASHAI CAN BE A LITTLE 'STAND OFFISH", BUT I THINK THAT IS JUST HER PROFESSIONALISM. SHE IS VERY COMFORTABLE TO TALK TO. GIVE HER A CHANCE. I WAS NOT DISAPPOITED IN THE OFFICE AND WILL CONTINUE TO SEE HER UNITL I AM WELL.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2012

I have seen this doctor several years, not once have I ever been seen on time or near on time you can generally expect an hour late, I learned that this so because first thing in the morning she is half an hour late. She insisted I was bipolar when i'm not and had a bipolar reaction to the meds she gave me. She insisted that if her schedule did not meet my needs I should see another physician, I informed her that her schedule was fine however because she is never on time I have to take the day off work, which I can't do. Also she wrote me a three month prescription for a controlled substance, I sent it off to a mail order, they faxed her she never faxed them back to confirm. The prescription expired and I was out of my needed medication for 3 months! When I asked her to rewrite it she said I needed to schedule an appointment. Staff is pretty rude in general.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2012

Dr Ashai is ok but her office associates are rude, condescending and entirely unhelpful. If you want to be treated like a cook...this is the place! Dr Ashai either approves or puts up with the horrible staff so that makes me think less of her.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2011

Dr. Ashai is great at simplifying things and putting them into perspective. If patients are kept waiting, it is because she is taking her time and focusing on the individual while they are in her office, rather than rushing through a long list of patients. If you believe you have a mental health condition that is serious enough to require medication, then allowing her to take her time evaluating you is probably worthwhile. Also, her "cold" personality is merely a professional attitude, and is trivial to mention while you're evaluating her as a doctor. Her on-point treatment of her patients should speak for itself.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2011

I have been seeing Dr. Ashai for close to 15 years. She also sees my son and my husband. Dr. Ashai has been wonderful. She does her best to weigh the information you give her and her observation of you to make an appropriate diagnosis. I have found her recommendations appropriate, many of which I haven't followed to my own detriment. I trust her with my family. There is no higher praise I can give her.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2010

Dr. Ashua is fine doctor, She has helped me since 2001 and I still see her every 3 months. I had a couple of friends that are Bi-polar and there current doctor was not much help. I refered them to Dr. Ashai. Every time I see my friends they thank me for my referal and that thier quality of life is fantastic.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2010

Dr. Riffat S. Ashai's Credentials

• Fatima Jinnah Med Coll For Women, Univ Of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan (Grad. 1980)