You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Edward J. Smith

Up to date,I can get appointment very fast example bladder infection and I understand if I have several non urgent problems he asks me to make another visit otherwise he would always be one hour late like most other places,some people don't seem to understand that.i moved to another city for few yrs and service was much much worse ,if people not happy they can see if it's better in another clinic

flag | Submitted March 21, 2016

He's been my Family Doctor for over 30 years, so I cant really compare with any other family Doctor. After reading all of the comments, I tend to agree he's there for the $$, it true he charges an extra 90$ a year.. mention that it's because Quebec Gov that do not provide him enough for the services!? true false ? ~ been paying him that for the pass 10 years or so.. Even IF I only see him for my yearly checkup.. Also changes for acupuncture, and will try to push it on you IF you mention you have muscle pain etc.. he also gives Botox now ~ and that's expensive.. the first year he started it.. he con me in saying I need it , so I tried it.. it was OK ( litle difference noticed, but not worth the hundreds of $$ paid for it.. and needs to be repeated every 6 / 9 months. What's difficult sometimes is communicating with him, seems he's always Right with whatever advice he gives, and does not really consider our opinion etc.. what can you do or say IF you don't agree with him and/or her secretary.. you will make it on his bad list and that's not something you want.. So.. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. since Family doctor are hard to come by... and I agree that her admin is snarky lies and would never admit her mistakes. When I needed Ortho-massages he recommended me his Daughter! ( I knew of this only after several Visits (although.. she was good). he does also charge more for some Vaccines and you need to shop around for that ( i.e. if you travel to Asia etc.. you need special vaccines). All in all he's OK, keep in mind It's the only Family doc I ever had. If compared to other physician I saw in the pass re. clinic ~ hospitals.. He's above average.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2016

I was one of his first patients when he had just graduated and opened up an office on McArthur with a partner. That was back in 84. Don't b fooled by the Pain Specialist line. It's very one dimensional. Mostly money making prolotherapy. He has changed drastically over past 5 years. He started charging a non optional 90$ a year for admin fees. No option. Did not include any mates etc. the OntarioCollege of Physicians informed me that this was illegal. He stopped doing it this year. Perhaps a simple class action suit could get our money back. Anyways, on opiods past 12 yrs. our falling out came when he withheld my CPP report because he wanted 250$ instead of the customary 85$. He withheld the report to the point they were telling me they would stop my benefits payment. I told him I didn't appreciate that and he told me that "he was fucking fed up with me". That's the last words we spoke. He told my wife that if I came back he would not prescribe any pain relief. So, I switched to Appletree. Since then the treatments and medical pot they have given me have reduced my opiods by about 80% -90%. This dr E Smith has become greedy and hates the govt. he feels he should b making millions like his U.S. doctor friends. Hi admin is snarky, lies and never admits a mistake. Appts r hard to get as he does more and more of those cash appts. It's all about the money but I'm getting my 3 yrs of fees back from him.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2015

This guy is BY FAR the rudest and most arrogant doctor I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. He might know his stuff in terms of physical health, but he has a complete and utter disregard for the mental health of patients. I am not joking when I say he deserves a complaint to the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons. I wonder why he became a physician if he has such a contempt for people. His admin is nothing to brag about either.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2015

I can get appointment fast,he tries to respect people's time and doesn't make you wait hours in waiting maybe that's why when i phone receptionist tells me it will be for specific problem and not multiple problems,yearly check up I have long appointment and takes time to answer my questions. If he doesn't treat specific conditions eg/ following pregnancies he will refer early. He's up to date with medical knowledge and still teaching doctors. from reading comments I agree with some of you but health care is getting worse and doctors nurses etc can't please everyone and sometimes patients may have unrealistic expectations of our doctors who are trying there best in health care system that keeps getting worse

flag | Submitted December 4, 2011

I called this doctor early September 2011 explaining I am a fibromyalgia patient and wanted access to trigger point injection therapies. I was told they do see these patients but would need a referral. My family doctor sent the referral on Sep. 16th with a fax confirmation. I spoke to Dr. Smith's office today, Dec. 1st and was told that they never received the referral. The receptionist was quite pissy with me through the entire conversation. The last thing I said to her was "thanks for being so pleasant". My doctor received a note from them not 30 minutes later saying they DON'T treat fibromyalgia patients. What a joke this place. It's hard to believe that a health care professional, and I use that term lightly, could treat a chronically ill patient like this. Stay away from this guy!

flag | Submitted December 1, 2011

Excellent doctor - the best! Support staff are very friendly and helpful.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2011

He has forgotten why he became a doctor and that is to help patients physically and emotionally;obviously he's forgotten on how to do both; as long as he gets your money, sure he'll see you; I've been going to him for 20 years and there has been a change in him and for the worse; he's become greedy; by the way a doctor cannot dismiss you for just sending in a letter of complaint about his secretary. She was to set up an appointment with a specialist for me and I haven't heard a thing to this day...it's been 2 yrs! With the lack of doctors, he puts this over our heads, "pay up or be without a doctor" - where's the caring there! If you have a choice between him or another doctor, see the other doctor unless you are rich!

flag | Submitted August 19, 2011

From what I heard he is a great doctor. But I have to agree with what people are saying. Horrible bed side manner. But he got me fixed up. So I don't care

flag | Submitted April 14, 2011

Horrible bedside manners. Doesn't like to answer valid questions and when he does, he makes a point of trying to make you look stupid. He is very condescending and I would NEVER recommend this doctor to anyone. As well, his receptionist is in a perpetual bad mood. Mind you, I would be too if I worked with this doctor.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2011

Dr. Edward J. Smith's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Up to date,I can get appointment very fast example bladder infection and I understand if I have several non urgent problems he asks me to make another visit oth..."

March 21, 2016
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "He's been my Family Doctor for over 30 years, so I cant really compare with any other family Doctor. After reading all of the comments, I tend to agree he's the..."

January 14, 2016
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "I was one of his first patients when he had just graduated and opened up an office on McArthur with a partner. That was back in 84. Don't b fooled by the Pain..."

October 9, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "This guy is BY FAR the rudest and most arrogant doctor I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. He might know his stuff in terms of physical health, but..."

September 29, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "After my first appointment with him, I thought he was nice. However, I booked another appointment with him before starting treatment to discuss my test results...."

September 24, 2015