Ratings for Dr. Cameron N. Carmody

I don't know what I did or how I did it, but I went from having a crick in my neck to "living" on Hydrocodone and Oxycontin in about 3 weeks. Nothing takes away nerve pain, the drugs only took the edge off the pain. A co-worker recommended Dr. Carmody and I am so glad I went and saw him. C4-C5 disk was pushing on the nerves on the left side of my neck and C5-C6 was not far behind. Dr. Carmody recommended surgery on both disks. I asked about shaving the bulges off the disks and he said I could have that procedure done but that I would be back in two years. I followed his advise and had the vertebral fixation and I am so glad I did. I woke up from the anesthetics with no pain in my neck. Two years after surgery and I am doing really well. Thank you Dr. Carmody!!

flag | Submitted November 9, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for providing feedback regarding Dr. Carmody and your experience. We are so happy to hear you are living pain free and are always here should you need us again.

Submitted February 12, 2016

When I went to Dr. Carmody, I had been suffering for 8 years with my lower back and was at my wits end. Dr. Carmody took me through the steps to finding what was best for me. That turned out to be surgery. In just days after the surgery I truly felt that he had given me my life back. In 3 months I was comfortably back on the golf course and living pain free. I just went to my 2 year follow up visit and I am so happy to say that my back is great and I am so thankful for the care I received from Dr. Carmody and his staff.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

Patient's update
Happy to hear you are living pain free and back to golfing and living the good life. We wish you continued good health.

Submitted February 12, 2016

I have never felt the need to rate a doctor before, but I felt like sharing my experience with Dr. Carmody. He removed a disk in my lower back less than 3 months ago. He replace it with an artificial one and added lots of hardware for stability. I am pain free today. I have not been pain free for years. I feel rejuvenated because I sleep at night and I am not living in constant pain. I never waited more than 10 minutes in the waiting room for my appointments. He and his staff were always courteous and friendly. Randy Farrer, his P.A. was always there to assist me in any way possible. I recommend them to anyone I hear complaining about back pain. They exceed all others in service and results. I had a previous back surgery about 28yrs ago and I did not receive the service or dedication I received at this office. He and is staff are awesome.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for the positive feedback as it's the biggest compliment in recommending us to family and friends. We are so happy you found us and are living a pain free life. Enjoy!

Submitted February 12, 2016

I'm so thankful a family friend recommended Dr. Carmody. I had been living with neck pain for well over a year which escalated to debilitating pain levels with shoulder, arm, hand and finger involvement over a month ago. No pain medication could touch the pain. I couldn't sleep, couldn't sit, couldn't stand. I was existing not living and was on the slow medicine boat scheduled for steroid shots that the pain management doctor didn't think would help me. Dr. Carmody took one look at my MRI and said let's fix this. A week later I had C6/7 disc removal and fusion. My C6/7 disc had blown and the hard outer portion of the disk was resting against and compressing route nerve C7. Pre-surgery my pain level was easily a 10 out of 10. I woke from surgery with pain in the 7 range which slowly calmed during the day to a 5 range. I went home from hospital the day after surgery. I'm now 15 days post op and the nerve pain continues to lessen and I'm regaining sensation in my arm/fingers/hand. My arm strength is almost back to normal. I stopped taking all pain medications 5 days after surgery. I was so terrified of spine surgery of my neck and now realize it was the best possible decision I could make. I've been in contact with others across the country through online forums who've had the exact surgery as mine and my recovery seems to be so much easier than many others. I attribute that to Dr. Carmody's skill and expertise. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone with spine problems who wants their life back.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for the recommendation to family and friends as that is the biggest compliment Dr. Carmody can receive from his patients. We are happy to hear you are doing well and the trust you put in Dr. Carmody allowed you to live a pain free life. Wishing you the best in the future as well.

Submitted February 12, 2016

I saw Dr. Carmody approximately 7 months ago for neck pain. We looked at my films together. He told me I would eventually need surgery. At that time, I elected not to have surgery. I asked him how soon I would need surgery. He said I would know when it was time. One morning I woke with pain radiation into my back and down one arm. I thought I had pulled something in my back or shoulder. Within 24 hours the pain was so excruciating that I went to the ER. They gave me a shot that helped me for about 4 hours. Oral medication did not help. I scared my husband when I curled up on the floor and cried. My life stopped. I could only sleep a couple of hours at a time. I saw Dr Carmody the next day. He and I agreed that it was time for surgery. Unfortunately, he was going out of town for a week. I survived by having a nerve block done by a pain specialist. The surgery a week later was a total success. No nerve pain! The only pain I had post surgery was surgical pain from 2 small incisions he made to do the cervical fusion. I asked for a copy of before and after xrays. I have shown them to everyone who would stand still. I showed them to my pain specialist. When he looked at the before xray, he said "oh no." Then he looked at the post surgical xray and said, "wow." I would recommend Dr. Carmody to anyone who wants the best in spine surgery. He did an amazing job and made my life wonderful again.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for the wonderful message you've passed along to all those looking for extraordinary care and we hope you continue to well.

Submitted February 12, 2016

I have had 3 appointments with Dr. Carmody over the past month, NONE of which he's kept: First Cancellation: Office visit in Frisco cancelled because of surgery. OK, it happens. Was convinced to setup an appointment in Plano, which is very inconvenient for me, because it wouldn't be cancelled. Second Cancellation: Office visit in Plano cancelled because of surgery. Twice in a row? This one was supposed to be a "sure thing!" I insisted on a Frisco appt that would NOT get cancelled. Third Cancellation: Office visit in Frisco cancelled because of surgery!!! This is not right! Why am I not as important as other patients? I've had THREE appointments trumped by others scheduling over me. How can I trust a doctor who can't even keep one out of three appointments? Is this his way of not accepting new patients without not accepting new patients? This shows a total lack of respect for the patient. I can understand an emergency coming up which needs to be taken care of immediately, such as I presumed the first cancellation was. I, too, work for a living. I have schedules to adhere to and appointments to keep. Having to constantly move meetings around for my work in a vain attempt at getting to see a doctor is not working out for me. Three strikes and you're out! I will be looking for another doctor, in another office, so that I may actually get taken care of. I was really looking forward to seeing Dr. Carmody. All reviews I've read of him indicate he's the best around. What good is it to me if I can't get in to see him???

flag | Submitted August 24, 2015

Patient's update
We are very sorry to hear of this experience as you can see from most comments it's certainly not typical nor appropriate. Not sure what the circumstances were or what happened but nonetheless you deserve exceptional care and we apologize as you clearly felt it wasn't received. Thank you for providing feedback and will be certain to pass it along to prevent this from happening in the future. We hope you find the care you seek.

Submitted February 12, 2016

Dr Carmody more than surpassed all the reviews that I read and had heard about him. There is a reason that he is the No. 1 spine surgeon in the area and one of the top 10 in the state. In my first meeting with him I learned very quickly that he is in the "people business" and not just performing surgeries. His statment to me, "you really could use surgery according to your MRI, but I don't treat MRIs I treat people and you just let me know when you are ready". A year later I returned for the surgery, barely able to walk and in no way could I stand up straight, and in severe pain. He took the time to share with me what needed to be done and I raised a few questions and concerns and he listened, and amended the original plan. Even on the day of the surgery he said that he had been studying my case and had planned going a different direction if possible. The procedure that he performed on me allowed me to awaken from surgery pain free for the first time in almost 2 years. No doubt that he is an outstanding surgeon, but I found him to be a physician that has great "bed side manner" in that he is very patient, a good listener, and very personal. Being a pastor I see all types of physicians and I can say that as a professional, surgeon and individual Dr Carmody is indeed the best.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you so much for responding and providing feedback. We are so happy you're experience was exceeded far beyond your expectations and hope you continue to do well.

Submitted July 27, 2015

I set up an appointment. I already had a scan but they would have had to be sent. I was asked if I could bring in my previous labs. I said 'I did not have them and they would have to be sent'. I assumed if I told them where I got the scan they could get the scan. She then asked if I wanted to cancel my appointment because I could not get the labs myself. I said yes because she gave tude.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

Patient's update
Sorry to hear of this, it's not how we typically would like our patients to feel. We hope you call and reschedule your appointment and give us another chance as Dr. Carmody is truly an amazing physician and surgeon.

Submitted July 27, 2015

Top surgeon in Dallas Fort Worth area. After he properly diagnosed and surgically repaired my lower back, it has felt better than it has in years. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for providing us with positive feedback, we are so happy you are doing well, hope you continue to enjoy life to it's fullest.

Submitted July 27, 2015

Very pleased with my outcome from spinal surgery. Dr. Carmody was extremely informative and professional every step of the way. Spondylolesthesis and spinal stenosis issues now corrected, and I am pain free!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

Patient's update
Extremely happy to hear you are pain free and that all procedures went as planned and exceeded your expectations. We hope you continue to do well.

Dr. Cameron N. Carmody's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

A native of Fresno, CA, Dr. Carmody graduated from the University of California Irvine and was awarded the Regent’s Scholarship at UC-Irvine Medical School and graduated in the top 5% of his class and was selected into the AOA Honor Society. After medical school he completed his fellowship training in spinal reconstruction surgery before starting clinical practice in 1996. Dr. Carmody is actively involved in clinical research and is a member of the Complex Spine Study Group, the Scoliosis Research Society, the North American Spine Society and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He is a primary investigator for the FDA study evaluating the safety and efficacy of the Kineflex/C Artificial Cervical Disc Replacement. Dr. Carmody is a thoughtful and caring physician who takes time with his patients to explain in plain terms their diagnosis and treatment options. He is well-versed on minimally invasive techniques and motion preservation technologies. He frequently recommends surgery only when the potential benefits well outweigh the risks. He sees complex spine referrals from all around the region and is well-respected for his diagnostic and surgical skills. Being worthy of his patients’ trust is of paramount importance to him. Dr. Carmody lives in Plano with his wife and two children. He enjoys fly fishing, playing guitar and singing.

• English

• Univ Of Ca, Irvine, Ca Coll Of Med, Irvine Ca 92717 (Grad. 1989)

• Best Doctor in Collin County D Magazine