Dr. Cameron N. Carmody

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Cameron N. Carmody

I went to see Dr Carmody in alot of pain. He recommended other options and ask to try some things to see if we could avoid surgery; however, my case needed surgery. He is an excellent surgeon; I will recommend him for everyone who asks. After the surgery, as I woke up , I realized that I was completely free of the pain. Here at 7 weeks post op, I am still pain free and doing very well..

flag | Submitted August 2, 2017

It's been a year since I met Dr. Cameron Carmody. I was barely able to stand, lie down or even walk for the pain in my back. With my husbands help, I got into the exam room and met with Dr Carmody. He was sympathetic and showed obvious concerns before even knowing all my complaints. After all tests, he explained what was happening and what was needed to relive my pain. Obviously, he was disturbed that he wasn't immediately able to help as soon he wanted because of insurance procedures and it was an excruciating 3 weeks before I could have my surgery. His office staff and the insurance staff were persistent with the insurance company and contacted me soon as I was approved. My procedure was performed only days later. I awoke to immediate relief and though I had some other issues NOT related to surgery, I never regretted it for a moment!! Dr Camody came to the hospital personally every day to see how I was doing(from personal experience, that rarely happens anymore!). My husband and I commented after my first visit to Dr Carmodys office that he made us feel Like we had known him for a long time and how assuresd we felt that I was in the best hands. Before consulting any doctor, We researched everywhere online to find the best reviews we could find before choosing to make an appointment with Dr Carmody. Highly favorable and highly recommended reviews were definitely honest and "spot on"! Thank you, Dr. Carmody.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Dr. Carmody performed an artificial disc replacement in 2015 of my disc between my c-4 and c-5. My pain was relieved almost instantly and my recovery was a breeze. Two years later, I am still active and healthy. He was a pleasure and very compassionate. We drove from Alabama to see him and it was totally worth it. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2017

1/20/2009 L5/S1 Microdiskectomy, no problems, still playing all my sports, great doc, nice guy!

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

Dr. Carmody is an amazing and talented surgeon. I have suffered from scoliosis most of my life and needed a Dr. who not only listened to me, but could also help me. I saw four surgeons over three years before I saw Dr. Carmody and all of them either told me they couldn't help me because my case was "too complicated" or just wanted to give me pain meds. Dr. Carmody was the first one to not only listen to me, but he never once said I was too complicated to help. I ended up having 2 discs replaced and more spinal fusion. He explained my procedure thoroughly with me and now 6 months later I have gone from daily debilitating pain to almost 90% pain free!

flag | Submitted October 2, 2016

I don't know what I did or how I did it, but I went from having a crick in my neck to "living" on Hydrocodone and Oxycontin in about 3 weeks. Nothing takes away nerve pain, the drugs only took the edge off the pain. A co-worker recommended Dr. Carmody and I am so glad I went and saw him. C4-C5 disk was pushing on the nerves on the left side of my neck and C5-C6 was not far behind. Dr. Carmody recommended surgery on both disks. I asked about shaving the bulges off the disks and he said I could have that procedure done but that I would be back in two years. I followed his advise and had the vertebral fixation and I am so glad I did. I woke up from the anesthetics with no pain in my neck. Two years after surgery and I am doing really well. Thank you Dr. Carmody!!

flag | Submitted November 9, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for providing feedback regarding Dr. Carmody and your experience. We are so happy to hear you are living pain free and are always here should you need us again.

Submitted February 12, 2016

When I went to Dr. Carmody, I had been suffering for 8 years with my lower back and was at my wits end. Dr. Carmody took me through the steps to finding what was best for me. That turned out to be surgery. In just days after the surgery I truly felt that he had given me my life back. In 3 months I was comfortably back on the golf course and living pain free. I just went to my 2 year follow up visit and I am so happy to say that my back is great and I am so thankful for the care I received from Dr. Carmody and his staff.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

Patient's update
Happy to hear you are living pain free and back to golfing and living the good life. We wish you continued good health.

Submitted February 12, 2016

I have never felt the need to rate a doctor before, but I felt like sharing my experience with Dr. Carmody. He removed a disk in my lower back less than 3 months ago. He replace it with an artificial one and added lots of hardware for stability. I am pain free today. I have not been pain free for years. I feel rejuvenated because I sleep at night and I am not living in constant pain. I never waited more than 10 minutes in the waiting room for my appointments. He and his staff were always courteous and friendly. Randy Farrer, his P.A. was always there to assist me in any way possible. I recommend them to anyone I hear complaining about back pain. They exceed all others in service and results. I had a previous back surgery about 28yrs ago and I did not receive the service or dedication I received at this office. He and is staff are awesome.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for the positive feedback as it's the biggest compliment in recommending us to family and friends. We are so happy you found us and are living a pain free life. Enjoy!

Submitted February 12, 2016

I'm so thankful a family friend recommended Dr. Carmody. I had been living with neck pain for well over a year which escalated to debilitating pain levels with shoulder, arm, hand and finger involvement over a month ago. No pain medication could touch the pain. I couldn't sleep, couldn't sit, couldn't stand. I was existing not living and was on the slow medicine boat scheduled for steroid shots that the pain management doctor didn't think would help me. Dr. Carmody took one look at my MRI and said let's fix this. A week later I had C6/7 disc removal and fusion. My C6/7 disc had blown and the hard outer portion of the disk was resting against and compressing route nerve C7. Pre-surgery my pain level was easily a 10 out of 10. I woke from surgery with pain in the 7 range which slowly calmed during the day to a 5 range. I went home from hospital the day after surgery. I'm now 15 days post op and the nerve pain continues to lessen and I'm regaining sensation in my arm/fingers/hand. My arm strength is almost back to normal. I stopped taking all pain medications 5 days after surgery. I was so terrified of spine surgery of my neck and now realize it was the best possible decision I could make. I've been in contact with others across the country through online forums who've had the exact surgery as mine and my recovery seems to be so much easier than many others. I attribute that to Dr. Carmody's skill and expertise. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone with spine problems who wants their life back.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for the recommendation to family and friends as that is the biggest compliment Dr. Carmody can receive from his patients. We are happy to hear you are doing well and the trust you put in Dr. Carmody allowed you to live a pain free life. Wishing you the best in the future as well.

Submitted February 12, 2016

I saw Dr. Carmody approximately 7 months ago for neck pain. We looked at my films together. He told me I would eventually need surgery. At that time, I elected not to have surgery. I asked him how soon I would need surgery. He said I would know when it was time. One morning I woke with pain radiation into my back and down one arm. I thought I had pulled something in my back or shoulder. Within 24 hours the pain was so excruciating that I went to the ER. They gave me a shot that helped me for about 4 hours. Oral medication did not help. I scared my husband when I curled up on the floor and cried. My life stopped. I could only sleep a couple of hours at a time. I saw Dr Carmody the next day. He and I agreed that it was time for surgery. Unfortunately, he was going out of town for a week. I survived by having a nerve block done by a pain specialist. The surgery a week later was a total success. No nerve pain! The only pain I had post surgery was surgical pain from 2 small incisions he made to do the cervical fusion. I asked for a copy of before and after xrays. I have shown them to everyone who would stand still. I showed them to my pain specialist. When he looked at the before xray, he said "oh no." Then he looked at the post surgical xray and said, "wow." I would recommend Dr. Carmody to anyone who wants the best in spine surgery. He did an amazing job and made my life wonderful again.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

Patient's update
Thank you for the wonderful message you've passed along to all those looking for extraordinary care and we hope you continue to well.

Dr. Cameron N. Carmody's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

A native of Fresno, CA, Dr. Carmody graduated from the University of California Irvine and was awarded the Regent’s Scholarship at UC-Irvine Medical School and graduated in the top 5% of his class and was selected into the AOA Honor Society. After medical school he completed his fellowship training in spinal reconstruction surgery before starting clinical practice in 1996. Dr. Carmody is actively involved in clinical research and is a member of the Complex Spine Study Group, the Scoliosis Research Society, the North American Spine Society and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He is a primary investigator for the FDA study evaluating the safety and efficacy of the Kineflex/C Artificial Cervical Disc Replacement. Dr. Carmody is a thoughtful and caring physician who takes time with his patients to explain in plain terms their diagnosis and treatment options. He is well-versed on minimally invasive techniques and motion preservation technologies. He frequently recommends surgery only when the potential benefits well outweigh the risks. He sees complex spine referrals from all around the region and is well-respected for his diagnostic and surgical skills. Being worthy of his patients’ trust is of paramount importance to him. Dr. Carmody lives in Plano with his wife and two children. He enjoys fly fishing, playing guitar and singing.

• English

• Univ Of Ca, Irvine, Ca Coll Of Med, Irvine Ca 92717 (Grad. 1989)

• Best Doctor in Collin County D Magazine