Ratings for Dr. Stephanie H. Ewing

Dr. Ewing and her staff are dismissive and insensitive. In September 2015, my husband and I started trying to conceive. When my menstrual cycle was a few days late, I took a pregnancy test and was surprised when it was negative. I was not surprised because I thought we would be immediately successful in getting pregnant, but because I have been tracking my period for years and it is never late. I finally got my period a week later and soon after began experiencing night sweats. Again, something I had never experienced before. I made an appointment with Dr. Ewing, but when I explained my symptoms to her she completely dismissed them as being attributable to anxiety. She refused to do any testing saying that my options were to either have a consult with her about pregnancy or she could perform my annual exam. I chose the latter because I was concerned something was physically wrong and was hopeful it would turn up during the exam. The exam yielded nothing and Dr. Ewing told me I was completely healthy and that she would be very surprised if I didn't conceive in the next six months. Flash forward to March 2016 when my menstrual cycle was again over ten days late and pregnancy tests were negative. I called to try to get an appointment and was told Dr. Ewing could not see me until May 2016. I grew very upset and asked to have Dr. Ewing's secretary call me back. When her secretary - Susan - called me back she was also immediately dismissive of my symptoms, saying "if I had a dime" for every call from a woman trying to get pregnant whose cycles was late. You can imagine this did not make me feel better, especially since my husband and I had not tried to conceive in the previous month. Susan then proceeds to read from my chart, which apparently states reflects "irregular periods," I correct her explaining that my menstrual cycle had always been regular except for the two episodes in the last six months. It was at that point that I recognized that this is just how Dr. Ewing's practice operates. Attributing women's concerns as being in their heads instead of performing diagnostics to rule out other causes. I decided to seek treatment elsewhere and my worries were justified. A vaginal ultrasound and blood test reflect that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which can cause a host of issues including fertility problems. Everyone deserves a doctor who respects them and listens to their concerns. Dr. Ewing is not that doctor. I encourage all women to follow their instincts and avoid Dr. Ewing and any doctors like her.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2016

Saw her for prenatal visit. She was extremely rude, mean, would not answer questions, and actually told me she did not have time for me and my questions. Terrible experience. She treated me as though I were not human. A pregnant person nor anyone should be treated this way by a physician.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2016

I am so upset after reading all of the negative reviews about this physician. I am writing this review 8 years after my experience so you can imagine that my feelings remain strong. I, too, experienced complications following my delivery with my last child. I had 2 prior C-sections and never had experienced a lack of vaginal bleeding. I kept telling the nurses at the hospital who told me that sometimes this is normal. I just believed them and went ahead thinking, wow-no bleeding postpartum? I'm lucking out...well, about 10 days later, I woke up to SEVERE abdominal pain around my umbilical area. Such that I couldn't even walk; I literally couldn't even put any weight on my foot because it would cause pain in my abdomen. I called Dr. Ewing who told me that it had nothing to do with the C-section, even though I was not even 2 weeks post surgery. I was advised to call my family doctor. As I reflect on this, I can't even freaking believe I let this woman treat me like that. I called my family doctor, who saw me immediately and said I needed to call my OB given that I had just had a C-section, and when I told him I did and her response, he excused himself and called her directly from his cell phone. I overheard the whole conversation which was UGLY. He came back and told me that he was very worried and that I should go immediately to the ER to have an ultrasound because he believed that I still had placenta left inside of me. I went to Jeanes Hospital who confirmed something was askew and sent me right back to the Pennsylvania Hospital where I had to have an internal ultrasound (?). They advised me that I had an umbilical hematoma and that is why I never bled initially. Apparently, all the blood from the baby that is normally shed postpartum formed a sort of blood blister near my umbilical area. I was advised that if it didn't come out within a week, I would have to have a DnC. My primary doctor called me the next day to check in and see how I was feeling (something Dr.Ewing never did). At that point, he shared with me that he was very concerned with her professional medical response to his concerns given his evaluation of my state and how she acted with him on the phone. He subtly gave the impression that I should consider switching OB/GYNs. Looking back, Dr. Ewing was everything these other reviews said; cold, dismissive, unprofessional, irresponsible and has a TERRIBLE bedside manner. My shared experience above is only a single example of the subpar experience I had with her. If I could do it all over, I would absolutely have switched Docs from the beginning! As others have said...STAY FAR AWAY!

flag | Submitted June 25, 2015

I agree with many of the comments made above. I had a positive experience with most of the doctors (with the execption of one midwife) prior to delivery. I had multiple complications during delivery and never saw any of the doctors from the practice. Two days after delivery, Dr. Ewing blamed me for the complications and I had the same experience with severe bleeding after delivery. The staff even added information to my chart after delivery that was not there before had (you can check via mypennmedicine). No one ever adequately explained why all the complications happened or apologized for the experience.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2014

STAY FAR FAR AWAY! Worst bedside manner of any doctor I have ever encountered. I will definitely NOT be returning to see her.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2012

Dr. Ewing is the best thing that has ever happened to me and my children. I am very upset by some of these negative reviews. Don't just Dr. Ewing by the staff; I know that depending on who is sitting at the front desk, it can be very frustrating. But Dr. Ewing has always spent a lot of time with me, answered any/all questions, made great suggestions about my care...I have always been happy with her, delivered all three of my children at Pennsylvania Hospital and under her care, and would not trade the experience for the world. It is a wonderful group, and I have always felt confident in their care. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Ewing, as a mother of 3, and as someone who has had negative experiences with gyn's before, but have never had a negative experience with Dr. Ewing.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2011

I went for a prenatal check up and while her information seemed sound, her manner was cold and she had the disconcerting habit of speaking to my vagina rather than to my eyes. I changed doctors in the practice because of her impersonality.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2011

She was extremely unhelpful and had a bad bedside manner. I would never go back to see her again.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2010

She is great. We had 4 boys and each had different complications of sorts. Dr. Ewing always helped us and put us at ese after knowing the facts and course of action. Her office is in high demand because they are highly reccomended in the area so we were always happy to talk with the midwives and other doctors if she personally wasnt available. We highly reccomend Dr. Ewing and her office.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2010

difficulty in scheduling to see her and her staff does not speak to you like a person and if you have an issue they do not really address it

flag | Submitted September 18, 2009

Dr. Stephanie H. Ewing's Credentials

• University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine (Grad. 1991)

Henry Ford / HAP