Ratings for Dr. Marc J. Philippon

Dr Philippon is an excellent minimal access hip surgeon--he teaches many other orthopedic surgeons how to do these surgeries and is world-renowned for this. Your results are likely to be fantastic, but you will pay through the nose for it. He is a money-making machine. You will have tests repeated that you do not need, you will be prescribed medications and devices for which there is no evidence-based reason, and you will have repeat x-rays and a repeat MRI scan that are superfluous. And then you will find out that he owns the OR, owns the X-ray machine, owns the MRI machine (through his personal research institute), patented the devices he prescribes (one of which costs over $1000 and is next to useless), leases space to the device reps who sell you on PROM machines and ice machines from his office, and has a financial interest in the pharmacy which supplies the many unnecessary (and few useful) medications. He is a nice guy--and you will spend about 10min with him (twice) for a total bill close to $70,000. The rest of the time he's insulated by administrative staff. If you don't have Cadillac insurance, don't even apply. Result: probably very good. Cost: every penny they can squeeze out of you.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

Charismatic, positive and brilliant. Dr. Philippon was amazing for my labral hip surgery July 29th. His staff is excellent and prepared me for ALL I needed to know before travelling from Canada to Vail. I knew what to expect, how much it cost, how long I needed to stay and more. They gave me an entire program to follow post-op which is amazing and helpful. The fact that Philippon is so integrated with the Howard Head physio means you are getting the best care in the world with Philippon trained and experienced staff and resources. Many people talk are upset that he is not punctual. Keep in mind this man is in surgery all day and can't always know before hand how long surgery will take. He is working crazy hours, in fact he saw me on a Saturday for my follow up 4 days after surgery. So he might not be on time for your appointment; instead of berating him be thankful you get to see the best doctor in the world in this field. Additionally, prior to surgery I only saw him for about 5 minutes, but again, I didn't need any longer with him than that. He staff had prepared me so well, that when I met him it was really a formality. His confidence in telling me he could "make me better" was all I needed, so 5 mins was more than enough time to spend with him. He is extremely personable, friendly and charismatic taking an interest in you as a person. His job is to see you for 5 mins, it's his staff's job to assess you, reassure you, inform you and so on. So ask them all your questions!! The Vail facility is top notch; the best care in the world. And Dr. Philippon is a master. I personally paid for my surgery out of my own pocket and don't begrudge the money given the quality of care I was provided. Can't say enough about this doctor, his staff and the facility. 6 weeks out I just had my post-opp with Dr. Philippon and am cleared for moving forward. He completely fixed me. Love this man.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2014

Dr. Philippon staff was friendly and nice. Dr. Cassat Sports Medicine MD was very helpful too. However, Dr. Philippon took two weeks to call us regarding our daughter's hip injury and her diagnosis. I only had 5 minutes on the phone with him and sadly I was not shown her MRI or x-rays to help us understand our daughters' condition. Dr. Philippon wanted to do a PRP injection right away that we felt was not going to really address her issues. So, we sadly felt that we were not important enough of a patient and have gone for a 2nd opinion. We were very disappointed as we live in the Vail area.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2013

Before coming across the Steadman-hawkins clinic in Vail, CO I had seen 14 different orthopedists without a diagnosis. After two botched hip procedures, done by local surgeons, I was determined to find the very best. All of my searches led to Dr. Philippon. Since his clinic in Colorado was nearly a 13 hour drive from my hometown, we were able to fedex MRI and X-ray reports to him. Within a week, we already had a response and an appointment made for evaluation. Dr. Philippon did procedures on both of my hips with positive outcomes. Surgery on my right hip was extremely complex due to the two previous operations, but he was able to repair it without a problem. Even though he sees professional athletes on a daily basis, there is no preferential treatment. He spends as much time as needed with you during each appointment, and you never feel rushed. Overall, he is caring, professional, and gets the job done right, the first time!

flag | Submitted October 1, 2011

Amazing care, amazing physician, amazing staff. Truly, I cannot say enough good about this man. Treated my high-school aged son like he was one of the all-stars who travel from around the globe to see him.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2011

The best hip surgeon have known. Very kind. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2011

Assistants do not return calls. Even when I called saying my daughter was having a reaction to medicine! I have been trying to reach someone for over a month. May go to another doctor mainly because of poor staff service. Cannot wait any longer. Too much pain. Doctor himself is excellent.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2010

Dr. Philippon and his entire staff at the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Vail and Vail Valley Medical Center were consistently kind, courteous, attentive, and professional.My son had a hip arthroscopy with an excellent outcome. We traveled from Washington state to Vail because Dr. Philippon is known for his expertise in this field. We certainly made the right decision!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2010