Ratings for Dr. D.J. MacFadyen

My husband is dead. Dr. MacFadyen read clinical signs of "heart" problems. He read the Heart monitor tests which showed left ventricle problems and palpitations, yet was not concerned as my husband was not experiencing pain, only weakness and shortness of breath, when working or exerting himself. Dr. MacF. did not do any referrals nor thought anything was urgent This was in Dec. 2010 and my husband died Feb 17th.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2011

I went to chilliwack hospital with chest pains and was admitted immediatley.Dr. macfayden was the dr. appointed to me. I told him i had a family history of heart problems. My mom died of a heart attack at 43 and my 52 yr. old brother has already had 2 heart attacks.I'm 50 yrs. old. He suspected it to be my gallbladder by the pain i explained, so he sent me for an ultra sound, which did not show anything. He then had me go for a tc scan again without any results. From there i went to the columbian hospital for an angiogram, where i was told i had a good strong heart. He kept me in hospital so i could have all these test done right away, or i could of be waiting months if I had gone home,thanks to our great health care system.In the end I found out from my family doc , it was actually acid reflux.I still appreciate all the tests he sent me for because now i know i am a pretty healthy guy.I feel he took all precautions necessary to evaluate and eliminate any problems.Thanks doc good job.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2010

He was a nice enough man, but I was having breating problems. I take inhailers for asthma for a few years. He did one simple test in the office and decided it was not my lungs that was the problem. Next, I had a running stress test. My heart is good. He left before I got off the treadmill and I pretty much colasped on the bed. My breathing was poor. The nurse kept an eye on me. Then I left the Hosp. and was in bed the rest of the day. Would not recomend!

flag | Submitted October 7, 2009

On the basis of the preceding comments I was considering cancelling the appointment made for me by my doctor with Dr. MacF. Then his receptionist called me to confirm and she was so nice, that I thought this doctor could not be as bad as some people described him. When I met Dr. MacF he was very pleasant, polite and professional. In our talk he asked all the right questions and gave me all the right answers. He asked me questions which I had been waiting for a doctor to ask me for years. He told me that I have to lose 7 lbs., NOT (yet) the other 105 that I feel I should lose... He referred me for further testing elsewhere. I think that, as may be the case in some instances, if one comes into a doctor's office with a chip on one's shoulder, the relationship is gone already. So: don't bring your chips in.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2008

Dr. Mc Fayden will not refer patients to a cardiologist or other specialists when diagnosis is beyond his scope

flag | Submitted February 3, 2008

He told my 40 year old husband who had been referred to him with chest pains and a long family history of early deaths by heart attacks that my husband had only a 4% chance of a heart related problem and further tests were not worth doing. Six months later my husband had emergency triple bypass surgery at RCH. His main artery was 98% blocked and the two remaining were 95% blocked. This happened to us depsite us informing him that my husband's father died of a massive heart attack at age 43 and that his grandfather had his first major heart attack at age 30. Be warned!

flag | Submitted April 30, 2007

I can only speak to my personal experience with Dr. MacFadyen. As a result of a referral by my own wonderful family physician, Dr. Ross, I've had cause to appear before Dr. MacFadyen twice. Visit one: He assessed I needed a lung test (can't remember which one it was). I was administered that test at CGH. Dr. MacFadyen interpreted the test whereupon I was summoned to his office for Visit two. Diagnosis? Chronic bronchitis. Prognosis? Dr. McFayden laid it on the line. Chronic bronchitis does not get any better; it only gets worse--and worse it will get if I continue to smoke. End story. No embellishment. No sugar coating. No entreaties. Simply an order to stop smoking or beg for worse things to come. Dr. McF's approach worked for me, cuz he gave me the distinct impression that he meant business and that if I valued my life that I should too. I'd give the good doctor a 5/5 for positive results.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2007

Rude to the Chilliwack Hospital Nurses, has no bedside manners

flag | Submitted March 25, 2007

Piss poor doctor, worst in everything. He lsitened to my heart and checked my blood pressure. Then made me do a couple of tests to check my balance. Then he sat me down and told me I didnt have camcer! I wasn't even in for that. To me he is a quack. And I have spoken to other GP's and they feel the same. I had Lymes disease and he had absolutley no clue on what he was doing. Not recomended to see him for anything.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2007

I have every confidence in this doctor. He has looked after my heart problems entirely to my satisfaction(Atrial Fibrilation). He appears to be a rather shy person and I suspect this has resulted in his lower than average rating. In my opinion, he desrves a much better rating. He is a very clever diagnostician(spelling?)Signed: Hans B Larsen Chilliwack BC 606-858-7093

flag | Submitted March 9, 2007