Ratings for Dr. Granger Avery

How he became president of the doctors union is beyond belief. He not only had terrible diagnosing skills but was horrible to all the doctors causing them to repeatedly leave town. He must have convinced all the docs who have not worked with that he is a stand up guy. How little they know. Thankfully he is no longer practicing, but it seems almost worse that he gets to shape other young docs.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2017

Reading these comment makes me realize Dr. Avery has not changed over the years. He continues to be an insensitive, uncaring doctor who clearly does not have good diagnostic skills. He and his band of merry men almost put my daughter in an early grave 27 years ago. Fortunately she was able to get competent care at Nanaimo and then Children's Hospital in Vancouver. Here is the scary news though. He is now the Canadian Medical Assn. That's right folk. He gets to direct how health care shall be delivered. This is an absolute travesty. I'm going to my MP and any politician who will listen and complain. It's time for patients to have their say in health care.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2016

I have heard that Dr. Avery is good at a couple of things. Setting broken bones and vasectomies. I personally have never had a good experience with him. I found him to be rude and self absorbed. One experience is when my son became very ill at a year and a half. I brought him into the emerg and Dr Avery barely looked at him and sent him home. He gave me a lecture saying that if my child is eating/drinking, is up and about and is smiling, they are obviously not sick. Until they are just laying there, motionless, there is no reason to be bringing them in and wasting medical staffs time. The next morning, after not giving him Tylenol (I didn't want his symptoms masked this time), I brought my son back in because he was just lying there. Turns out he had a bad lung infection and was hospitalized. Dr. Avery told me it was my fault because I didn't give him the Tylenol. My son ended up on a nebulizer every time he got sick for the next 2 years. After this incident, I became paranoid about going into emerg unless it was absolutely necessary. My daughter became very sick when we were in Kelowna and we waited to take her in. The doctor asked me why we waited so long and I explained about our treatment back home. He asked who the doctor was and I was told that they had heard about him (not a lot of good things) If he is known by patients and medical personal to be an incompetent doctor, why is he still practicing?

flag | Submitted January 17, 2015

I suffered a repetitive strain injury 1n 1999 which after recent surgery in 2012 was concluded to be severe, I had what turned out to be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in my lower neck (pinched artery and nerves) otherwise known as Scalenus Anticus. If it hadn't have been for the care and compassion he showed and willingness to refer me on to a specialist, Dr. Bass a Physiatrist in rehab medicine in Victoria (now retired) who was also a tremendous support to me in my time of need, I really don't know where I would be today. I moved from the area 12 years ago, and never did get the chance to thank him for all that he did for me, including not allowing me to return back to the job that injured me so severely. I have had a great experience with this physician, who really went to bat for me.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2013

AFter waiting in the hospital for almost 6 hours, he came by, ordered some blood tests, said to take some aspirin, never saying how much or how often or what strength aspirin, and left.........................called hours later and said tests were inconclusive..........

flag | Submitted February 22, 2013

Dr. Avery has been our Famil doctor for more than 30 years. Despite many other doctors leaving Port McNeill for better money and better life style, Dr, Avery has been faithful to his patients and this community. He is often late because he spend more time talking to patients other than a quick diagnosis and prescription. He is caring and has wonderful bedside manners.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2011

Dr Avery is not I repeat NOT a good doctor at all. I look at him and I cringe. I saw him few times and never again. What a unprofessional approach to treatments or questions I asked re his diagniosis.Of course I got 2 prescription which I did not need and no he is not willing to send anyone from his 'talons'to a specialist because he thinks he is the one. Poor mannered and not very bright individual. Pill pusher.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2009

I took my 11 year old grandson to the Port McNeill clinic because he had been limping for weeks. All 3 Doctors that we saw over a period of about a month diagnosed him as having a muscle injury. I asked Dr. Avery to refer us to a specialist and he said it wasn't necessary. He sent him to physio instead. The other Doctors had also refused my request and said the same thing. I finally convinced one of them to refer us to a specialist in Victoria who operated on my grandson 4 days later because his hip ball had become almost completely detached and was hanging by a thread. He may have ended up disabled for the rest of his life had he not received attention when he did. Physio made things worse for the poor little guy. I listened to this kid cry and cry as he was in so much pain and nobody at that clinic would listen to me. For one appt we waited 2 hours and another, we waited an hour and half. This was a frustrating and painful experience for us.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2009

Comments like the one below are really idiotic.People forget what a small community this is,even if they live in Port Hardy.Dr Avery and all the doctors at the Port McNeill Medical Clinic do their best.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2008

When this rating system started I knew this was a great idea. It was full of good and bad, and it was left to me to make up my own mind! Then I noticed ratings that where placed, then disappeared. From reading the entries you'll notice the staff of the Port Mcneill Medical Office are censoring some of the other Doctors ratings. EG: "I work here and he's my Doctor" Dear staff you are not in these rooms with your beloved Doctor, you are just guessing that all is well. Even my 10 year old knows that not all Doctors where at the top of their class. Even Dr's have a bad day or make a mistake or let their egos get in the way. I gave Dr. Granger all fives, because I've never met him, BUT if I ever go see him, (not likely with his ratings) I would then hope my honest opinions are not censored. So much for free speech. These ratings will balance themselfs out, so how about leaving this site alone.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2008