Ratings for Dr. Barry Lycka

"How's my favourite doctor?" is how I have greeted Dr. Lycka for over 20 years - for persistent acne and other distressing skin conditions. Not only is he a brilliant diagnostician he combines compassion with a calming, professional bedside manner. He and his nurses always attend to my anxiety and instill trust and confidence in me. I especially appreciate charge nurse Wendy's care and compassion. She even saw me after office closure to re-do a dressing. Kudos too to Tami and team. If the wait is a bit long sometimes it's because Dr. Lycka has to take unexpectedly more time with a patient, another indication of his dedication. I'd sit all day in the swanky waiting room for him! Thanks for taking care of my health all these years Dr. Lycka and team. JoAnn Q.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

rude, in a rush, no time to listen. Won't be returning.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2016

Outstanding office. Not only did Dr. Lycka exceed my epectation in helping relieve my eczema, his staff was tremendous in welcoming me into their office. From the front end staff, to the helpful nurse Kyla and Dr. Lycka, I am immensely greatful.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

Dr. Lycka, I want to take this opportunity to thank you and your staff for excellent patient care and service. I have been a patient now for over a year for laser hair treatments. It has been a pleasure to visit your office, from your reception staff to your laser technician, Tina. For years, I shaved, waxed and used depilatory creams. I ordered creams online that burned my skin. These procedures would last a short time leaving me frustrated and i hated the summer months as my hair growth was bad enough it prevented me from wearing summer clothes and enjoying the summer months. I jokingly called my father "the missing link". This may sound exaggerated but the laser hair removal I got at your office has changed my life immensely. I can now wear what I want, whenever I want. I can even go swimming with my family without worrying about the hair on my body - because there is none. The procedures were not painful, surprisingly, and I would Recommend Tina to anyone with unwanted hair. Book an appointment now. Dr Lycka and Tina - thank you

flag | Submitted July 23, 2016

I'm writing from the Justin Bieber concert only 1 day after the laser treatment! Wow... Can you imagine that?! NO hospital stay, NO drugs, NO long recovery... I'm ready to see Justin! What a journey ... It started with the quote 'Leap and the Net Will Appear'... I knew in my heart this treatment is what I needed. It is a miracle... You have given me my life back, Dr Lycka. I was a beat up broken spirit and body when we met. I was angry that no one would help me! I was turned away on multiple oçcasions. I knew I would be disabled or dead. I recall being told by a well meaning top burn specialist 'You don't burn a burn'... there was no more talk of this option... however, no other alternatives were given to me. There are times in history when new ideas are presented... and it appears like blasphemy. Remember Galileo when he said the earth was ROUND and not flat... We wouldn't even question his statement today! I have a future again! I can work, dance, run and do yoga. I can bend over and touch my face to my legs. I can walk and not have burning pain in my hips. I can continue my travels and active life. I can wear clothes that flatter me. I can LIVE!!! Dr Lycka you saved me. I know every burn survivor's story is different ... but it does not have to be the last chapter! I feel having a focus on mobility versus just the shell (skin) covering me gave me a wonderful quality of life. These treatments are all about being able to do the things everyone loves to do and is used to doing. I would challenge every Burn Specialist in the room to reframe this leading edge technology. I know it is easier to deal with the devil we know... but what a gift they would be giving to each patient. They'll regret not doing so sooner....

flag | Submitted July 23, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Barry Lycka for Laser Acne Treatment. I must say that every visit the service is great and everyone in the office is always friendly.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

I came in for a cancer checkup and I was very happy with my service. I didn’t have to wait long at all, I got right in and got the right cream for my eczema! Thank you Dr. Lycka

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

I went to him regarding hair loss, Dr Lycka does not listen or explain, he rushes and is rude, the staff couldn't find my blood work, he never checked to see if the freezing was effective before my biopsy, the room they took me to was dirty, I have never complained before but I can honestly say he is the worst Doctor I have ever been to.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016

Dr. Barry Lycka's response
Thank you for taking the time to write to write your comments. While we are rushed, we use paraprofessional staff to check you in, take your history and help present your problems to me. I may appear rude at times, but if you take the time to get us and our staff, you will find we have hearts of gold. Remember, we deal with everything in dermatology, from simple problems to life threatening emergencies to severe complicated cases. So, yes, we can be rushed. But you are always listened to and we always care. We deal with over 100 people everyday. occasionally lab tests do go astray but we have staff members assigned to that task and we always find them.

Submitted July 10, 2016

Dr. Barry Lycka's response
Wendy - charge nurse - I am incensed about comments of a "dirty room". Each room is cleaned according to a thirty point checklist between patients. And the nurses are responsible for freezing the patients. We always check - multiple times.

Submitted July 10, 2016

my wife had the Russian thread treatment done in the mid 2000,s and it was a complete disaster and she is still suffering as these threads are still floating around in her face causing many health problems Dr,lycka removed what he could but left the rest to us. they cannot be seen by xray so cannot be located in order to extract the peaces left in. Has any one else had this experience and still suffering from this procedure.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

Dr. Barry Lycka's response
Thank you for taking the time to write . If you are still experiencing difficulties, instead of writing here, you should take the time to come in Threads often "float to the surface" and over time we can get them out. I still get requests for this procedure and have many patients who had it years ago still grateful they had it. I'm sorry you had difficulties. Please come in and I will be glad to see what we can do

Submitted July 22, 2016

Dr. Barry Lycka's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr Barry Lycka, Edmonton-based cosmetic dermatologist, is one of North America's foremost authorities on cosmetic surgery, skin cancer surgery, reconstructive surgery and laser surgery of the skinRecognized by the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Alberta as a specialist in Dermatology. He is asked frequently to share his knowledge of cosmetic surgery at international symposia such as the American Society of Nonsurgical Aesthetics, American Academy of Dermatology and the American Society of Cosmetic Dermatology And Aesthetic Surgery (ASCDAS). For the latter of which he served as vice president in 2004-2006 Dr Barry Lycka is also founder of the Canadian Skin Cancer Foundation and is a founding member of Doctors For The Practice of Safe and Ethical Cosmetic Surgery. He is also author of the best selling book - Restoring Youth and numerous other titles. As an acknowledged leader in North America, Dr Barry Lycka is well-known as a specialist in the cosmetic surgery procedure of liposuction. He was one of the first to use the tumescent and eXtrinsic tumescent ultrasonic (XTUL) techniques. He is now one of the first to adapt powered instruments in his treatment. He frequently has patients come to him from out of the country, including patients from the mid and far East, the United States and Europe He founded The Canadian Skin Cancer Foundation And Your CosmeticDoctor.tv -now over 100 shows) is host of Inside Cosmetic Surgery Today Dr. Lycka also takes the time to teach the next generation of cosmetic surgeons. He frequently has other cosmetic surgeons visit his office, and has had cosmetic surgeons from as far away as Australia Dr Barry Lycka is also a member of the esteemed American Society of Surgical Professors (the teachers of the teachers) and is one of a few Canadians to join this erudite group On November 8, 2014 he was named philanthropist of the year!!!!!

• English

• University of Minnesota (Grad. 1989)
  • University of Alberta (Grad. 1983)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 1978)

• Consumers Choice Award for 16 consecutive years