Ratings for Dr. Michael P. Horan

Run as fast as you can!!! Horrible bedside manner, made me cry several times with the harsh way he spoke to me. Basically told me all the nerve pain/headaches/brain fog were all in my head. I finally got smart and switched doctors where I was given a spinal tap which came out abnormal with high possibility of MS. I can't believe Horan is still practicing

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

Finally, on the 7th visit we met Dr Horan because his nurse practioner doesn't work there any more. We waited over 2 hours the last three visits to be seen. This is the trend according to the other reviews. Why? Simply because the dr likes to gab! Front desk, I thought were professional but the more we went I noticed rolling of eyes and talking about patients. My 84 mother is the patient and we're trying to see if she has dementia or Alzheimer. He talked about D3 and asked if I were taking it and to double the dosage to prevent memory issues. I told him, I was not his patient, that my mother was, and he said "Oh yeah!" All he wanted to do was increase or push meds as that's what the expectation is from the pharmaceutical companies. Namenda sent my mom reeling, and caused extreme repetitive actions and more memory issues than when we started. I told him the wait times were over two hours. He didn't respond to that. He wanted now to increase a dosage for something else and I said NO. I asked if there was anything to help my mom and he said no, that she was normal for her age. I know lots of people in their 80's and 90's who are lucid and vibrant, that this is not normal. He said if we decide to try another med, to which I said no again and further said we will not be back. He said OK! While waiting, and instead of discreetly walking to the front desk to ask, I spoke loudly from my seat, "How much longer will it be? We have been waiting 2 hours!" She rolled her eyes, went to inquire and said we were next. I said,"I asked how long will it be, not if we're next." She didn't respond. Others waiting were of the same opinion and some were nodding their heads at me. HORRIBLE! My mother sees 7 physicians and specialists, all of whom run timely practices. This place is awful.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2016

Received rude, unprofessional and contradictory treatment and information from the front desk who refused to let me speak to a physician about my medical issues. I was originally told that I could speak the Dr. or his practitioner on my next appointment which was 8/19/2015, however when I called to confirm my appointment, I was given a different story and told that I could not see or speak with the Dr. or his practitioner after all. I had also left numerous messages regarding a prescription ordered by your physician which I couldn't get filled and could not get any help or call back regarding this issue. I am dissatisfied with this office and have filed a complaint with HPN and will find a more competent and caring practice to provide my care and will post reviews of my negative experiences with this office on any/all sites available for such issues.

Submitted August 19, 2015

I have to agree with everyone else here about the ridiculously long wait times. The doctors office will charge you if you are late, but they do not offer so much as an apology if you have to wait 3 hours. I already have been diagnosed with allergies, and do not know what the importance of getting re tested is-so I am not. The waiting room was filled to capacity and standing room only. I ended up seeing a nurse practitioner and not a doctor. My child and I were supposed to be seen at the same time, and as any parent knows, 2 year olds get hungry and tired easily. As I was about to walk out after a 3 hour wait the nurse finally came in. Now, she was rude I my child and I. I don't take rudeness to my child lightly and she is lucky she didn't get cussed out. I needed a note for work and I was advised that they don't "do that type of thing". Guess I'll be looking for another doctor.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2015

On my 1st appointment DR. was over 2hrs late. I, later learned/ Horan When put in room still waited but did hear him socializing with patient in other room. Was also FORCED to take an allergy test, when I told them was not necessary, Recently found out why! I received from my insurances why! The bill was over $ 500 00. Had already told my G.P.! Going to talk to my insurances after seeing how much was charged! On the 15th of this month both my policies came back DENIED for UNNECESSARY procedures!! I have received a bill from Quest Diagnosis for work that was NOT necessary! Now QUEST wants me to pay the $368.79 billing!! To top it off Dr. Horon never advised me of the blood work test! Stated my problem is Carpel Tunnelwork. I advised that can't be true. I've had 3 carpal tunnels sugeries on my right hand @ one on my left. Dr. Horan Callyon my tnnalarresults eveme theWhen I can find the letter from their office they actually used " LEGAL TERMS" regarding my cancelled of follow-up. I had told my G.P. after 1st. visit that he was in my opinion a waste of time! Oh, the bill for some blood work my insuraces stated not paid because blood work was UNNESSARY I'm stuck with an over $300.00 bill.' I'm a senior citizen., don't have that kind of extra money to throw to the wind! ( are kick-backs involved)? Will also contact BBB about him, Channel 8, and my insurance companies ( never mentioned on my 2nd / FINAL visit!! I'll SWAR )

flag | Submitted April 18, 2015

I saw Dr Horan to have a talk about the report on my cervical MRI. I am not going to focus on his knowledge but on my recent visit I was outraged by his behavior and the way he handled the conversation. After waiting 1 1/2 hour he came "Did you have an accident? or course not I said. You have a pinched nerve" Then he showed the film, standing, holding the film under the ceiling light and pointing a spot without an explanation, as you know those pictures are very confusing and difficult to understand. So I started to open my mouth to found out if the pinched nerve was the cause of my headaches. He cut me off screaming "STOP, STOP STOP with his hands in front of my face. You know there is nothing wrong with your brain, I don't want to hear anymore about your headaches and I don't want to see you again.... and he left. The visit lasted not even 10 min. Is it a way to treat a patient????

flag | Submitted January 31, 2015

Dealing with this provider and staff will leave you cold. Three visits each required a minimum of a three (3) hour waits. Testing procedures that were turned down by insurance reviews. Calls requesting billing assistance were apparently deep sixed. As the old saying goes a word to the wise...

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

I have been a patient of neurologist, Dr. Michael P. Horan for 3 years now. Although I have an excellent primary care physician, GI specialist, Oncologist, Urologist and GYN, I can say that no one has given me more pain relief & peace of mind than Dr. Horan. I'm an RN, so he speaks to me on that medical level. My husband has no higher education so Dr. Horan speaks to him in layman's terms. Hubby never feels he is being talked down to...he truly appreciates the time & effort that Dr. Horan takes to explain diagnosis, & my treatment options to him. From a medical point of view, I have always found Dr. Horan to be accurate & extremely helpful. He works well with my team of docs, too. Yes, your wait time to see him can be long, but that's because he is giving the patients before you all the time they need to ask questions, have explanations repeated in additional ways so that no one leaves his office or the hospital without knowing everything they need to know about their neurological condition. Everyone needs to find a doc whose methods match their own, or they will be unhappy. Just know that it's OK to dislike a doctor's "style" of speaking, or explaining. Just realize that this doctor's level of knowledge is extremely high AND current. I say this as a patient and as an RN who has worked in 7 highly rated hospitals in the country as I moved around with my military hubby.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2015

My son has Cerebral Palsy and was seeing Dr. Lee who was great. He retired, I guess, so I was referred to Dr. Horan by his staff. First all the paperwork was about allergies??!! When I asked why I was told that allergies affect us neurologically (really?) I completed the paperwork and then when Dr. Horan came in he didn't even greet us. He proceeded to treat me like an idiot. He did not exam my son, he said all he could help me with was my son's "twitchies" . Really, I thought someone who went to Notre Dame knew the term muscle spasms. He again repeated he could not help my son and waved around some letter in his hand. He was rude and abrupt . If he wants to be an allergist, he needs to go back to school. At the very least he needs several courses in humanism, manners and positive communication. Don't go to this doctor unless you like to waste time and getting abused by overweight, rude self important doctor with a God complex.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2015

My brother in law has been diagnosed with an extremely rare, aggressive, inherited and fatal neurodegenerative brain disorder. He was diagnosed by UCSF who studies they disease and they have spent months helping me get him Medicare so he could see a neurologist who they could guide in his care and any possible treatments they think might help improve what time he has left. Like several others who have left reviews, we waited over 2 hours to be seen. Our appointment was at 3:15 and we were not called into the back until 5:22. We were not advised at any time that he was running behind and did we want to reschedule they just left all these patients wait with no explanation. When we got into the office an assistant saw us to find out why we were there. UCSF had faxed an extensive visit summery and recommendations to Dr. Horan weeks ago as well left a message for him to feel free to contact the doctor there for advise. I asked if they had received it. He had no idea. Wouldn't you think if a doctors office got a fax about an extremely neurological condition patient they would have read it? Researched it? The doctor came in and he did not seem to be familiar with it either. He excused himself and in less than 2 minutes was back in saying he read it and doesn't know why we were there. He said there was no note to see a neurologist just notes to see physical, OT, and speech therapist. Apparently he didn't understand the report was directed TO him because they knew he was seeing a Neurologist and it was telling him what assistance he should seek for his patient. He said he didn't even have hospital privileges so he couldn't be of any assistance. I feel as if he had read the file when he received it he could have contacted us and let us know he didn't feel he could help before we wasted 3 hours in his office for a Neurologist who didn't understand why he was seeing a patient with a neurodegenerative brain disorder.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2014

Dr. Michael P. Horan's Credentials

• Saint Louis University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1983)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal