Ratings for Dr. Michael A. Schiano

I was 62 and had not been to a doctor in over 20 years due to fears of doctors and medical procedures acquired during childhood and a difficult pregnancy. In January 2015 after suffering for 18 months with bleeding and increasing pain, I was diagnosed by a woman gynecologist with stage 3 uterine cancer and referred to Dr. Schiano because of his ability to treat difficult cases like mine. My original gynecologist said she would only refer her patients to doctors she would let work on her. Within a few weeks, I saw Dr. Schiano and had the surgery. Although some have been upset about "punctuality", a doctor is not a factory worker with a quota to meet. One of Dr. Schiano's best qualities is his ability to spend time with patients. He has always answered my questions completely. I find in the waiting room his patients understand Dr. Schiano is dealing with people who are having life altering situations and in many cases initially finding out they have cancer. I know with my first appointment, I was in so much pain I could hardly pay attention and Dr. Schiano was very kind and never made me feel guilty because I took so long to see a doctor. He spent the time with me I needed. I am undergoing 6 chemo treatments as the cancer was not completely contained and there was risk in removing what was not contained. I thank God Dr. Schiano able to make a good decision to treat the remainder with chemo, rather than risking spreading the cancer with surgery. I find Mary Schiano my infusion therapist to be knowledgeable and caring. As I spend 5 to 6 hours getting chemo every 3 weeks, I have the opportunity to observe Mary Schiano and the staff and their caring attitude both to patients in the office and on the phone. All of my insurance paperwork has been dealt with quickly and professionally. The office is spotless! My opinion from reading some of the reviews is that some people are confused about the difference between a well- educated, knowledgeable, and experienced doctor who can make necessary decisions and an arrogant doctor. I find Dr. Schiano to be humble and give the credit to God. Although I hate having cancer, going through the surgery, and now the chemo, I believe I have the best medical team available to help me. If anyone is looking for a quick "in and out" doctors office where you are just a commodity to be processed quickly, then Dr. Schiano is certainly not for you. If you are looking for a doctor who is extremely competent and focuses on you the patient as a human being, then Dr. Schiano is for you.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Prior to our appointment with Dr. Schiano we read the negative comments of punctuality and arrogance, so needless to say we were a bit apprehensive. From the moment of our arrival the staff treated my wife with respect and kindness. We had to wait about an hour to speak to the doctor at which time he was apologetic about the delay. I am very good at reading people after spending a career in law enforcement and Dr. Schiano came across as professional and knowledgeable about his craft which is saving lives. He was to the point and did not sugar coat the condition which was stage 3 uterine cancer. The surgery was this past Friday and it looks like Dr. Schiano and his surgical team got all the cancer out. I went to him and thanked him for saving my wife's life and he told me not to get ahead of myself because as a Christian he answers to a higher power. I told him those words meant more to me than all the gold in the world. I think reading some of these comments we lose the bigger picture. We need to take a deep breath at the door and ask ourselves how long is too long to wait if it means saving your life or that of a loved one.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2015

Always slow to treat and respond...I always leave feeling as if I have inconvenienced him

flag | Submitted February 18, 2015

I absolutely love Dr. Schiano and his staff. I am also alive today because of his brillant mind and skillful hands. I could not have ask for more. Bless him, his staff, and every patient that walks through that door !

flag | Submitted September 2, 2014

Absolutely love Dr Schiano,Mary and Staff.I am a live today because of the good care I received. Ever one always answers my questions and concerns.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2014

Very poor experience. Very sad. Doctor was always late; never had time to speak to us and when he did (immediately after my family members surgery) informed us that the large mass that was causing pain was not cancer and that my grandmother should be up and walking. Told us not to let her moan and graon, there was nothing to be causing her the pain that she kept complaing of. She passed away two weeks later from the cancer that has spread all over her body, her bowels, her liver, lungs, brain and bones. I will never forget how she cried telling me how much she was hurting when we kept telling her that she needed to get up and walk because the Dr said the mass was not cancer and the pain would get better in a few days. Our experience with this Dr was horrible. The specimen came back malignant by the way; but too late obviously to save my grandmothers life.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2014

While the initial visit regarding my mother's cancer was very informative and nice, all care through Dr. Shiano since has been abyssal. His is never less than an hour late for an appointment, and usually more like 2 hours late. He ignores questions when my mother has them. He consistently fails to follow-through on simple things like sending records. He is irresponsible enough to have avoided (for weeks- until I stepped in) explaining what a painful mass is (he didn't even bother to tell her it wasn't cancer, but a complication from surgery, despite her asking him face to face). When he assumed the surgical complication that was painful and seriously interfering with her work and life would have healed (while it very much hadn't), he insisted that it had because it "should have," and wouldn't even check for himself- sending my mother off not to return for 3 months.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2013

I, personally, liked Dr. Schiano. Found him to be most helpful and knowledgible. Would recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2011

I have commented on Dr. Shiano and made a mistake in giving him a great rating, he has done surgery on me for a complex problem before. I have now been diagnosed with Uterin Cancer Cells. I have been lost this time in dealing with him. Another family member has been diagnosed with Cervical cancer cells and we feel I should update my opinion. This doctor is very knowledgable I give him that, but he has so many patients that he can't keep up with your indivdual case. You wait forever in front as well as in the back before seeing him. If you have a problem and call in you will never speak with him personally, his Wife Mary(nurse) will diagnose your problem and tell you what she thinks you need to do. Sometimes discussing with her husband. He is always late for surgery at CAMC, stating that he knows the hospital needs him so he doesn't care to make his patients wait. When he does decide to stroll in he is dressed to the nines so the staff is impressed. Me not so much! New Doc 4 Me

flag | Submitted December 17, 2010

I thought Dr Schiano was a great doctor he saved my life always nice polite and answered any question I had...

flag | Submitted November 4, 2010

Dr. Michael A. Schiano's Credentials

• New York Med Coll, Valhalla Ny 10595 (Grad. 1979)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Charleston, WV