Ratings for Dr. Bruce Raphael

I was diagnosed with Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma, stage 4, 9 months ago. I am now cancer free. I found Dr. Raphael and his team to be knowledgeable, aggressive in making sure my questions were answered, my care facilitated and my quality of life restored. As treatment progressed, our relationship relaxed and grew warmer than the initial strict professionalism I first experienced. This was a life threatening situation and I wouldn't have trusted anyone who was less professional, less matter of fact or too casual in terms of familiarity. I consider my health care a collaborative effort. The doctor is not there to sugar coat and pander to your personality. He is there to provide professional, thorough health care. I did not find any member of the team to be abrasive, disrespectful of my time, emotions or medical needs. I highly recommend them whenever I learn of someone needed top oncology care.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2017

Dr Raphael diagnosed my very rare lymphoma. I found him to be sarcastic in a funny, smart way and not at all abrasive or rude. He doesn't sugar coat anything, but why would you want that from your oncologist? He answered every question posed and communicated well.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2015

I cannot understand those who described this physician as cold or abrasive. I had a perfectly pleasant experience with this doctor...he was knowledgeable, friendly and answered all my questions, which is what I would expect and hope for from a doctor.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2014

Dr. Raphael not only discovered my MDS but was instrumental in first finding a serious spinal infection that prevented my cancer treatment for more than a year. He is doggedly persistent & never once did I feel alone under his care. I believe his guidance is the reason I am alive today.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

He is very rude with no bedside manner. His staff was ok. He is a hematologist and still doesn't know if blood clot can be dissolved or not. For every question he said he will have to look into it and will get back to us which never happened. I will strongly recommend everybody not to go to him.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2013

I cannot help but agree strongly with the rater who described Dr. Raphael as cold and distant. I know that doctors do not need to be our "friends" and that niceness is only a bonus second to clinical effectiveness, however, this doctor is both ornery/"on edge" AND unhelpful. The combination of his unsettling personality style and unwillingness to listen to a patient in order to think outside the diagnostic box renders this doctor one of the worst I have ever seen. If he showed disagnostic astuteness, I would have surely overlooked his off-putting bedside manner.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2013

Dr. Raphael helped me navigate a very complex health issue. I saw him for a second opinion about an issue that no other doctor was able to help me with. I feel blessed to have found him. He came highly recommended, and I was not disappointed. In response to the first poster: it does not make sense to choose a doctor because he is nice. A nice doctor could be incompetent. I'd rather have a serious doctor who knows what he's doing over a nice doctor that misses a health issue that could be life threatening.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2012

While the staff is incredibly efficient and warm, the doctor himself is abrasive, emotionally distant, and quickly dismissive. Somewhere between med school and now, he lost his human touch. I certainly don't need my doctor to be a friend, but I expect him to listen, to be a good communicator, to and to show effective diagnostic skills. He was a big disappointment.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2011

Dr. Raphael is an excellent doctor and I highly recommend him to anyone. He is extremely knowledgeable, helpful and made me feel very comfortable during my treatment. He also has an excellent staff and they are very caring, concerned and responsive.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2009

Dr. Raphael was knowledgeable, thorough and extremely helpfu. He spoke to me like I was a person with intelligence. He is quick to respond to phone calls.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2009