Ratings for Dr. Michael Gilbart

I cannot say enough positive comments about Dr. Gilbart. From the assessment, to surgery, to follow up, Dr. Gilbart is known as the best for a reason. Dr. Gilbart and his staff were pleasant to deal with; Dr. Gilbart listened to my concerns before and after surgery with poise and sensitivity. I felt like a person, not just yet another patient. After 5 years of being in so much pain, and unable to be active, be present for my family or work, I'm confident that my hip was fixed.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

It's interesting reading all the different reviews. I can only go by my personal experience with Dr. Gilbart at Cambie Surgery in Vancouver. I was impressed with everything. I had FAI and a labral tear in my left hip. In the public system in Alberta, I could not find a surgeon willing to operate- they didn't understand the problem or felt they could possibly more damage than good (and I waited for months and months in between appointments). At this point, I was on long-term disability working modified hours. I went for a consult in April 2014. In June 2014 I had surgery. I was the first surgery of the day and it took longer than expected. I was impressed with how the nurses, anaesthesiologist and the surgeons treated me. Even if the operation failed, I really don't think I could ever complain with how I was treated. The outcome of the surgery is terrific in my case. The physiotherapist can't find any "catching" or any problems with my hip. I certainly don't. I do have a few problems with muscles that are a little twitchy or become tight in that area, but that's relatively normal. But really, I go skiing (I hit 99.6 km/h at Sunshine Village in Banff from Goats Eye ski run), I work full-time (and took a casual position at another site, so really I work more than full-time). I'm obviously not on long-term disability anymore. I am very happy with the outcome of course, but I really think I was treated very well at every step. I also recall Dr. Gilbart talking about percentages of whether the surgery would help, or make things worse, or cause no difference. There are no guarantees. For me, I'm very happy my experience with Dr. Gilbart, and I hope everyone else has the same experience and outcome I did.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

I saw Dr. Gilbart back in November of 2016 for an ongoing hip injury (began in March 2016) that has led to debilitating chronic/neuropathic pain as well as weakness and limitation to mobility (pelvis slips out of alignment and the leg gives out). Firstly, I was charged 900.00 for my referral for a 10 minute appointment at 8pm that Dr. Gilbart was 40 minutes late for when I was the only patient in the whole office. Then he refused to even look at the images I brought (on a disc from the hospitals) and said because my pain was so severe I couldn't be treated and that he couldn't do anything about it and I'd have to live with it (none of which he bothered explaining why and dodged this question when my partner and I asked). It was absolutely ridiculous and I have since contacted the office about the lack of proper treatment - besides the terrible bedside manner and refusing to even look at my MRI's, MRA's, CT scans, x-rays and ultrasounds, to be charged 900.00 as a student who is unable to work due to my physical impairment for a 10 minute appointment where the surgeon was late shouldn't happen and I hope this review prevents it from happening to someone else. Then, Dr. Gilbart forgot to request a cortisone injection to check whether the issue really is inside the hip joint or outside - I only received the cortisone injection because my usual physician sent a request for me as well just in case. I have asked the office to book another appointment because for those of us who are injured, you know you are your best advocate in ensuring you aren't brushed off by the medical system. Best of luck and hope you have a better experience than I did.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

Years of waiting for an appointment all he did in the end was lead me on that he was fully qualified to help. His procedure of synvisc was utterly useless; his cortisone injections only useful for at max 3 months.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017

Knee operation with Dr. Gilbart. Experienced, professional, and extremely caring. Very responsive and attentive post op. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2016

I had both shoulders ( rotator cuff) done , he did a fantastic job, I am very fortunate to have had him as my surgeon.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2016

I had a wonderful experience with dr. Gilbart. He did an anthroscopic knee surgery and provided amazing care both pre and post op. I feel blessed to have been looked after by him

flag | Submitted September 23, 2016

It is unfortunate that Dr. Gilbart does not do hip plications, labral grafts or ligamentum teres grafts for hip instability. Why even bother getting the surgery when he will microfracture, but meanwhile the femur will just keeping getting beat up because it is rattling around in the socket! It is even more unfortunate that he and other surgeons won't send those of us with this existence to the states where they do know how to do these techniques.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2016

Disaster, this doctor changed my family life in bad way . He made a terrible mistake in the order of knee surgery. I have records, evidence and opinions from other orthopedic surgeons. Just do not have a lawyer who would accept the case. I am still searching for lawyer.After few surgery he does not want to see my child any more.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

Dr Gilbart made an operation on my knee in May 2015. He has provided a good care, while cutting around the torn cartridge. My surgery experience with the doctor and his staff was wonderful and recovery was supper fast.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016