Ratings for Dr. Michael Gilbart

I've had two ACL surgery done by Dr Gilbart. The first was done in 2010 on my right knee and the second was done in 2015 on my left knee. It's 2018 now and both of my knees are still good. This past year I started hiking, I did the grouse grind few times a week and started road bicycling. Thank you DR Gilbert!!! Much appreciated

flag | Submitted December 28, 2017

This guy ruined my knee and consequently my life as I used to do a lot of sports and now I can't. I went to see him with a simple ACL tear and ended up having to have THREE further surgeries (thankfully by a different surgeon) to fix what he managed to completely mess up. Four independent surgeons I saw confirmed, on the basis of MRI and CT scans, that the holes he drilled were at a wrong angle and the installed screws were far too big for my bones. Thus the ACL replacement he did had no chance of being successful. Also, I never got any post-op instructions or a follow-up appointment. I wish I could sue him! I hope that this review will at least stop others having their knees ruined by him!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2017

Ruined my life and changed lives of my family. His knowledge is 0. Age of 16 got septic arthritis and so far 14 surgeries on same knee he did first. Lots of cartliage damage and ligaments torn because he did to much vertical my acl first time made many holes and damaged everything Didnt address to my posteral lateral corner which was also very unstable and injured. He did surgery on me when i had lots of joint effusion. At the end he just says im closing your file.. ya because you dont know shit. Just ruin young peoples careers and lives.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2017

Can't comment on knowledge as I've never met the guy. Been waiting nearly six months to see him. Been referred by another orthopedic doctor (whom I waited 5 months to see himself, then another 5 months to get an mri, then another 2 months for results interpretation). I've been waiting (and still am) over 1.5 years for anything of consequence to happen with my condition and it continues to worsen, and everyone talks about how great the Canadian health care system is! But I could see him privately... It'd only cost me $1000... Just to see him. That could be arranged within a week! Health care is important... For those who can afford it!

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017

I cannot say enough positive comments about Dr. Gilbart. From the assessment, to surgery, to follow up, Dr. Gilbart is known as the best for a reason. Dr. Gilbart and his staff were pleasant to deal with; Dr. Gilbart listened to my concerns before and after surgery with poise and sensitivity. I felt like a person, not just yet another patient. After 5 years of being in so much pain, and unable to be active, be present for my family or work, I'm confident that my hip was fixed.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

It's interesting reading all the different reviews. I can only go by my personal experience with Dr. Gilbart at Cambie Surgery in Vancouver. I was impressed with everything. I had FAI and a labral tear in my left hip. In the public system in Alberta, I could not find a surgeon willing to operate- they didn't understand the problem or felt they could possibly more damage than good (and I waited for months and months in between appointments). At this point, I was on long-term disability working modified hours. I went for a consult in April 2014. In June 2014 I had surgery. I was the first surgery of the day and it took longer than expected. I was impressed with how the nurses, anaesthesiologist and the surgeons treated me. Even if the operation failed, I really don't think I could ever complain with how I was treated. The outcome of the surgery is terrific in my case. The physiotherapist can't find any "catching" or any problems with my hip. I certainly don't. I do have a few problems with muscles that are a little twitchy or become tight in that area, but that's relatively normal. But really, I go skiing (I hit 99.6 km/h at Sunshine Village in Banff from Goats Eye ski run), I work full-time (and took a casual position at another site, so really I work more than full-time). I'm obviously not on long-term disability anymore. I am very happy with the outcome of course, but I really think I was treated very well at every step. I also recall Dr. Gilbart talking about percentages of whether the surgery would help, or make things worse, or cause no difference. There are no guarantees. For me, I'm very happy my experience with Dr. Gilbart, and I hope everyone else has the same experience and outcome I did.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

I saw Dr. Gilbart back in November of 2016 for an ongoing hip injury (began in March 2016) that has led to debilitating chronic/neuropathic pain as well as weakness and limitation to mobility (pelvis slips out of alignment and the leg gives out). Firstly, I was charged 900.00 for my referral for a 10 minute appointment at 8pm that Dr. Gilbart was 40 minutes late for when I was the only patient in the whole office. Then he refused to even look at the images I brought (on a disc from the hospitals) and said because my pain was so severe I couldn't be treated and that he couldn't do anything about it and I'd have to live with it (none of which he bothered explaining why and dodged this question when my partner and I asked). It was absolutely ridiculous and I have since contacted the office about the lack of proper treatment - besides the terrible bedside manner and refusing to even look at my MRI's, MRA's, CT scans, x-rays and ultrasounds, to be charged 900.00 as a student who is unable to work due to my physical impairment for a 10 minute appointment where the surgeon was late shouldn't happen and I hope this review prevents it from happening to someone else. Then, Dr. Gilbart forgot to request a cortisone injection to check whether the issue really is inside the hip joint or outside - I only received the cortisone injection because my usual physician sent a request for me as well just in case. I have asked the office to book another appointment because for those of us who are injured, you know you are your best advocate in ensuring you aren't brushed off by the medical system. Best of luck and hope you have a better experience than I did.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

Years of waiting for an appointment all he did in the end was lead me on that he was fully qualified to help. His procedure of synvisc was utterly useless; his cortisone injections only useful for at max 3 months.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017

Knee operation with Dr. Gilbart. Experienced, professional, and extremely caring. Very responsive and attentive post op. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2016

I had both shoulders ( rotator cuff) done , he did a fantastic job, I am very fortunate to have had him as my surgeon.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2016

Dr. Michael Gilbart's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.