Ratings for Dr. Barend Rudolf Kruger

First of all I and my wife are puzzled with many of the negative comments on Dr.Kruger. On entering his office we found his receptionist professional,courteous and friendly. I saw Dr.Kruger for a mole on my forearm

flag | Submitted February 17, 2018

I saw Dr. Kruger for mild to moderate (but persistent) adult acne. Before even meeting with me and seeing my skin, Dr. Kruger walked into the room with a prescription for Accutane. I told him that I wasn't really prepared to go on Accutane since the side effects really scared me. Dr. Kruger immediately challenged this saying "what side effects?". When I explained about the research I had done and the common side effects I had heard about (dryness, depression, joint pain, nausea), not to mention some of the horrific less-common side effects, Dr. Kruger dismissed my concerns and told me I wouldn't experience any since he would give me the correct dosage. I thought this was very irresponsible since doctors have a duty to inform patients of potential risks! When I insisted I did not feel ready to try Accutane and wanted to see about some other treatments first, Dr. Kruger told me this was the best my skin would ever get without the drug. When Dr. Kruger finally took a look at my skin, he also told me I had ice pick scarring. I told me the patch of skin he was looking at was active acne, not scarring, he insisted it was ice pick scarring since he's a dermatologist and knows what it looks like. Months later, guess what - I have no ice pick scarring and that patch of acne has calmed down. Overall, Dr. Kruger was condescending and rude. I would not recommend him, both for his poor bedside manner and the fact that he did NOT disclose drug risks and side effects when he wrote me a prescription.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2018

Dr. Kruger was punctual and efficient. Although my condition seemed to rectify itself before my 4 month wait. I still wanted his professional opinion. I would go back to him as he was knowledgeable. However, his front desk lady was rude, not only to me, but also to people on the phone. My initial call with her, I assumed she was having a bad day. But upon meeting her, she does not meet the standard of her position. Claiming she knows how to do her job, obviously not when customer service and general mannerisms was far below par. I do not appreciate instant rudeness when I was super positive and nice. She is his downfall.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2018

Just came from my first appointment with Dr. Kruger. I had read most of these comments, but here in Victoria even getting to a dermatologist is a miracle, so I went for it, even though the reviews seemed mixed. Office was calm, quiet and not busy - granted it was right before lunch. Dr. K was on time, efficient, to-the-point, and answered 2-3 of my questions. He listened well to my background, asked a few questions for clarity, gave me some good advice on what to do/not to do, and dispelled a couple of myths I asked about. I was in and out in 15-20 minuted which was just fine - appropriate and professional.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2017

Exam took less than 2 minutes. Has a sign in his exam rooms that he only treats one thing at a visit and you must book another appointment for a second issue. Appears to be a billing mill. Not recommended.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2017

👎After anxiously waiting 2 months to have a very stressful condition examined by a specialist.... He was very brief in his exam.... approximately 2 seconds... and he claimed he didn't see anything..... I asked politely if he would take a second, more thorough look.... He dismissed my request.... His overall behavior seemed rude and condescending..... He suggested I take a medication that was not well tolerated by my sister and when I told him that he abruptly said..... What do you want.?... very quickly rattling off names of other medications.... saying. 'Which one do you want?' I was mortified at his lack of 'care' and professionalism.... and the arrogant fashion in which he behaved. I left with a prescription.... no explanation... and burst into tears upon leaving the building.... as I was very disappointed and remain feeling that I was not given a proper examination. Or explanation... I would advise others to skip the long wait to see this person and look for a more interested and considerate professional in the field. I will be seeking a better doctor and experience elsewhere, myself... I can only hope that Dr. Kruger reads all of these reviews and has the humility to check his 'practice'

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

I've visited Dr. Kruger for severe acne and scarring. The staff have been very kind and as accommodating as possible. My appointment was to the point and I got exactly what I needed, unlike other dermatologists previously who have just wasted a lot of my time. Downsides the office is busy, and phones cannot always be answered, but Dr Kruger is good at getting what you need durring the appointment and the staff are organized.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2017

Dr Kruger very quickly identified a problem two other doctors misdiagnosed. Very thankful for his help.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

Personally, I didn't find too much of a problem with him. I had alopecia areata and he did indeed diagnosed very quickly. I think when you're suffering with any medical condition I guess you want someone to listen your concern and be sympathetic or caring, which is understandable because we're all humans, but he's a doctor and has many patients to look after. I saw the reviews here before I visited him, which honestly made me a bit nervous, but he wasn't that bad. He did answer my all questions(quickly, of course) and didn't find him arrogant at all, however, he is rushed and you can really tell that he does not have time to chit chat with you. So if you're looking for a doctor who is more relaxed and willing to spend more time talking or listening to you, I don't think he's the one. When he injected cortisone in my head, it didn't hurt at all other than small pinch. Which I was pleasantly surprised because a lot of people said it's gonna hurt. After the injection, he told me to see him in 4 weeks, and got another injection, and after another 4 weeks, I was recovered. The front desk staff was a quite rude on the phone, but she was ok in person...so who knows, maybe she had a bad day. Overall, I didn't find him bad at all...at least for these particular visits.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2017

I went to have a couple of growths removed, was referred by my GP to Dr Kruger. I found the office to be quite busy, but staff were friendly and organized, they were keeping on time with appointments and Dr Kruger was very kind and informative. He removed the growths and stitched me up quickly and efficiently. He made sure I was okay and I went home. Overall, very happy with the experience.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2017