Ratings for Dr. Shaila Misri

She told me that crack babies survive, so my kid would probably be okay (I was on a low dose of antidepressants). Plugged her book 5 times throughout the hour.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

I enjoyed and valued my time with her. Granted I am cis gender and hetero so maybe that made a difference . I would recommend her for sure.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

I absolutely hated her, I saw her only twice during my first pregnancy. I was very young and she made me feel ashamed that I was scared about becoming a teen mother. She tried to prescribe me medication and then had me feeling stupid for asking about side effects. My second appointment I left her room and went straight to the bathroom to cry. She should not be working with vulnerable women.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2016

Dr. Misri, Is a monster. She made me feel ashamed, embarrassed and like a horrible person because I said there is something wrong with my body and this pregnancy, I know my baby is coming early ( he was 11 weeks early). She said I needed to be medicated and kept asking why I wanted to harm my unborn child. I told her none of that was true, but I could tell something was wrong inside. She insisted that I was anxious and unstable and I was going to hurt family behaving this way. After my son was born, I found out I had lupus, that my bladder and uterus were joined together with scarctissue as well as my liver and gallbladder. I had to have multiple surgeries to correct things. They also discovered endometriosis and other diseases that were causing major problems for my reproductive organs. Trust your body, don't trust her.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2016

She is extremely unprepared to help any patients that are not cisgender and heterosexual. I don't really understand what her job is. She couldn't help me with menstrual cramps and when I told her I had dypshoria around my period (which is mental health related) she told me to go back to my GP who had referred me to her in the first place. Not queer or trans* friendly or safe. No desire to listen to me. Basically my options were birth control or and IUD and suffer through dysphoria until my body naturally has menopause. Or go to the US. She actually suggested that. Because I have millions of dollars just sitting around to use for medical care.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

She's been amazing!! And her connections in the field have helped my whole family. Her knowledge is phenomenal and she's fabulous. The hardest part is scheduling follow-up appointments because she so sought after and has limited hours. She knows her stuff.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016

FOR ANYONE CONSIDERING SEEING THIS DOCTOR: you may wish to record your meeting with her. (You can get voice-activated recorders for $40 at London Drugs. Just slip it in your purse.) There is such a thing as "Standard of Care" and she CAN be made to be accountable. When pregnant, the last thing any of us need is to be in the presence of this walking Personality Disorder. I suspect "reproductive psychiatry" is yet another invented idea to pathologize female complaints by making them biological in origin; it's easier to study, there are fewer variables and the drug companies love it. Whatever PPD you experience, may have a minimal biological component if there are other things going on: how's your spouse treating you, your family, are you the one doing most of the childcare, how much time do you have to yourself to have fun (remember that?). The more I pondered that, the better things got because I started delegating far more duties to other family members. They got pissy and I went away to read a book. I felt great. I got my power back the minute she gave me grief but no one should have to do this. We all deserve compassion and respect. Take care out there.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2016

I saw Dr Misri in December of 2013 and have been meaning to write a review in the hope of saving other women experiencing PPD or PPA a terrible experience. I began experiencing terrible anxiety as my 9 month old daughter began to wean. I went to a walk in clinic and was referred to Dr Misri at Womens Reproductive Health. (Later when I was able to get into my own doctor he voiced that he would have preferred I have seen a different psychiatrist - I only assume he had heard negative stories before). She made me feel like a child, was very condescending and had a terrible bedside manner. For a psychiatrist treating women with post partum depression and anxiety and in their vulnerable state it is absolutely imperative to be gentle and compassionate - she was opposite. She prescribed me medication and with every day that I took it I only got worse. My mom came to stay with me and would call Dr Misri every day for a few days letting her know that I was getting worse and she was very worried. Dr Misri actually said, "I don't know why you keep calling me." She increased the dosage of the same medication and I got even worse quickly. Finally my mom found another psychiatrist at a private clinic who got me off that medication and I started to feel much better under her care. I would HIGHLY advise seeking help elsewhere. And a message to any women experiencing PPD/PPA - you will get better and feel like yourself again, I promise.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016

I am commenting here to add my voice to those who had a terrible experience with Dr. Misri, and feel that she should not be treating such vulnerable patients. I went to her the later part of pregnancy, dealing with some depression and anxiety. I found her to be confrontational, devoid of compassion, and completely uninterested in my answers to her rapid-fire questions. When,y partner attended an appointment with me, she was rude and dismissive to him as well. I felt that on she had ruled be out as a candidate for medication, she had not more interest in me. She actually told me to "just try not the think about the things that make you anxious." I have never felt so belittled or condescended to my a health professional. My partner and I were both in tears by the end of the appointment. If you are looking for sensitive, empathetic care, please ask to see a different doctor.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2015

I recently saw Dr. Misri because I was experiencing very high anxiety as I neared the birth of my baby and I was not able to function normally. Dr. Misri was attentive, organized, and straightforward during our appointment. I appreciated her no-nonsense, direct approach. I found it reassuring. When she heard me say I was most concerned about panicking during my actual delivery she made sure I knew who I could ask for (by name), that would be on shift at the hospital when my baby was due, so I could get extra support if needed. She also referred me to a specialist suited to my needs for more long term care. I can understand that people who are looking for some one to hand them a tissue and gently ask how they feel would be jarred by her more direct approach. Not all doctors match up well with all patients, and some people really need a very gentle touch when they are under stress. Dr. Misri's more brisk, professional manner matched up very well with my needs and concerns. I instantly felt I could trust her judgment and her recommendations so I found that very comforting and helpful.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2015