Ratings for Dr. Peter Matthews

Our 17 year old son was referred to him by our family doctor in P.A.Our son was already diagnosed with bi-polar disorder by a psychiatrist in P.A.We just wanted a second opinion.What a waste of time! Dr. Matthews after taking a brief history said that our son was not bi- polar and recommended that he be taken off all medication. We did not feel this was the thing to do.Now 3 years later he is seeing yet another psychiatrist in P.A.finally is on the proper dose of medication for bi-polar disorder and is doing well. Dr. Matthews believes that this disorder does not exist.We think otherwise.We think it would have not been a good situation had he come off all his meds.We had been through hell with him before he was on any meds.Very scary situations.Would not recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2012

This guy is so damned old and senile, he can't even keep his patient's straight. He recants past visit and it had nothing at all to do with you - but a different patient. What's worse, he reports inaccurate information to other medical practitioners, who wonder what the heck he is talking about. He refers to what he thinks was the reason for referral from the referring Dr. and the referring Dr. said nothing of the sort. This guy needs to see a shrink! His assessment is based on what 5 minutes of someone's life, because he spends more time bragging about himself than anything else! Doctors like this need to have their license pulled and forced to retire! He has no idea of reality and his demeanor and braggart character suggested he had been drinking or dipping into some sort of illegal substance. The man is very full of himself and quick to judge others on a 1 or 2 word reply to his innane questions! He is clueless!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2009

He didnt listen to me, was rude, and insulting. He made me feel nervous and terrible. Like I was wasting his time by seeking help for my child. How can you yay or nay a diagnosis without listening?

flag | Submitted September 11, 2009

This guy is a jerk and does not know how to treat confused parents who need help for their child. Doesn't listen to what we have to say and treats us like we know nothing about our child. Highly NOT recommended.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2009

After initial appt I was hopeful. He seemed to take a good history. Unfortunately he didn't take any notes cause at repeat visits I had to rehash everything I told him on previous visits more than once. Prescribed 3 different meds for me over 2 months that didn't work and made me feel like crap. Am now trying to find another dr.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2009

Re the past comment that the Dr likes to prescribed medication that is not needed, and the fact that what the tell the patient and what they write in your chart or to your family doctor are contradictory - is not only true for this particular Doctor, but seems to be the norm for all doctors, GP's and Specialists! It seems this tactic is well-versed in med school! Some claim they don't want to upset the patient by telling them the truth, but most often Doctors have absolutely no idea how to diagnose their patients because of their serious lack of knowledge and listening skills! Many patients are already undiagnoses or assumed tobe diagnosed before they even see the patient, by what they have seen from the previous health records. Many very sick people are automatically deemed hypochondriacs, causing the patient and family years of stress, trauma and indignity! Very few good physicians left here!

flag | Submitted June 19, 2009

Dr. Matthews is the best psychiatrist I've ever had. I can appreciate why some people find him rude, but really, that's just British bluntness. You just have to take his words at face value and not try to read into them. He has shown me immense compassion and understanding. He has saved my life more than once. I agree, he's not for everyone, but he's an amazing doctor for some of us.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2008

Like the first comment I am now confused. While in Dr Matthews office with my son for an ADHD appointment his opinion was that my son had NO problems whatsover for him to fix - and then I recieve a copy of the letter he sent to my GP stating that there may be some ADHD present and that I was considering a trial period with some drugs! In his office he said my son was a very smart boy who probably was bored in the classroom! Has he got us mixed up with another patient - or is he on some sort of commision for wrting these type of letters?

flag | Submitted December 24, 2007

I was referred to Dr. Matthews by my GP and I didn't have much issues getting settled in with him. It was a little like talking to my Grandfather. In fact we got to some root issues. At the end of my first session I felt that his services and medications was not really necessary. So I just discontinued any other visits. I was a little put out that his letter to my Doctor stated that he thought I needed to be on pretty harsh meds. This blew my mind. I was very shocked by this there was 2 totally different tones, the one in the office and the one that he wrote to my Doctor with. I am a little weary about him being a pill pusher and that he was trying to get me back in just so that he could increase his patient list. I have another shrink and I do not need meds just some more day light. I am doing very well with out them.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2007

Excuse me? He knows about bipolar disorder? When I visited him with my son who has since been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, he practically laughed me out of the office at even the suggestion. His mindset is old style, and he was quick to judge some of the doctors we had seen in the past. No respect for his medical opinion - sorry Dr. Matthews - but you should know that just like you laughed at me while in your office, two of my sons future doctors laughed at you and your diagnosis! I want to quote a rather rude comment I read in a book about bad doctors, but also want this post to rather take the tone of maturity and the high road with its criticism.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2007