Ratings for Dr. Philippa Brain

She put me on Lupron for a large fibroids and downplayed the risks of this poison. Lupron was prescribed to shrink the fibroids before surgery so the scar could be smaller. I was not asked if this was a concern to me. She said you might have hot flashes and feel hormonal. I was supposed to have a shot once a month for 6 months. I had one shot 5 days ago and the side effects are terrifying. Her nurse told me not to look online before she injected it saying don’t worry a lot of people take it. I waited 3 months to get a consultation with her and I trusted her to help me as the fibroids distend my stomach and I look pregnant. I pray my health is not permanently damaged. My joints are aching, I’ve had a migraine day and night since, I can’t stop crying my mood swings are terrible, I’m in a fog, can’t concentrate or think straight, blurry vision, My skin is sucked dry, vaginal dryness, Bloating, diarea, cramps, constant urination, exhaustion, insomnia, anxiety, paranoia, neck pain, numb fingers and toes, acne. And who knows what is to come. Do not take Lupron the side effects are life changing and absolutely terrible and many women have these painful side effects for life. I see a naturopath next week I pray my health is not permanently damaged. This Dr. must have a financial interest in dulling out this poison. Thousands of women have had their lives ruined by Lupron and have signed petitions to get this pulled from the market. I feel violated by Dr. Brain and her nurse who put it in my body knowing full well the dangers but not telling me. I plan on investigating if she is paid in anyway by this pharmaceutical company . Do not go to this Dr. Do not let these evil people put poison in your precious body. I would rather have a bigger scar from surgery then ruin my health for life. Why would any Dr. Think this is an option. Shameful.. why would she do this to me? I just can’t make sense if it. I’m terrified for the future of my health. I’m young only 41 and was healthy and full of life 5 days ago and now my future is unknown. I hope since I only had one shot my pititutary gland is not permanently damaged See the link below thousands of women warn against Lupron. https://www.petition2congress.com/ctas/investigation-lupron-side-effects-leuprolide-acetate/comments/page/3

flag | Submitted May 13, 2018

My experience with this doctor is old now but the effects of it still continue. In 2005 she treated my prolapse with a MESH TVT. Problems were immediate and continuing requiring further surgery. She totally washed her hands of me and I was fortunate to find another doctor who could alleviate some of my problems. A few years later a perforated colon (nobody would admit it was from the Mesh she implanted) put me into septic shock and I was in ICU on life support. Multiple surgeries and many months in hospital and now many years later I live my life with PICS and post-sepsis syndrome. I hope she has quit doing mesh involved surgery.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2018

Terrible experience!I wish I could give 0 stars......

flag | Submitted March 7, 2018

Went to see this Dr with concerns of a “mass” on my ovaries. My mom had previously passed from ovarian cancer. I had never met Dr Brain and she entered the room with a male student (?) colleague, not sure which, took a look at my chart and told me she was going to prescribe birth control pills to see if it would make this go away. I said but I am concerned that we don’t know what this is as of yet as I have only had an ultra sound and not heard anything back? Her comment to me is well then you and I both know that if this is ovarian cancer, you only have a 10% survival rate. (This was several years back) she excused herself and the two of them said they would be right back. I phoned a friend sobbing at what was said to me and told me to get out of there now! I got dressed and left! Never looked back. Told my GP was referred to another Dr who did a full hystectomy on me within three weeks and I have never looked back! I just can’t believe she is still practicing!

flag | Submitted December 18, 2017

Dr. Brain is an amazing doctor. Is always friendly and always helpful.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2017

She is very condescending and her 'bed side' manner is non-existent. 'Her way or no way' attitude. I was told no and to find another ob. She didn't offer to recommend anyone else. Terrible experience.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

Best doctor ever !! Dr Brain is an awesome doctor and always listens to your problems and very knowledgable and helpful.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2017

She is very smug and condescending. I was at her office and later that night was at the hospital needing a circlage surgery. 1 day post op she comes into my room and asks why I didn't tell her I had bleeding, as if to shrug off any fault her lack of follow through caused the situation. I did in fact inform her and the nurses I had bleeding.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

I liked her when a patient but have since learned Dr. Brain is irresponsible. I know her practise is very busy but she couldn't be bothered to dictate an operation report after my surgery. FMC has no medical details of the extent of the surgery she did, which included both ovaries and Fallopian tubes removal, a D&C, and hysteroscopy, because there is nothing in my hospital chart or on Netcare. If another gyne consult is needed, another doctor won't know what was done as everything is in her handwriting in her private office chart. I thought is was illegal not to file a formal medical report. It shows a lack of care on her part. Her staff would not even help to tell her there was no report filed. I'm very disappointed she can get away with that and would not recommend her for that reason.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2016

very smart when you don't ask specific question, she do not answer you but ask you for suggestion. For her any symptoms, tension, stress, anxiety or pain doesn't matter cause you will be fine. Then right after leave you in the room in a unprofessional manner. In a way slapping the door in your face

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016