Ratings for Dr. Alan B. Leahey

Cataract surgery - that should have been easy job since he does it every day, was screwed up. He sent me home and had to go back in an hour because of complication, doesn't even want to do follow up, complained it took him 2 minutes longer than his usual, and still doesn't want to see me. Claims it is whatever I had before - but doesn't even check it. They give me appointment every other week, and I have been going for the last almost year - no resolution - in the mean time the other physician in the group gets paid and my vision is getting worse. He sped thru the surgery since he wants to do as many surgeries as possible in the day and wouldn't even answer my questions. The pre and post-op medications were not explained to me correctly that I kept using what I had before and they claim that is what messed up the eyes. Again, he is the worst Ophthalmologist to trust if you think you have anything serious going on. Now I am paying to go somewhere else and it is 11 months past.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2012

Went to Dr Leahey to see if I was a candidate for LASIK. I was. However, it was discovered that I had an early stage cataract problem in both eyes. Leahey said the cataracts were not at the point where surgery was needed yet. So I had the LASIK and after months the sight was still not 20/20. Leahey said it was the cataracts causing the problem and that they were ready to be removed. I'm in my mid 40's and trusted the expertise of the doctor. The catarct was removed from one eye and the result was WORSE than before surgery. Leahey told me I could have the new lens exchanged if I wanted. I need to see clearly so I agreed. Two days before surgery his office called to tell me that my insurance wouldn't cover the procedure because it was considered "cosmetic". The woman from Leahey's office said that the first lens was made based on measurements which should have been correct and any exchange would be billed to me. I cancelled the surgery and am seeking a second opinion. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

flag | Submitted February 21, 2011

flag | Submitted July 12, 2010

This guy tried to charge me $5000 for LASIK! I walked out when they floored me with this priceI got it done about 5 miles from his office for $699 per eye. I see great and still have money in the bank. Go to Acuity for your laser vision correction. They don’t make you wait 3 hours or charge a King’s ransom for the laser eye surgery.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2010

I had a growth removed from my eye Aug 3, 09 by Dr. Leahey. I found him very informtive and explained the operation fully to me. His team did a very fine job during and after the surgery which took 20mins. I can't wait to have my cataracts removed 3 months from now with Dr. Leahey and his team!!

flag | Submitted August 12, 2009

Had CK surgery to eliminated the need for reading glasses. There was minimal improvement and I still needed reading glasses and lost my night vision. When I told him I could not see at night to drive, he threw his hands in the air and said that dose not make any sense, told me to come back in two months and walk out of the exam room. Dr Leahey also pays his employees to go out and solicit patients for his elective surgeries.Dr Leahey was very unhelpful, very arrogant,and showed no concern or compassion for his patients. The patient is not paramount with Dr. Leahey

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

I had custom Lasik with Leahey 2 years ago. The result: one eye is perfect, the other terrible. I get headaches often. I hate keeping eyes opened and think about my decision to have this done with Alan all the time. He surely counts my case as a success, because I am 20/20 on both eyes. What these numbers do not tell you is that the two eyes are so different that I have trouble correcting my vision even with glasses. The bad eye has a strong astigmatism from the Lasik and has a fuzzy double image. It is also very dry and drops do not help much. The reason I blame Alan is that he did an inadequate job during the measurement visit. The only reason my good eye came out good was that I requested a re-measurement after he finished measuring. He resisted, but eventually remeasured that eye and found a good correction. Why didn't I ask to re-measure the other eye? My best answer is because of Alan's strong ego and dismissive personnality. After Lasik he refused to do anything more.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2008

Lack of professionalism and empathy for his patients. His administrative staff is rude and mirrors his less then desirable personality.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2006

Dr. Alan B. Leahey's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1987)