You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Raymond L. Duncan

He threw my new born upside down and down side up to get a kick out of the new parents reaction and show who was in charge. Lets see if this baby is strong enough to survive without breaking its neck. Utterly un professional. Arrogant and unhelpful. He's been around forever and I get the feeling he is respected by some because he is part of the furniture. His staff are excellent but he treats them poorly to show them who's boss. Dont let this guy touch your new born.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2016

I wrote the long comment below, and I'd like to revise my original statement because I saw the doc again recently. Even though I've been going to Dr. Duncan for years he managed to surprise me, and I see him differently. I still stand by some of what I said, but I would say now that he is not close-minded so much as maybe seeming that way in initial interaction. He can seem very brash when speaking (though funny in a dry way as well haha), but he IS listening, and I realize that now. I appreciate about that when looking for a diagnosis, he incorporates outlying & new symptoms, but he does not pursue erroneous conclusions. He is very, very good at knowing whether a symptom is relevant (as in, malignant or not). His first conclusions are overwhelmingly correct, but in the case that they aren't, he will immediately switch gears. Dr. Duncan only retains what is necessary to help you; he's purely efficient. A lot of this just comes from his personality & intelligence I suppose, but he does his research. Current research. He's very up-to-date, always. He is not afraid to run tests, but they are not throwaway—he's aware of what is currently most accurate (sometimes even moreso than the people working at the lab in the same building lol) as well as whether the test is necessary. His bedside manner irks me, because I tend to be long-winded & he cuts me off, but I'm aware now that it doesn't in any way hinder his effectiveness as a doctor and I need to get over it. (Lol!) Very glad I still have him as a doctor; he knows his stuff. Feel free to view my response below as well when deciding whether he's the right doctor for your child, just note that this is the most recent response. Also, his current nurse is very kind & good at finding veins right away. :-)

flag | Submitted November 26, 2015

I've been going to this Raymond Duncan since I was a baby; I'm currently in my late teens. He's without a doubt very knowledgeable and truly does go above and beyond when it comes to helping his patients. He honestly does want to help children & their families. However, he's not the most open-minded person and is very opinionated. When I was younger this was no issue, but since I have grown up a bit and have an idea of what works for me as far as my health, it can be very frustrating. I can nearly always anticipate being cut off in the middle of explaining my symptoms or while mentioning a new medication I've been prescribed by another doctor (for example, my ADHD meds—they work awesome btw and for the first time in my life I'm getting A's and B's!), often condescendingly. One of the unpleasant occurrences of his strong opinions rearing their heads was when I first started wearing bras (around 10 years old—I was an early bloomer and needed them) and he informed me that I was "growing up too fast" and told my mother that I didn't need to wear them. I remember the frustration I felt after that, and I took off my bras before heading into his office for a long time after that event. I don't mean to imply that there was anything sketchy about the situation! Rather, he upholds very traditional viewpoints, even when they might not be best for a child's health or comfort. He also does not always readily acknowledge the correlation between the brain and body, and because of this it was a very long time before I got diagnosed for my chronic pain caused by somatoform disorder & was able to get help. Ultimately, just use your best judgement on whether he is right for your child, and listen to their impressions on him as well. Perhaps he and I just don't match up well! (Also in case this matters to you, the wait time can sometimes be quite long, although it's not due to laziness. He just has quite a bit of people to see and tries to devote as much time as possible to them.)

flag | Submitted October 22, 2015

Dr. Duncan was present when my twins were born by emergency C-Section. He is a conservative doctor who doesn't prescribe medications unless they are absolutely indicated. He is the kind of doctor I want for my children who are now teenagers and still his patients. He know them very well and goes above and beyond the time insurance reimbuses to speak with them about all the facets of live that can affect their health. I do not have any desire to send my kids to any other pediatrician because he really cares about my children's wellbeing.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2011

This Dr is very knowledgable and straight to the point. He may be old school but boy does he know his stuff. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes to see him. I switched to him after a poor experience with another Dr and couldnt be happier.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2011

I found this older physician to be profoundly opinionated. rude, and disrespectful. He has no value for the opinions of those who we consulted who are clear superior experts in areas he is not an expert. I suppose since he was here when Naples was a fishing town, he feels he is the father of all child medicine in SW FL. I would never see him again. He is rigid, hostile and very narrow in an eccentric manner.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2010

Dr. Raymond L. Duncan's Credentials

• Univ Of Mn Med Sch-Minneapolis, Minneapolis Mn 55455 (Grad. 1970)

Updates

• A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "He threw my new born upside down and down side up to get a kick out of the new parents reaction and show who was in charge. Lets see if this baby is strong enou..."

April 13, 2016
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "I wrote the long comment below, and I'd like to revise my original statement because I saw the doc again recently. Even though I've been going to Dr. Duncan for..."

November 26, 2015
  • A new 3.2-star rating has been posted. "I've been going to this Raymond Duncan since I was a baby; I'm currently in my late teens. He's without a doubt very knowledgeable and truly does go above and b..."

October 22, 2015