Ratings for Dr. Theresa Isomura

I was INVOLUNTARILY committed by an ER doctor after being taken to VGH by my EAP at work in Vancouver. I'd had a complete nervous breakdown, a mixed manic depressive psychotic episode. I was later transferred to RCH because I live in Coquitlam. When I got out of hospital I was referred to Dr Isamora where I was basically made to feel like there was absolutely nothing wrong with me (I was miraculously cured, NOT!) and I was just wasting her time. The next time I landed in hospital I was so overwhelmed by yet another bipolar episode that I had tried to commit suicide. By this time I had no faith the mental health "care" system. I was completely broken and I felt like a burden.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2016

Dr. Isomura is responsible for a medical error she made in assessing me. Dr. Isomura is pleasant enough as a person and I understand she has been recognized for her contributions to mental health, but I am writing this to caution anybody who may see her individually in a clinical capacity. She was 1 1/2 hours late for my appointment, the appointment felt like an interrogation, she was not attentive and she made a hasty and unjustifiable decision to use the Mental Health Act to have me arrested and detained. I believe she was too tired to exercise good judgement or possibly she lacked a clear understanding of the legal requirements for arrest under the MHA. Or worse, she just wanted to exercise her authority. She has left me with terrible nightmares and struggling with each day; in the end, she simply shooed me away like a dog. She never acknowledged the harm made by her decision and never apologized. A position paper has been written by Dr. Groves for the BC Civil Liberties regarding the improper use of the MHA and concerned patients should read this; the MHA needs amendments to prevent similar misuse. The Police would never be able to sidestep scrutiny for a questionable arrest. Anybody who has ever been held against their will and forced to submit to indignities, will understand what I feel. Should this ever be read by Dr. Isomura, please know that I felt it necessary to do what I could to prevent any other patient from experiencing the consequences that I have been put through. I am sorry, Dr. Isomura - I had hoped you would have helped me deal with the ongoing and seemingly permanent emotional fallout arising from your mistake. Instead you turned your back and walked away leaving me to deal with the thoughts and nightmares that your decision exploded on me. You had moral, ethical and legal responsibilities. I needed to know that you were sorry for the chaos you have created in my life but I guess you felt it more important to protect your self-esteem than do what would have been helpful for a patient. Please don't be so quick to make a decision that could leave a patient's life barely worth living anymore. And when you make a mistake (you're human and it's okay), an apology can be powerfully therapeutic.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2014