Ratings for Dr. Lawrence Hirst

I have had 3 Pterygium Operations! My first surgery on my right eye was very unsuccessful. Another Dr performed the operation! After that surgery I had alot of complications! My eye was constantly throbbing, very red and ached 24/7. After returning 4 times to the dr that performed the operation complaining that things weren't right, Ide had enough! Got no where. My local optometrist referred me to Dr Hirst. Dr Hirst is actually one of the fewer Doctors I have come across in my life that actually cares about his patients! He is so thorough in regards to the information provided i was actually overwhelmed! He operated on my left eye first. Omg the difference post surgery compared to the first op was amazing! My eye was hardly red. Within 3 months my eye was nearly normal. I went back to Dr Hirst 8months later to see if he could fix my right eye after previous unsuccessful surgery. He warned me that the result may not be as good as it was the 2nd time round for this eye! Well Its 3 months later and my eye is nearly back to normal. No aching, no throbbing and no red eyes! Dr Hirst has done an amazing job on both my eyes! Him and his staff go out of there way for you and nothing is too hard. They are very accommodating to your personal situation! I have had perfect results for both my eyes and I couldn't be happier. The post op care i received was outstanding. I cannot speak highly enough. I would certainly recommend anyone that is suffering from pterygium to go and see Dr Hirst and his wonderful staff. You wont be disappointed!

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

I have had surgery on both eyes for Pterygium removal by Dr Hirst. One was a first time and the other was for a previous unsuccessful surgery which I had many years prior from another doctor elsewhere. Both experiences were exactly as explained by Dr Hirst and his staff, so I knew what to expect, what the process would be and what the recovery would entail. I was a very nervous patient and this really put my mind at ease and made me feel very comfortable. Both experiences were conducted in an extremely professional manner with wonderful results. Every detail was covered, the staff were very caring and comforting and I felt I was being very well looked after throughout the whole process. I would highly recommend Dr Hirst and his team.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Having had a previous pterygium removed with another method and now having had Dr Hirst P.E.R.F.E.C.T method of treatment I would recommend anyone in using Dr Hirst the Australian Pterygium Centre and Brisbane Eye Hospital. From initial consultation the operation/recovery and final consultation were conducted in a highly professional manner with excellent result with very little discomfort or pain. I closing again excellent result and highly recommend the teams involved in my treatment.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2017

I had my pterygium removed by Dr Lawrence Hirst in January this year at the Brisbane Eye Hispital. At the initial consultation the operation and the following treatment was carefully outlined. The operation went exactly to plan and I now have a perfect result. It was a marvellous experience and I would recommend Dr Hirst and his team to anyone with a pterygium.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2017

I grew up in the sun and at 35 years old I had already spent several years embarrassed and uncomfortable because of my Pterygium. What started as a bloodshot eye (people would often ask if I was tired, suffering from allergies, or if I had drunk too much), soon became a visible growth which I felt everyone was staring at all the time. I couldn’t wear my contact lenses, blinking irritated my eye, and I was using eye drops every hour in an attempt to clear the redness and relieve the itching. At a regular check-up, my optometrist recommended Dr. Lawrence Hirst as a number of her other clients had great results with P.E.R.F.E.C.T for PTERYGIUM. Having never had any form of surgery before I was extremely nervous but I knew I had to do something to help the discomfort and improve my self-esteem. 11 months since my initial consultation, I am so grateful that I made that appointment. All discomfort is gone, I’m no longer reliant on drops, and I feel so much more confident. I even receive compliments on my eyes. So why P.E.R.F.E.C.T for PTERYGIUM? I know the website will explain the improved recovery time and reduced recurrence rate, but my top 5 reasons are: - From the moment of my first consultation to final evaluation I felt Dr. Hirst and his team were highly professional, experienced and I knew I was in safe hands. They are a ‘well-oiled machine’ which ensures everything happens on time and as expected. - At no point did I feel I was out of my depth or unsure of what was going to happen with the procedure. Dr. Hirst took the time to clearly outline all steps of the procedure, what to expect regarding recovery, and made sure I was 100% comfortable. All questions were answered before booking the surgery. - I like to think I am brave, however having never had any surgery I was terrified about anaesthetic, and even more so about twilight surgery. The whole team at the Cataract Clinic in North Sydney (Dr. Hirst’s Sydney location) were amazing. The nurses, anaesthetist and Dr. Hirst made me really comfortable, again explaining everything so I knew what was going to happen and when. I really couldn’t believe how quick and painless it all was when the procedure was over. - My recovery was quick and easy. I made sure to follow the aftercare procedure properly and aside from some initial pain in the first few days (easily managed with the prescribed pain relief and sleep) and a red and lazy eye for about a fortnight, things were back to normal for me very quickly. The personal phone check-ups from Dr. Hirst following the surgery were great, and again he answered my questions and put me at ease right away. - I recently had my final check-up. I didn’t realise how nervous I was that my Pterygium might return until I heard that it was gone for good. After walking out of the clinic for the last time I couldn’t stop smiling and I had to call my family to tell them the good news. What an amazing feeling. A little under a year from my first consultation I am Pterygium free, and my only regret is that I didn’t hear about Dr. Hirst and P.E.R.F.E.C.T for PTERYGIUM sooner. I absolutely recommend Dr. Hirst. If you are shopping around or considering a standard operation elsewhere, I say stop looking and make a booking for a consultation with Dr. Hirst today.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

My both eyes had Pterygium. It had started at the corner of my eyes, over the cornea, covering one side of the iris and had just started to grow over the edge of the pupil and therefore was affecting my vision. I went to several doctors around the world and all recommended immediate surgery involving removing the Pterygium and grafting a piece of sclera from under my upper eyelid to the place where the Pterygium was removed from, I was told that this type of surgery severely limits the chances of Pterygium regrowth. I operated my “right eye” from an overseas doctor in South Asia and it was a nerve wracking experience and I am still having minor post-surgery complications. Keeping in view my ‘right eye’ experience I researched for the best doctor in the world and selected Dr Lawrie Hirst based in Australia for my ‘left eye’ surgery. I am based overseas, so I contacted Dr Hirst thru email, sent my details/eye photos and he accepted me for surgery. My first meeting with him was very cold and first impression was that he is a bit arrogant; however, I was so wrong. At the day of my surgery Dr Hirst told me that the procedure would be painless and that I will be awake. Indeed the operation was painless and was extremely well managed. Dr Hirst personally supervised it all, I must say it was a experience to remember. Outstanding surgery and pain management by the doctor. Personal assurance from the surgeon was par exellence. A difference of “Day and Night” when I compare it to my earlier (right eye) surgery performed in a different country. Dr Hirst personally managed post-operation follow up. My recovery was very fast and almost pain free. Prof. Hirst warned me that after the Pterygium removal, I will need a carer and support. I would have struggled had my Sister's family not been around to manage all post-surgery care i.e. applying eye drops, medication management and care for other personal needs. My Sister and her family made me very comfortable. The care and love shown by them was amazing and a real blessing. It is now fourth month after surgery. My “left eye” operated by Dr Hirst is in perfect shape and I am very satisfied at this point. Dr Hirst and his staff has been excellent, I travelled from abroad to meet Dr Hirst at his clinic in Brisbane. All was very well managed and arranged. I strongly recommend him to all Pterygium patient. Dr Hirst is a very professional, empathetic, conscientious, forthright and above all a very caring doctor .

flag | Submitted August 30, 2015

My recurrent Pterygium defeated the best guy in the UK. It regrew in 6 weeks, involved the muscle which resulted in double vision and my eye had very little movement. I had heard Dr. Hirst is the world No. 1 Pterygium surgeon, so took the plunge and flew to Brisbane for removal of the growth, plus a graft. All went smoothly. Six months on and my eye looks and behaves completely normally and there is no sign of regrowth. Dr. Hirst was always courteous and professional and extremely thorough. He even phones, between follow-ups, to check your progress. I recommend him unreservedly - don't go to the others; Dr. Hirst's procedure has an extremely low rate of recurrence. In the hands of other surgeons, up to 40% of Pterygia reappear. Costwise he is slightly more than the UK, but it is a small premium to get the best.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2015

I came from interstate to see Dr Hirst. I had had multiple other attempts to remove my ptyergium in the past but it always came back. Dr Hirst removed it using some fancy operation he invented and so far it hasn't come back after 18 months so fingers crossed. He seems to know his stuff and has lots of degrees on his wall. He is a bit stuffy and serious but I guess that comes with the territory. He is also expensive ($3000) and I didn't get much back on my health insurance but as long as the thing never comes back I don't mind. Forget the rest and go to the best I guess. Highly recommend Dr Hirst.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2014