Ratings for Dr. Bill MacKie

I can't really comment on his knowledge, as I haven't been the recipient of it. He talks a lot about all his experience, but has been completely ineffective in advocating for me, and working to get me moving again, which is what I thought was the whole point of a sports doctor. My experience with him has been terrible. Went to see him for my knee, and on that first visit, taking my knee through the routine physical test to determine where the damage was, he was so rough with me that I was yelling in pain and begging him to stop. Before seeing him, I had no less than three different physicians do the same test on me, without inducing the same degree of pain he did. That should have been a clue, but no, I doggedly continued, thinking his resume and experience as long as my arm was somehow validating. He was quick to misdiagnose me, and send me on my way, telling me I'd be better in 3 days. My follow up appointment, he didn't even show. Had some junior doctor do it for him. He only referred me for an ultrasound at my 3rd appointment, 3 months later, when *surprise*, I wasn't better-- still in daily pain, still limping, still locking/ collapsing, still inflamed knee. Then we get my ultrasound results back, oh shock, it's not tendonitis as he so loudly proclaimed. There's a tear, so he decides we should get an MRI. Now we're 5 months in. Nothing to show for it yet. No improvement to my condition. No advocating for me. I should add that this knee injury has been ongoing for a year and has severely hampered my ability to engage in the sports that I did previously. As in, NONE sports. If I walk for more than a 1/2 hour I end up limping, and my knee is extremely unstable, and he has essentially told me that I have to live with it. I've found his attitude to be cavalier, completely condescending and dismissive. He has never really taken the time to explain to me in detail what my injury is. I've had better quality of care from the doctor at the walk in clinic. In nearly 6months of seeing him, he has done zero for me, except misdiagnose me, send me for imagining too late, and then tell me I have to live with it. I'm not sure what part of 'can't walk' he is missing. Utterly utterly disappointing.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2016

Dr. Mackie was amazing in diagnosing my knee. Although his appoinments were puched around 20 minutes late, the service he put out was amazing. He was able to diagnose me with 1 physical test. And with his diagnosis, he quickly reffered me to get an MRI, and thus he was right in his diagnosis and then i went off to have surgery a few months later.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2015

I have seen Dr. Mackie few times and after waiting to see a specialist for months I left very dissapointed. He may have 40 years experience but he certainly forgot how to do a proper assessment before jumping to a diagnosis, very poor listening skills (if not terrible), and felt the appointments are centred on his ego and how he talks about his experience with athletes all these years and didn't even took the time to assess my knee. He is very unclear with his plan of treatment and zero empathy. I had heard some comments about his "care" (or lack of) at a physiotherapist clinic but after meeting him few times I feel he was disrespectful, lack of professionalism, no listening or assessment skills and no empathy.....regardless of his years of experience. Terrible experience. I really hope doctors take their job seriously and remember the true meaning of CARE.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

The best doctor I have seen! He knows his stuff and you can tell that he cares about the patient. I am proud to call him my doctor.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2014

I can not think of any other business or service that has been as bad as this Dr.Absolutely no respect for your time. I have been to him 4 times and he is consistently about an hour late. Then he doesn't want to spend more than a few minutes with the you. I actually signed up with this site just for him, while waiting.Likely this will be the last time I'm eating my time with this guy. This is the price to pay for a health care under monopoly and no competition ....

flag | Submitted July 28, 2014

Great doctor! He has helped me with my knees more than any other doctor. He works hard to make me feel better with exercises, meds, shots and diagnoses with imaging tests. Great sports medicine doctor he is worth the time to get the referal. He follows up and answers all questions.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2013

In 1977, shortly after he took over an established practice in Victoria, I presented with a brain aneurysms and blood clots. It was solely his action to run some simple tests that revealed the life threatening condition. I truly owe my life to him and Dr. Cameron who performed the 7.5 hour long operation. I was 18. I am now 53 a father of 5 and grandfather of 10. On second thoughts maybe I shouldn't be so thankful as now I have to work till I'm 90 to cover the birthday and Xmas presents. Thanks so much for all these 35 years I would not have had without you! Kevin Middleton

flag | Submitted February 1, 2013

He has been my doctor for 30 years now. From time to time I will go to a walk in clinic closer to work or home and in comparison, I have to say that he is still the best. He is busy - who ever heard of anyone who is Good who is not busy? If you really need it, he will make extra time. You can always book another appointment to see him again - he cannot know in advance that you need 20 or 30 minutes. When he makes extra time for you or someone else, he will get behind - it happens. Years ago I relied more on his sports med expertise. Now I have other issues and he has been able to refer me to some of the best specialists in the city.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2013

Bill Mackie as a great doctor very knowledgeable and help full!he has helped me with my knees elbows hips sports injury and my "MS" an absolutely fantastic doctor!

flag | Submitted August 28, 2012

Took the time to provide a detailed explanation of my knee injury without insulting my intelligence. He seemed genuinely interested in helping me to heal unlike previous specialists that I have seen in the two years since the injury. Not impressed with the staff in his office though (The Doctor's Office on West Broadway) as they made a mistake with my MRI referral causing me to wait over a year for the scan. Follow up on referrals, do not trust that they have done it correctly!

flag | Submitted November 13, 2009